Forums > Queen - General Discussion > let's imagine you were supposed to be some Queen cover band...

forum rss feed
Author

another one diets the bust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 131 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jul 06, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so this is NOT the usual "what are your favourite queen songs?" thingie, this is something far more tricky.

if you were supposed to be a queen cover band, what would your setlist look like? before putting songs into a setlist, there has to be kind of a structure. so how would you work out that structure? the following questions may give you an idea of what i was thinking about:

- what would be an approximate running time?
- how many songs would you put in?
- would there be any restrictions? (for example: "only 1 song from every Queen album")
- would you do some acoustics somewhere in the set? if yes, where would you place it?
- how would you choose the songs to play? (remember: it would not be just for yourself!)
- would you just play what queen did? or would you at least try something around? (like playing something live, Queen never played live for some reason)
- as time might be quite limited: of course you would have to play some of Queen's biggest hits, but how much of your set would be in for that? 50%? more? less?
- audience participation always has been an important thing to Queen. how much attention you would pay to that?

these are just a few questions that came to my mind, there might be a lot more. we might do some second step later and put some songs in, but first let's talk about step one: the general structure.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Jul 06, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

another one diets the bust wrote:

45 minutes, tops.

- would there be any restrictions?

No synthesizers.
- would you do some acoustics somewhere in the set? if yes, where would you place it?

No, acoustic guitars are for losers.
- how would you choose the songs to play?

Alphabetically
- would you just play what queen did?

Mainly.
- as time might be quite limited: of course you would have to play some of Queen's biggest hits, but how much of your set would be in for that? 50%? more? less?

Zero. Deep cuts only. Mistakes are less obvious that way.
- audience participation always has been an important thing to Queen. how much attention you would pay to that?

None at all. If they'd like to get up here and give it a try, take my leotards...

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Procession
Now I'm Here
Dead On Time
Made In Heaven
Someday One Day
The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke
Hang On In There
Las Palabras
Doing Alright
Dragon Attack
White Man
The Prophet Song(classic live vocal solo)
Rain Must Fall
Keep Yourself Alive
Brighton Rock Solo
Chinese Water Torture
Last Horizon
Misfire
It's Late
The Millionare Waltz
Long Away
In The Lap, Revisited
-------------------
Liar
Drowse
I Want It All
The March of the Black Queen

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Procession
Now I'm Here
Dead On Time
Made In Heaven
Someday One Day
The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke
Hang On In There
Las Palabras
Doing Alright
Dragon Attack
White Man
The Prophet Song(classic live vocal solo)
Rain Must Fall
Keep Yourself Alive
Brighton Rock Solo
Chinese Water Torture
Last Horizon
Misfire
It's Late
The Millionare Waltz
Long Away
In The Lap, Revisited
-------------------
Liar
Drowse
I Want It All
The March of the Black Queen

If you add Yeah to that list, it's brilliant.

Killed by drones.

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

nice setlist indeed, but that wasn't exactly what i wanted opinions about at the moment ;)

but well, i do find at least some questions answered between those songs.

so 25 songs is quite much i think, would be about 2 hrs. remember you were supposed to be 'just' a cover band, not Queen themselves ;)

if i could tell any restriction out of that it might be "avoid the hits"?

i think there would be some acoustics as well, even if you didn't mark them. but the prophetsong-vocalsolo at least indicates something. i had that in mind too, so it seems that idea might be not bad :)

i see mostly songs Queen did on at least some tour, but nice to see there would be even some they never did :)

the only thing i really can't tell from that setlist is the thingie about audience participation: not that may singalongs there, except for thelapofthegods?

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day At The Races Intro
We Will Rock You (fast)
Modern Times Rock 'n Roll (fluently changes from WWRY)
Tie Your Mother Down
Play The Game
Sail Away Sweet Sister
White Queen

Medley:
Now I'm Here
Freddie's Vocal Improvisation
Put Out The Fire
Dragon Attack
Hangman
Now I'm Here (Reprise)

Another One Bites The Dust
Somebody to Love
Seven Seas of Rhye
Doing All Right
You Take My Breath Away
'39
Love of My Life
My Melancholy Blues
The Prophet's Song
Brighton Rock (solo only)
Keep Yourself Alive
Bohemian Rhapsody
In The Lap of The Gods...Revisited

Encores:
Liar
The Night Comes Down (parts)
Jesus
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
God Save The Queen

Alright so this concert may last for about 2 and half hours or more but it will certainly entertain! :-P

DeeEmm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be funky to do tours based on the albums. As in, the Queen II tour would do the songs from Queen II, nothing else (well, maybe a little else) but all songs would get played.

