Forums > Personal > Best Rock Opera?

forum rss feed
Author

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Notable Albums(off the top of my head)

Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A-Changin'
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
The Pretty Things- S.F. Sorrow
The Who-Tommy
The Kinks-Arthur
David Bowie-The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Who-Quadrophenia
David Bowie-Diamond Dogs(Debatable)
Rush, 2112 Meat Loaf-Bat Out of Hell
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Styx-Kilroy Was Here

Please feel free to add onto the list!

My fave Rock Opera is a time between Ziggy Stardust And Tommy. Although 2112 and Quadrophenia are just as close!




Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=purple>Miss James wrote:

I think I will speak for all of us when I say: Where the H is ANATO?

:p





YES!!!I WAS WONDERING!!!! THANK YOU!

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Rock Opera of Franz Kafka from Home Movies.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Devo Blockhead


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry loves, A Night At The Opera, isnt really...a Rock Opera(Bohemian Rhapsody is though!) A Rock Opera is usually a whole album that works together as a story(The Who's Tommy, the story of a deaf,dumb and blind boy who attempts to overcome the murder he witness and the molestation from his youth by winning the respect of his peers) A Night At The Opera simply doesnt have these qualities, but I suppose if one looks at any album for long enough, they can link the songs together!



Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 06, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Wall. Hooooo-boy did that movie scare the shit out of me as a child.


"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jul 06, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. The Wall.
2. Jesuschrist Superstar (Ian Gillan as Jesus).
3. Tommy.

In that order...

Cheers.


Life Is A Bitch...

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jul 06, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Merlin

by KayaK


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Dances With Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1928 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jul 06, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="blue">Mr. Farenheit wrote:

1. The Wall.
2. Jesuschrist Superstar (Ian Gillan as Jesus).
3. Tommy.

In that order...

Cheers.


Ian Gillan is fantastic as Jesus!! :D

however my fav is Ziggy :) :) oh, and Diamond Dogs, although it is debatable ;)


"it's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not"

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jul 06, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tommy, Quadrophenia and The Wall.

Does Flash Gordon count as a rock opera too?

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jul 06, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dances With Freddie wrote:

<b><font color="blue">Mr. Farenheit wrote:

1. The Wall.
2. Jesuschrist Superstar (Ian Gillan as Jesus).
3. Tommy.

In that order...

Cheers.


Ian Gillan is fantastic as Jesus!! :D

however my fav is Ziggy :) :) oh, and Diamond Dogs, although it is debatable ;)


Awesome choices, I always found it funny how a lot of Bowie fans dislike Diamond Dogs!(I think its glamtastically good!). Haha, yes prehaps the Flashgordan soundtrack could count as a rock opera. Hmm...Wouldnt it be interesting, if someone attempted to make a story up from Queen Albums! Haha, I wonder what the hell the story would be in the Works.


thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 06, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

Notable Albums(off the top of my head)

Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A-Changin'
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
The Pretty Things- S.F. Sorrow
The Who-Tommy
The Kinks-Arthur
David Bowie-The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Who-Quadrophenia
David Bowie-Diamond Dogs(Debatable)
Rush, 2112 Meat Loaf-Bat Out of Hell
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Styx-Kilroy Was Here

Please feel free to add onto the list!

My fave Rock Opera is a time between Ziggy Stardust And Tommy. Although 2112 and Quadrophenia are just as close!




"The Times They Are A-Changin'" is neither rock nor opera, nor rock-opera.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Dances With Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1928 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 06, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:


Awesome choices, I always found it funny how a lot of Bowie fans dislike Diamond Dogs!(I think its glamtastically good!).


well those Bowie fans don't know what they're talking about, cause Diamond Dogs is one of Bowie's best albums, IMO. my favourite! :D



"it's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not"

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 06, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dream theater's scenes form a memory


:)
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 06, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

SK wrote:

Notable Albums(off the top of my head)

Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A-Changin'
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
The Pretty Things- S.F. Sorrow
The Who-Tommy
The Kinks-Arthur
David Bowie-The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Who-Quadrophenia
David Bowie-Diamond Dogs(Debatable)
Rush, 2112 Meat Loaf-Bat Out of Hell
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Styx-Kilroy Was Here

Please feel free to add onto the list!

