Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > NEW BOOK ON QUEEN IN THE STUDIO

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read that...

Lester_Burnham is busy writing a book about Queen in general I think.. but it will contain a lot of accurate information about concerts, setlist etc.

Someone added that it was about their work in the studio.

IS THAT RIGHT?

This is interesting. Someone who is actually getting off their bum and doing something constructive.

Lester, are you proposing to talk with those who worked with Queen in the studio, for new insights, or are you planning only to use the data already 'out there' which we've already read?

That is not a dig. I'm intrigued.

a TOTALLY NEW book with NEW info and NEW quotes or interviews, about Queen in the studio, would be most welcome. It's never been done before. Many have spoken about it, but no-one has actually done it!

You are planning to speak with.. Louis Austin, John Anthony, Robin Cable, Roy Baker, Mack, David Richards, Justin Shirley-Smith, Croydon, John Etchells, Geoff Workman, Gary Lyons, Jeff Griffin, Bob Harris, Bernie Griffin (if they're all still around), yes???

You'd need to tie up with at least some of these people for a treu QUEEN IN THE STUDIO record.

Whereas a compilation of the the facts already out there in myriad books and magazines and videos and documentaries, just re-formatted again, would be rather less informative and appealing and almost certainly will offer nothing we don't already know.

Queen in the studio would be a GREAT book indeed, but it has to include new info not published before - of which there is MUCH. Otherwise it isn't worth doing. Surely?

More info please.

Have you made an approach to QPL to see if you might be granted access to anything new?

I'm wondering how serious you are about this Lester and how deep you are prepared to dig in order to proffer something REALLY fascinating. It 'sounds' like a good idea, but how much are you prepered to put into it?

This is ambitious. It's the only such venture I have ever seen undertaken on QZ. Good luck to you if you are serious.

GB

GB
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It 'sounds' like you are not going to like it!
In the sence that I predict that you already know all the info that is in it.

But ask Lester about it, because reading your post I think you are not exactly knowing what the precise subject is to be.
(If you use the 'search' button, btw, you might find a pretty extensive topic in here about the book!)

Oh, by the way; I don't wanna be Lesters spokesman or something, but when he contacted a certain source inside the band about this and asked him if it was possible to only use a couple of quotes from his website, Lester got a polite 'fuck off'... Not very motivating...

Do you ever encounter polite 'fuck offs' from insiders too while doing research?
(Serious question btw!)

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you search for 'username' then the search button is fine.
Looking up Lester's posts by his screenname, should be sufficiant enough in this case, he has not been posting a lot lately.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Reading Princess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FOR GOD'S SAKE. WILL THAT GREG TWAT JUST FUCK OFF!!!

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

FOR GOD'S SAKE. WILL THAT GREG TWAT JUST FUCK OFF!!!

That really doesn't help at all...
I know this can be frustrating but you can always stay somewhat polite.

Reading Princess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know, sorry. GRRRRRR.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I taste a little bit of jealousy here...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Greg. If I were to divulge any information, it would compromise the book. Some things have to remain a surprise. I'm sure you understand.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Sorry Greg. If I were to divulge any information, it would compromise the book. Some things have to remain a surprise. I'm sure you understand.

You know that will drive him crazy :-)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, if Greg can give you contacts, maybe it is worth looking into Lester. I say, check this out. Something is better than nothing in my mind.

Peace,
Adam.

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I particularly like the one excerpt I read from the new book:
While dicussing the guitar lines for Tenement Funster, Brian played a... PROPERTY OF LESTER BURNHAM PRODUCTIONS....riff from a new song he was working on.

Man Made Paradise
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, hon, you should definitely, at the very least, talk to Greg and see if he can aid you with contacts, info he has, etc. I know the people at Queen Productions aren't supid, contrary to popular opinion, so they have to see that this book could potentially be a perfect companion to the box set. At the same time, obviously, it's up to you to decide if you want to get them involved for personal or financial reasons on your part.

Rodney King may have become something as a punchline but his words holds a lot of truth when you think about it, "can't we all get along". Let's think about that for a second. Why are we here? Because we love Queen. From people like me to people with vast collections and inside knowledge like John Stuart, Greg Brookes, Youngstratman and Lester. At the core we're all here because of an appreciation of the music. I think everyone wants a project like this to be as accurate as possible because of how much we admire what the band accomplished and to share it with other like minded fans and to open a door for casual fans to go through. Everyone may need to put egos aside and do what's best for that period of Queen...