Mind you, that would completely slay us dead considering we have to play every single song in their catalogue live, but who cares.

Queen rocks!

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

« Jay » wrote:

Alright so this concert may last for about 2 and half hours or more but it will certainly entertain! :-P

indeed ... well, seems i have to analyse myself now with all those setlits ;p

general question: do cover bands play sets of those dimensions? i already listened to some, but most seem to do much shorter gigs.

there seems to be something of everything, so obviously i couldn't tell any restrictions.

i also spotted something looking like acoustic songs (YTMBA/'39/LOML/MMB)? :)

some familiar things like closing with WWRY/WATC are there as well, but almost nothing Queen didn't play live? well, to be fair, some of the songs indeed weren't played for over 30 years, so maybe that might count almost as well ;)

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DeeEmm wrote:

It would be funky to do tours based on the albums. As in, the Queen II tour would do the songs from Queen II, nothing else (well, maybe a little else) but all songs would get played.

wasn't this something Roger's TheCross used to do? i remember their setlists always to contain very much if not all of their recent album and mostly nothing else ;)

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

« Jay » wrote:

indeed ... well, seems i have to analyse myself now with all those setlits ;p

general question: do cover bands play sets of those dimensions? i already listened to some, but most seem to do much shorter gigs.

there seems to be something of everything, so obviously i couldn't tell any restrictions.

i also spotted something looking like acoustic songs (YTMBA/'39/LOML/MMB)? :)

some familiar things like closing with WWRY/WATC are there as well, but almost nothing Queen didn't play live? well, to be fair, some of the songs indeed weren't played for over 30 years, so maybe that might count almost as well ;)

I've heard some cover bands playing very long sets, not sure if played ones longer then 2 hours.

Also including full versions of songs like March of The Black Queen and The Fairy Fellers Master-Stroke are cool but let's be realistic, those are impossible to play live! So I decided to choose a more realistic approach. :-)

Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, let us imagine.

"Restrictions?"
It all depends on the show itself;

"Acoustic Set?"
Place it the middle, right after a hard-rock noisy song with a blaster finale.

"Play like Queen? Or would you at least try something around?"
Depends on the songs. It's interesting and fun to versionate WWRY, but I would not dare to change a note on BohRhap.

"Playing something live, Queen never played live for some reason)"
OF COURSE. True fans will appreciate and the lack of comparisons to Queen's version is always a bonus.

"But first let's talk about step one: the general structure..."

Well, I actually HAVE a tribute band to Queen, and came up with the responsability of choosing the set list. You see, the first two were outdoor gigs and a set list, must reflect the type of concert/audience. In my case, it was a concert to mainstream audiences.

Nevertheless, I did managed to include something for the die-hard fans, even snippets that were not reharsed.

Notice that a set list MUST NOT be just what you like to play, it should be what works best for that situation and also the combination and order of the songs are crucial. No-one wants the drummer to have a heart-attack, for instance, or the singer's voice to collapse. These and many other factor should be taken into consideration.

Anyway here's the main set list I performed to a mainstream audience (variety of albuns, tribute to various Queen setlists over the years, original medley 'cause you must have a medley, acoustic set...)

Intro: Fat Bottomed Girls (A Cappella)
Tie Your Mother Down
I Want To Break Free
Radio Ga Ga

Medley:
Another One Bites The Dust /
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy /
Killer Queen /
Somebody To Love /
7 Seas of Rhye /
Spread Your Wings /
The Night Comes Down /
Tenement Funster /
Save Me

(Acoustic)
'39
Love of My Life

(Add-lib: In The Lap of The Gods.. Revisited)
One Vision (Intro)
Innuendo
More Of That Jazz (intro)
Under Pressure
Add-Lib: Impromptu
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
A Kind Of Magic
Show Must Go On
Doin' Alright (Intro)
Bohemian Rhapsody

Encores:
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course that, if I were to play to a fan convention, things would be different. I think I have already enough "greatest hits". Now it's the time to start adding 70's stuff... Today I'm reharsing White Queen, Death On 2 Legs and I want it all.

Just as an extra information, Bohemian Rhapsody was played in its entirity (with a Choir and all) and Innuendo was also played as the original album version (with flamenco guitars and handclapping and all that stuff...)

