Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > So I guess this is the official tracklisting for Freddie's 'best of'?

forum rss feed
Author

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

from http://www.queenworld.com/artman/publish/article_426.shtml

[quote]The press release about the fabulous Freddie releases coming soon...

The Very Best of Freddie Mercury Solo.
2 CD Set - 60th Anniversary Special Edition
For Release September 4, 2006

While Freddie Mercury dedicated the major part of his creative energies to the all-consuming project that was Queen, such was his appetite for music that not all of it could be fulfilled within the parameters of Queen. At these times Freddie ventured off into the uncharted new world of solo projects.

This special edition, released September 4, 2006 to celebrate his 60th anniversary, The Very Best of Freddie Mercury Solo, which includes a bonus CD of rare or unheard tracks, highlights those periods when Freddie channelled his inexhaustible love of music into new musical encounters, some intensely personal projects, others providing the excitement of collaborations with writers and performers who fired his imagination.

While most people would think Freddie’s solo career began in 1984 with his Mr. Bad Guy album, it in fact began much earlier - back in 1973, with his cover versions of the Beach Boys’ I Can Hear Music and Goffin-King’s Goin’ Back, released as the A and B sides of his first solo single, released under the name of Larry Lurex. Since the single disappeared without trace, it is not surprising few are aware of this inauspicious start to his solo career. Both are included here.

A number of tracks here come from the official first solo album, Mr. Bad Guy, recorded in 1983/84 in Munich during a period when Freddie was heavily into the club scene in the city. Freddie’s love of the dance music he was surrounded by at the time shows through in tracks such as Love Kills, I Was Born To Love You and Living On My Own (which, remixed in 1994, gave Freddie a posthumous No.1 hit, an Ivor Novello award, and the only No.1 of his solo career).

Freddie’s love of theatre, and great admiration for his first pop idol, Cliff Richard, accounts for the track Time, the title song of Dave Clark’s successful West End musical in which Cliff starred (the show, coincidentally, played at the Dominion Theatre, now the home to Queen’s own smash hit musical, We Will Rock You).

One of the most musically fulfilling periods of Freddie’s life was his musical love affair with Spanish opera diva, Montserrat Caballe. From this unlikely, but magical union, came the tracks Barcelona, which Freddie wrote for Montserrat’s home city and which became the theme for the Olympics, and the high drama of Guide Me Home, and How Can I Go On.

Although Freddie only ever released one true solo album - the Barcelona album excepted - there are reports that he had plans, and, indeed, had started work on a ‘covers’ album. This is widely considered to be the origin of one of his most popular singles, his version of The Platters’ classic The Great Pretender, released first by Freddie in 1987 (when it reached No.4) and subsequently reissued in 1993.

While CD1, with a few exceptions, features mostly versions as originally recorded, the second CD of the set is a feast of rarities and new and unheard remixes. Over half of the tracks featured are 2006 mixes.

In recognition of Freddie’s own passion for new musical adventures and his love of the club music scene, for this release a number of Freddie’s own best loved tracks were handed over to some of today’s most highly regarded up and coming international remixers: Pixel82, The Glimmers, George Demure, Sunshine People, Rank 1, Star Rider, No More Brothers and The Egg, all given an open brief to take Freddie’s original and rework it in their own unique and unpredictable sound and style.

On a more retrospective level, a vocal and piano version of Your Kind of Lover and Freddie’s a cappella delivery of Let’s Turn It On, were selected to give an informal insight into Freddie at work and underline the fact that as well as a unique writer, Freddie

Walter B. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=831791

freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shame they couldn't have gotton rid of Thierry Lang's Guide Me Home, and replaced it with a remastered copy of the CBS extended promo of Living On My Own that was talked about on here a week or so back.
Wouldn't do to let people have a copy of something they don't have, would it?

And as for those modern remixes.... Not interested.

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done QP, another great and wonderful release!!! ( get the irony...)

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie lives wrote:

And as for those modern remixes.... Not interested.

But just think of what a great way to celebrate the best of Freddie's music. Who needs the orginal versions when we can have shitty remixes.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't object to the odd remix here and there, but a whole disc seems disproportionate, even allowing for the fact that a couple of them are original.

How much of this music is actually as Freddie ever heard it?

And Thierry Lang? Don't fucking get me started...

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AHH! WHAT is with the SIX versions of Love Kills!!

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 607 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 06, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have to:
a. get drunk
b. high on drugs
c. go severly mad

... to buy this album

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, yes... a bonus disc with "RARITIES"!

Fuck that

...and I see that, despite Brian's denial, it's going to get that CRAP sleeve afterall...!?

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of the best rarities, for which we fans bought the FM box years ago, are now planned on this release? What a rip off!

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

...and I see that, despite Brian's denial, it's going to get that CRAP sleeve afterall...!?