I just thought about what I wrote and it sounds like a bunch of sugary bullshit lol but really it was heartfelt when I wrote it.

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

I read that...

Lester_Burnham is busy writing a book about Queen in general I think.. but it will contain a lot of accurate information about concerts, setlist etc.

Someone added that it was about their work in the studio.

IS THAT RIGHT?

This is interesting. Someone who is actually getting off their bum and doing something constructive.

Lester, are you proposing to talk with those who worked with Queen in the studio, for new insights, or are you planning only to use the data already 'out there' which we've already read?

That is not a dig. I'm intrigued.

a TOTALLY NEW book with NEW info and NEW quotes or interviews, about Queen in the studio, would be most welcome. It's never been done before. Many have spoken about it, but no-one has actually done it!

You are planning to speak with.. Louis Austin, John Anthony, Robin Cable, Roy Baker, Mack, David Richards, Justin Shirley-Smith, Croydon, John Etchells, Geoff Workman, Gary Lyons, Jeff Griffin, Bob Harris, Bernie Griffin (if they're all still around), yes???

You'd need to tie up with at least some of these people for a treu QUEEN IN THE STUDIO record.

Whereas a compilation of the the facts already out there in myriad books and magazines and videos and documentaries, just re-formatted again, would be rather less informative and appealing and almost certainly will offer nothing we don't already know.

Queen in the studio would be a GREAT book indeed, but it has to include new info not published before - of which there is MUCH. Otherwise it isn't worth doing. Surely?

More info please.

Have you made an approach to QPL to see if you might be granted access to anything new?

I'm wondering how serious you are about this Lester and how deep you are prepared to dig in order to proffer something REALLY fascinating. It 'sounds' like a good idea, but how much are you prepered to put into it?

This is ambitious. It's the only such venture I have ever seen undertaken on QZ. Good luck to you if you are serious.

GB

1) Well if he didn't bring up anything new he'd be just following in your pathetic footsteps so there's no need to be sarcastic, Mr Mull of Kintyre,
2) If he did speak to people like Robin Cable you'd be annoyed becasue you couldn't be bothered to do it yourself
3) If there's anyone who should be gettin goff their backside, it's you greg, becasue you're paid. Instead you came onto our site and ask where STL got to number 1 in- why can't you be an example if we're so inadequate?

hj
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Well, if Greg can give you contacts, maybe it is worth looking into Lester.

Letting someone run a cheese grater on your back may be helpful also.

Hmmmmm.... Greg Brooks or the Cheese Grater.

GIMME THE GRATER!!!!!!!

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Asterik. You are a moron. Everyone else understood my point, except you. Shut up. Go and watch Childrens TV.

To Jereon...

It 'sounds' like you are not going to like it!
I WOULD LIKE ANY BOOK THAT WAS RESEARCHED WITH INTEGRITY.

YOU MAY SAY THAT MY BOOK WAS NOT RESEARCHED PROPERLY, BUT I USED ALL THE DATA THAT WAS AVAILABLE TO ME THEN. NONE OF THE FANS THAT HELPED ME THEN, 30 OR SO, FOUND ANYTHING THEY COULD DISPUTE... AT THAT TIME. WE ALL TRIED HARD TO MAKE IT AS GOOD AS THE LIMITATIONS ALLOWED.

I DID HAVE A GO THOUGH, WHICH TWATS LIKE ASTERIK NEVER DID. PEOPLE LIKE THAT ONLY FIND FAULT AFTER THE FACT, YEARS LATER, WHEN THEY HAVE THE FACTS AND FIGURES (RESEARCHED BY SOMEONE ELSE, TO REFER TO AND WAVE IN FRON OF US... 15 YEARS LATER) BUT THEY NEVER ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING THEMSELVES.

I'M INTERESTED TO SEE LESTER'S BOOK... WHETHER I KNOW THE STUFF INSIDE IT OR NOT.

IF IT'S A GOOD READ, THAT'S ALL I'M INTERESTED IN

In the sence that I predict that you already know all the info that is in it.
WE'LL SEE. BUT EVEN IF IDO, THE MAJORITY WILL NOT, AND THIS ISN'T MEANT FOR ME. IT'S AIMED AT YOU, AND THE LIKES OF ASTERIK... WHO WILL TAKE THE PISS WHATEVER IT READS LIKE.