;)

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Al TurHao wrote:

Of course that, if I were to play to a fan convention, things would be different. I think I have already enough "greatest hits". Now it's the time to start adding 70's stuff... Today I'm reharsing White Queen, Death On 2 Legs and I want it all.

Just as an extra information, Bohemian Rhapsody was played in its entirity (with a Choir and all) and Innuendo was also played as the original album version (with flamenco guitars and handclapping and all that stuff...)

;)

sounds nice, you're still 'touring'? ;)

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, how long is the show? something about 90 minutes i'd guess? and if you say you'll put in some more 70s' stuff, that would mean, you'd drop something else?

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your guess is right: 90 minutes.

the 70's stuff will be ADDED to the possible choices, but I will drop out Innuendo from the current shows, because of logistical isshues (too many guitars on stage, difficulty of the track, although it turned out great). I will, however, continue to reharse it and play it in special ocasions (it's the song I most enjoy playing).

FreMe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2329 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was supposed to be so, I would have to learn to sing, or at least play an instrument at first :P

O_o
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 06, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

an hour, hour and a half....

17/18...20 tops.

- would there be any restrictions? (for example: "only 1 song from every Queen album")

I'd look to do at least 1 song from each album.

in the middle, 2 or 3.

- how would you choose the songs to play? (remember: it would not be just for yourself!)

get a general vote.

- would you just play what queen did? or would you at least try something around? (like playing something live, Queen never played live for some reason)

I'd try Dead On Time.

probably 50%

the hits would encourage that by themselves.

Procession
Dead On Time
Stone Cold Crazy
White Queen
Staying Power
I Want It All
Spread Your Wings
'39
Save Me
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Under Pressure
It's Late
Now I'm Here
Liar
Another One Bites The Dust
Hammer To Fall
The Show Must Go On
We Will Rock You
Bohemian Rhapsody
In The Lap Of The Gods . . . revisited

koldweather123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, I'd probably do quite a long show, I'm not quite sure how long but it'd be over 2hrs for sure.

About 30 seems like a reasonable guess, probably between 30-33 songs though some would be quite short and I'd include two meledies.

No.

Probably only love of my life

I'd probably try and mix the big hits with some lesser hits so to speak.

Oh there'd be several of those, apart the Miricle and Innuendo, I'd also play the first minute of the Hitman, gimme the Prize

Quite a few of my songs are what you'd call hits though I have dropped a big hits as well. Mind you the last quater is pretty much exactly the same as the magic tour bar Shear heart attack replacing FWBF.

Yes I'd definatly have some audience participation, In the middle of NIH (I loved that!) and I'd also probably have the live aid AP as well somewhere.

Setlist:

1:One vision
2:I want it all
3:Tie you mother down

meledy:

4:Killer Queen
5:Seven seas of Rhye
6:Keep yourslef alive
7:Liar (Full version with piano solo at the end)
8:Mustapha
9:Death on Two Legs
10:Don't stop me now

11:Orge Battle
12:Innuendo (First 2 verses)
13:The Hitman
14:The Miricle
15:Under Pressure
16:Now I'm here+Vocal improvisation in middle
17:Love of my life
18:The Hero

Meledy

19:Princes of the Universe
20:Tear it up
21: Stone cold Crazy
22:Gimme the Prize (Never got played but I'd bet it would sound awsome!) Leads onto:
23:Brighton Rock

24:Another one bites the dust
25:Lap of the Gods revisted
26:Bohemian Rhapsody
27:Hammer to fall
28:Crazy little thing called love
29:Radio Ga ga
30:Sheer heart attack
31: Rock and roll meledy
32:We will rock you
33:We are the champions

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

17:30
no synthesizers
nope.
if it's emo-ish, funy-ish, or energetic, then it's part of the album.

- would you just play what queen did? or would you at least try something around?
yeah. i'd play the same way.
A LOT. the audience should be the master, but not totally. you still have to own the stage. :)

slightly mad 22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

breakthru (taped intro)
don't stop me now
fat bottomed girls
headlong
i want it all
stone cold crazy
kind of magic
under pressure
bites the dust
heaven for everyone
love of my life
'39
these are the days
a winters tale
i want to break free
flash(leading into)
the hero
hammer to fall
one vision(minus the intro)
nevermore leading into
play the game
save me
crazy little thing called love
piano medley (not full songs!!)
the miracle;killer queen;jealousy; march of the black queen; death on 2 legs; the miracle
bohemian rhapsody
gimme the prize
radio ga ga
the show must go on
we will rock you
Lap of the god's revisited
we are the champions