Again, Brian was not denying that sleeve, but one from a Russian bootleg of the same name that some online stores were displaying instead.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/4285/albums/merverbest.gif

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote:

Again, Brian was not denying that sleeve, but one from a Russian bootleg of the same name that some online stores were displaying instead.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/4285/albums/merverbest.gif

Correct title of that release is "Freddie Mercury. The Very Best". It contains 18 tracks (2 Queen's). But - first of all - it's not Russian, but Bulgarian release (it was released in the first half of 90s) and cover was copied from "Remixes" album. Therefore Brian should complain about Parlophone, not about pirates, IMHO...

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, regardless of what cover Brian may or may not have been in denial about, today he has issued a statement claiming he and Roger have "NOTHING whatever to do" with Freddie's solo releases, due to something with his estate.
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjul06.html#22

Hmm. So he's received enough negative feedback to disown it? I really think he's passing the buck there. Remember him stating how "WE" are planning things to honor Freddie's birthday? How he bragged about hearing the songs being remastered with Justin Shirley Smith? This doesn't sound like zero involvement to me.

Freddie's estate may have final approval (as it should be) but I'm certain Queen Productions are who handles the planning and production of these things.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Mikahl

I had the same thought as you that Brian seems to be distancing himself after seeing some of the negative feedback. Reading his comments again however it seems that Brian actually says that it is the promotion and "handling" of the solo stuff which he and Roger have no say over. It seems that he has at least some kind of involvement in the mixing as he was present during Justin's recent mixing sessions, but probably isn't allowed to dictate as to what is released and in what form. As Jim Beach is a trustee of Freddie's estate, it's a shame that he doesn't (or can't) privately ask Brian what he thinks would be worthy of release, and then present it to Mary Austin etc.. as his own idea.

Now that Brian has raised it, I'd kill to know what clauses are in the estate papers - eg are none of Queen allowed to have anything to do with Freddie's solo material, and if so was this Freddie's decision, or one made by the trustees afterwards???

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Hi Mikahl

I had the same thought as you that Brian seems to be distancing himself after seeing some of the negative feedback. Reading his comments again however it seems that Brian actually says that it is the promotion and "handling" of the solo stuff which he and Roger have no say over. It seems that he has at least some kind of involvement in the mixing as he was present during Justin's recent mixing sessions, but probably isn't allowed to dictate as to what is released and in what form. As Jim Beach is a trustee of Freddie's estate, it's a shame that he doesn't (or can't) privately ask Brian what he thinks would be worthy of release, and then present it to Mary Austin etc.. as his own idea.

Now that Brian has raised it, I'd kill to know what clauses are in the estate papers - eg are none of Queen allowed to have anything to do with Freddie's solo material, and if so was this Freddie's decision, or one made by the trustees afterwards???

It must be made back then.
Remember, for instance, that Freddie had a different business for all his solo-stuff as well as a different recordcompany.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, remember as I have said time and time again, Brian and Roger also had to get permission for Robbie's cover version of WATC from Freddie's Estate. Note one...

Note two is from the WATC frog track. Brian posted an ironic view saying how wonderful it was and it was a masterpiece. Hint Hint... And once again, people somehow linked Brian with it and started thinking he was involved in the rights somehow.

Unfortunately, people on here forget the rights thing often. Why? I don't know. But they do. And they're usually quick to point the finger. It never fails to annoy me, I can tell you that much.

Peace,
Adam.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Well, remember as I have said time and time again, Brian and Roger also had to get permission for Robbie's cover version of WATC from Freddie's Estate. Note one...

Why?

Brian has said on several occasions that as long as no lyrics are changed and proper royalties are paid, then anyone can cover a song without permission from rights holders. That's what he often says when some new and abysmal cover version comes out. He's even offered up his story of God (The Dream is Over) from Live at Brixton Academy as evidence.

If anything, I suspect Brian was wanting the polite "ok" since he didn't have to worry about a legal "ok."

DJ's the man we love the most
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That soapbox comment thing perplexes me, I cant tell if it means him not having to do with the remixes or the overall tracklist. AH!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 06, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm... it depends I suppose. The difficulty is that Freddie isn't around and it isn't a polite thumbs up to the idea.

Usually, you get a response from the artist in question and find out if it's cool or not that way. But in the case of Freddie's stuff, I wonder how it works. It's obviously not in the hands of the record company! And I'm not 100% sure on what the "estate" represents. Does anyone know for sure?

Peace,
Adam.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 06, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Once again - another collection of rare and obscure material featuring a member of Queen.

I reckon sales will push - ooh, what......30 units worldwide?

It's laughable actually, isn;t it - you have to feel sorry for the people making the decisions at QPL who actually believe that this is an attractive product offering.

Benn