IS LESTER GOING TO APPROACH ASTERIK FOR HELP??? OR IT GENERALLY KNOWN ALREADY THAT ASTERIK IS A DAFT BASTARD WHO ISN'T WORTH ASKING?

But ask Lester about it, because reading your post I think you are not exactly knowing what the precise subject is to be.

I HEARD IT WAS ABOUT QUEEN IN THE STUDIO.

EVERY OTHER FACET OF QUEEN IS ALREADY COVERED.

(If you use the 'search' button, btw, you might find a pretty extensive topic in here about the book!)

OK.

Oh, by the way; I don't wanna be Lesters spokesman or something, but when he contacted a certain source inside the band about this and asked him if it was possible to only use a couple of quotes from his website, Lester got a polite 'fuck off'... Not very motivating...

OK, BUT IF THAT'S ALL THAT IT TAKES TO DETER HIM, HE'S NOT REMOTELY SERIOUS. HE'LL RUN INTO LOTS OF BARRIERS LIKE THAT, AS I DID, BUT HE'LL HAVE TO PUSH ON REGARDLESS.

Do you ever encounter polite 'fuck offs' from insiders too while doing research?
(Serious question btw!)

YES. THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL PEOPLE I APPROACHED OVER THE YEARS, TO CONTRIBUTE TO SLEEVE NOTES... ON THE FREDDIE BOX, ON QUEEN PRODUCT, BUT FOR VARIOUS REASONS THEY DECLINED - USUALLY POLITELY.

THAT IS PARR FOR THE COURSE. WE EXPECT THAT.

ALSO... RE MY BOOK.. I DISCOVERED THAT I WASN'T GOING TO GET NEAR TO THE BAND AT THAT TIME, AS I EXPECTED, SO I JUST PRESSED ON. I TRIED, FAILED, FOCUSSED ON OTHER ELEMENTS.

AT SOME POINT I THINK IT WAS BRIAN THAT SAW I HAD PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO IT, AND THEREFORE ENSURED THAT I COULD USE PHOTOS THAT I WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO USE. QPL TOOK THAT STANCE RATHER THAN COMING AFTER ME.

YOU SEE.... DESPITE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO INSULT THE BOOK ON QZ, IT GENUINELY WAS THE BEST IT COULD BE AT THAT TIME - PRE-INTERNET.

YOU KNOW, THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF TALK OF VARIOUS PEOPLE DOING A BOOK ABOUT QUEEN IN THE STUDIO, OVER THE YEARS. BUT NONE HAVE COME TO FRUITION. IF LESTER IS TENACIOUS AND FEARLESS AND DETERMINED (AND NOT DETERRED BY TOSSERS LIKE ASTERIK) THERE IS NO REASON HE WON'T BE THE FIRST TO SUCCEED. GENUINE GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

ASTERIK.... ARE YOU CREATING ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE, OTHER THAN WORDS THAT NO-ONE OTHER THAN YOU IS INTERESTED IN???? DO YOU DO ANYTHING WORTHWHILE YOU CAN TELL US ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

NAME US 1 THING.

DO YOU DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN KNOCK OTHER PEOPLE???

GOOD LUCK LESTER. HOW IS IT GOING/ HAVE YOU MADE A START?

THE START, PAGE 1, IS THE MOST DIFFICULT.

GB

GB

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave!

You are American, right?

Same goes for you. Do YOU do anything creative you can tell us about now?

Or is picking fault all you do?

I am genuinely intrigued.

I'm willing to bet you have no creative or imaginitive side.

GB

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Asterik...

1. Have you ever attended a Queen convention anywhere in the world?

2. Was i there?

3. Have you ever been to any event at all which I attended too?

What I'm driving at is simply this... why haven't you come up to me and said, "greg, can you and me sit down, I have some questions for you. I have some things i want to put to you seriously - like an adult."

Then, I could probably tell you, and you wouldn't look like such a prize prick on this site.

We could converse in that normal way, and you could then have the facts instead of dreaming up the rubbish that fills your tiny mind currectly.

Logic, they call it.

GB
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Microwave!

I'm willing to bet you have no creative or imaginitive side.

Yayyyy!!! I have been insulted by Greg. I feel so humbled.

Actually Greg, I've played the piano for over 30 years. Does that count as creative or imaginitive?

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 06, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, I've emailed you.