My fave Rock Opera is a time between Ziggy Stardust And Tommy. Although 2112 and Quadrophenia are just as close!




"The Times They Are A-Changin'" is neither rock nor opera, nor rock-opera.


Haha, I know what you mean buddy. But supposdly, a lot of people consider it to be a "Folk-Opera" I suppose(Although, I agree with you. BTW, Bob Dylan is an amazing artist!)

@Dances With Freddie
Haha yes, Diamond Dogs is great! As is Bowie! My fave albums by him are...
The Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
StationToStation
Low
Heroes
Scary Monsters

Definately check some of those out if you havent already :)


thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

SK wrote:

Notable Albums(off the top of my head)

Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A-Changin'
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
The Pretty Things- S.F. Sorrow
The Who-Tommy
The Kinks-Arthur
David Bowie-The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Who-Quadrophenia
David Bowie-Diamond Dogs(Debatable)
Rush, 2112 Meat Loaf-Bat Out of Hell
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Styx-Kilroy Was Here

Please feel free to add onto the list!

My fave Rock Opera is a time between Ziggy Stardust And Tommy. Although 2112 and Quadrophenia are just as close!




"The Times They Are A-Changin'" is neither rock nor opera, nor rock-opera.


Haha, I know what you mean buddy. But supposdly, a lot of people consider it to be a "Folk-Opera" I suppose(Although, I agree with you. BTW, Bob Dylan is an amazing artist!)


I wouldn't exactly call it a 'folk-opera' either. My reason being that it is, though certainly a concept-album, not a story in any way, nor really a closely-knit unit.

Dylan did, however, write what could be argued as being folk-rock opera in single songs. Think of "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" from 'Blonde On Blonde' or "Desolation Row" from its predecessor 'Highway 61 Revisited'.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Dances With Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1928 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:
@Dances With Freddie
Haha yes, Diamond Dogs is great! As is Bowie! My fave albums by him are...
The Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
StationToStation
Low
Heroes
Scary Monsters

Definately check some of those out if you havent already :)



I have all of those! xD they rock!

I just love Bowie! many of the albums you mentioned are amongst my favourites, but you've got to remember Pin Ups and Earthling! :D


"it's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not"

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

SK wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

SK wrote:

Notable Albums(off the top of my head)

Bob Dylan-The Times They Are A-Changin'
The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
The Pretty Things- S.F. Sorrow
The Who-Tommy
The Kinks-Arthur
David Bowie-The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Who-Quadrophenia
David Bowie-Diamond Dogs(Debatable)
Rush, 2112 Meat Loaf-Bat Out of Hell
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Styx-Kilroy Was Here

Please feel free to add onto the list!

My fave Rock Opera is a time between Ziggy Stardust And Tommy. Although 2112 and Quadrophenia are just as close!




"The Times They Are A-Changin'" is neither rock nor opera, nor rock-opera.


Haha, I know what you mean buddy. But supposdly, a lot of people consider it to be a "Folk-Opera" I suppose(Although, I agree with you. BTW, Bob Dylan is an amazing artist!)


I wouldn't exactly call it a 'folk-opera' either. My reason being that it is, though certainly a concept-album, not a story in any way, nor really a closely-knit unit.

Dylan did, however, write what could be argued as being folk-rock opera in single songs. Think of "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" from 'Blonde On Blonde' or "Desolation Row" from its predecessor 'Highway 61 Revisited'.


Ah yes, thats correct. Many of his songs are epic tales("Isis" from Desire also comes to mind). Nice to see a Dylan fan on here! We should start up a Bobby Dylan thread!

@Dances With Freddie
Haha, yes we musnt forget Pinups and Earthling! Although I enjoyed Heathen a little more then Earthling. I also think Lodger is cool...When you are in the right mood of course! And how could I have forgotten about Alladin Sane?(Despite the poor mixing on "Watch That Man" ugh!)

yamaha user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Moody Blues- Days of Future Passed