Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddies stage persona

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just bought Queen Live, and after reading it I found thta Freddie was much better on stage before the crazy tour. When the crazy tour started he began swearing, snapping at the audience, being arrogant and saying things like John and Roger are off to get their blowjobs - much to their distaste.

Pre crazy tour freddie was very polite, freindly and almost shy when he talked to the audience. Freddie began using cocaine around the time of the crazy tour and his change in personality could be attributed to this. I am probobly gonna get slammed for this but its what i think anyway.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That book is the most inaccurate piece of crap ever released on Queen...and that includes Rick Skye's 'biography' of Freddie Mercury!

If there's ONE paragraph without errors, it's a legitimate miracle.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So he was "polite, freindly and almost shy" before second half 1979, yeah? OMG... Read QueenConcerts and QueenBootlegs please!

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well not crazy tour before 1978, before jazz came out.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...And the coke has nothing to do with any change. It doesn't effect the psyche, unless consumed in quantities that result in situations like Bowie: dementia, which Freddie was clearly not suffering from.

More likely, it's to do with the effect of fame on a person. And fame came big-time around 1980.

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cocaine makes people more agressive and edgy, its a stimulant so of coarse it effects you, why would people use it.

Bambi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie had great stage persona, I seen them perform in 1977, and 1982 they were great and Freddie was very good with the fans he likes to kid around alot, and has fun,thats Freddie, if he did do drugs before he went on stage, I dont know or ever heard he did, but I dont think he would of jepordized his performance under the influence per say, or the bands. Freddie got high on the adreniline and excitement of performing, that's just my 2 cents worth, but ya never know maybe he was high, all spec.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

I think it all depends on how you define "better". Polite and quiet doesn't always mean a better showman or more entertaining personality. I agree that his persona became more brash and showy but I think that probably went along with an increase in fame and therefore confidence. I have seen the earlier footage and I enjoy the musical performances but he seemed a little unsure of himself back then, just introduced the tracks like a kind of MC. I much prefer the 'cheekier' Freddie of the late 70's/80's!

just look at earls court 77, he is very polite and seems very shy so stop bein arseholes and just think bout it.

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh thats exactly what i mean thankyou, and its just my opinion that its better.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liam wrote:

cocaine makes people more agressive and edgy, its a stimulant so of coarse it effects you, why would people use it.

Yes, but Freddie wasn't always 'under the influence'. Especially not during concerts, as it also affects the voice for the worse. And those effects wear off after the drug does, remember?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie always was arrogant on the stage. Freddie called the audience as "you load of tarts" on Earls' shows... If Freddie would be shy on the stage - his name was John Deacon then.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doeeyes wrote:

Freddie had great stage persona, I seen them perform in 1977, and 1982 they were great .

Wow, how lucky! where did you see them perform?

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found the things he said to be really funny... And like the_hero said, he respected the audience. He only cursed if he knew the audience would be alright with it.

-Things Have Changed For Me-
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=yellow/> bismillah!!! wrote:

Freddie was NEVER under the influence of drugs during concerts

Do you have proof, or do you just want to believe that?

I'm pretty convinced that Freddie was high on something in New York on July 28th, 1982. He couldn't put a single sentence together without swearing.

By then he was swearing a lot in concerts because he knew Queen were becoming uncool in the US, so perhaps it was an attempt to appear "cooler".

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

this is all stupid.. it's all personal taste.. did I like Freddie with the sarcastic swearing or without.

It all depends on the audience reaction, British people are more ok with the cursing on stage than for example Japan. You'll never hear a Japanese concert where a Queen member swears. They just respected the audience.

As for the Great Brittain (English) shows Freddie swears a lot and the audience doesn't give a damn and even goes along with it (for example Wembley 86 after the day-O thing Freddie says "fuck you" and the crowd cheers)

Many artist were like that, for example David Coverdale and Ozzy Osbourne.

LOL that was funny when Freddie told the audience fuck you...and it was funny when he went over to get a drink during the "rockabilly" part of the wembley concert, and Roger was like "Ahhhhhhhh" and Freddie was like, I dont care, I need my fucking water!!! Hilarious!!!!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could sit here and speculate till the cows come home about what it was that made Freddie come out of his shell more with the audience.

Doesnt matter to me really. The more shy Freddie or the more camp freddie that says "fuck you" to me on my DVD player, i love him either way. I know its not meant in any malicious way...
Nothing but good fun my dears!
Makes me laugh everytime...
Ever some of the blunders?? Like "Bri's got a big c**K" from some bootleg... not sure of it but i j/ heard the clip online with a few other stage mistakes, but it was funny. Probably embarassing to our dear Bri, but not meant with any malice...

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DreaminQueen wrote:

Doesnt matter to me really. The more shy Freddie or the more camp freddie that says "fuck you" to me on my DVD player, i love him either way.

^hear hear!

actually, i've never really seen freddie perform live. the closest thing i've got is live at wembley. well, he cusses there, right?

bonnzzo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing about this is "IF" there is a noticable difference with Freddie during that period,(I have never looked for any personaly)you can't say that those books were all rubbush. Ok, maybe it wasn't cocane, but like I said "IF" there is a difference, then something changed him and for that part those books were right, they may have blown stuff out of perportion but they were right.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Freddie always was arrogant on the stage. Freddie called the audience as "you load of tarts" on Earls' shows... If Freddie would be shy on the stage - his name was John Deacon then.

I thought he said "you loaded tarts"

Killed by drones.