Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Bootlegs On eBay: How To Report Them

forum rss feed
Author

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We are all sick and tired of those lowlifes trying to make a profit out of free material. Here is a set of easy instructions on how to report the sale of bootlegs on eBay. I encourage you to make use of it!

Go to http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/index.html and select "Report Another Problem"

Select "Report a listing policy violation..."

Select "Items that may violate copyright..."

Select "Report unauthorized copies of CDs..."

Click "Continue"

Select "Email"

Enter the item numbers and click "Submit"

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now all we have to do is find a way to report queencollector.com.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=gold>SMI<font color=1>TTY wrote:

Now all we have to do is find a way to report queencollector.com.

Agreed. If anyone'd only have Trancer's address and real name, it'd be easy.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Offtopic: I will try to use this tool to report fake Queen autographs on ebay. I'm curious if it works or not...

freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh leave the ebay sellers alone.

It IS frustrating when you put in a lot of hard work creating a DVD that someone subsequently gets hold of and then sells on ebay - but I've outgrown that now.
I've made a few of those DVDs that are now sold on ebay by other people (that most of you probably have as well by now) and I'm past caring.

Personally, I myself have obtained a number of bootlegs from ebay over the years that I'd never seen elsewhere.
Ebay is probably a source of a number of Queen and Paul Rodgers bootlegs that have since appeared on QZ - so there's a bit of give and take there!
Take Houston 77 for instance - did anyone report the person who sold a few copies on there?
No - because no one had it at the time, but we've all since benefitted from that sale!!
You can't always have your cake and eat it.

One other thing to bear in mind, is that anyone who actually buys "common" stuff off ebay, probably isn't aware of QZ or the fact that they can be downloaded from any number of sites on the web.
It is also entirely possible that given the choice of spending a few pounds or spending days downloading something - some people would rather have the means of least hassle - ie, buying it!

Rant over.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Offtopic: I will try to use this tool to report fake Queen autographs on ebay. I'm curious if it works or not...

I am willing to bet that you will have virtually no chance of ebay doing anything. I have reported items in the past and they never do anything.

freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh I don't know.
I've known fake autographs being removed before now.
They ARE worth reporting!

pow wow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If traders shared their wares rather than kept it for the few then maybe there would be less bootlegging on ebay. And what about the people out there with slow connection's, are they meant to wait 2 weeks for a download?!?!? I don't think so. It's a simple choice, if you disagree with the selling of bootlegs don't buy them, for everyone else it's another avenue of collecting so leave alone.

At least the sellers are making items available to ALL, leaving the CHOICE to buy with the consumer's conscience.

I for one won't be reporting any of them and no I'm not a seller either.

"....you don't get that on X-Factor do you"
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went through a period (about 6 months) of selling DVDs on ebay. A couple were Queen, most were not, although that's not relevant.

I ALWAYS undercut the other sellers of the same material, so the "unsuspecting" public, who could have downloaded the material from easytree (although only if they had broadband and a DVD writer and some patience) but didn't got to buy the material cheaper as a result of me being there, and hundreds of them were very happy with the arrangement. I generally made about £3 per disc, but had to spend my evenings copying discs, writing packaging, leaving feedback, answering questions, looking for new material, and my lunchtimes at the post office and the bank. So while it was useful money (I had had to take a lower paid job due to redundancy and this helped with the mortgage), it took up a lot of my time to do it.

This is not to excuse the more obvious profiteers on ebay, just to put forward the background that applied to me.

the rover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THOMASQUEEN, I know you're sick about this guys tryin' to make money, but I'm sick of you assholes cryin' about everything someone does. What if he wants to make some money???, no-one forces anyone to go and buy this kind of stuff.

So ...try to post some interesting topics nex time airight? bye

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 06, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say buyer beware. While I'm sure there are some who don't realize they can get the stuff for free, there are probably others who either can't download huge files or enjoy having something ready-made and sometimes nicely packaged for them.

No-one is forcing anyone to buy stuff :)

There's also the official material.. stuff like Magic Years which will probably never be on DVD.. and I think it's rather nice that you can spend $20 and get a good quality ready-made 3-DVD set with labels and all... sure it's illegal for them to do it.. but they're providing a service to fans. I love my Magic Years DVDs :)

But go on and make your reports if it makes you feel better... it'll never be stopped though ;)

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not happy to see bootleggers on ebay, on the other hand I don't care that much - after all, if there's demand for bootlegs, why not sell them? I can imagine people with slow connections - if I didn't have my collection, I would certainly rather buy from ebay than spend week downloading from QZ.

But think about this:

Bootleg = 10 minutes of copying, $20
Fake autographs: 20 seconds of writing, $300.

There are dealers of fake autographs on ebay that have sold 5000+ fake autographs in the past three years, each for $100-$500. Do the math...

pow wow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutley agree. Fake autographs are a nasty problem and I commend your attempts to try and do something about it.

"....you don't get that on X-Factor do you"
MOANZONE TWAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 422 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the rover wrote:

THOMASQUEEN, I know you're sick about this guys tryin' to make money, but I'm sick of you assholes cryin' about everything someone does. What if he wants to make some money???, no-one forces anyone to go and buy this kind of stuff.

I don't think i have seen you post anything of Respect or intelligence toward ANYONE here. What is your problem anyways? You always call ppl names just because you don't agree with them, dude, chill out? About selling ILLEGAL products, Queen, or anything, all i can say is "Get a JOB!" It is sad that someone has to make money from someone elses hard work.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the rover wrote:

No-one forces people to buy stolen items, hard drugs, black-market weapons. However, you still oppose theft, drug-dealing and weapon's dealing, I take it?

"What if he wants to make some money???"

Well, first off, it's illegal; moreover: it's making money from work someone else did. Finally: it's unethical to make a profit out of something which people could get for free.

So, in conclusion, I think it's safe to say that you are a completely useless, sad individual. Judging by your (albeit completely unconvincing) ferocity, I wouldn't be suprised if you are yourself one of those eBay sellers. If so, I'll tell you this: the day you get arrested will be a great day for mankind.

Nuno user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 285 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The biggest problem with eBay is

eBay themselves don't give as rats ass about what is being sold on there site

Even though there TOC don't allow it - they doin't care as they are making a hell of a lot of money off this kind of material (obviously not just Queen) and software, bootlegs, fake autographs, listings for free mobile phones, ipods, xboxs, playstations, psp

You name it - a propgram on BBC a year or so ago thought that eBay's listings about 75% was going against there terms in one way or another - it comes to the fact eBay don't care - they will reomve item now and again but very very farely

back off with your Megaton
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas, I understand your perspective, but it could be said that it's not the same as what could be downloaded. The artwork could be laser printed, whereas the "customer" doesn't have access to anything better than an inkjet, there is a physical product on a disc that the "customer" may not be able to generate themselves.

I wouldn't suggest all should be allowed, but I think that there are bigger problems on ebay, specifically guns, pyramid selling, pirated material (as opposed to bootlegs), etc etc.

andy1962 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

the rover wrote:

No-one forces people to buy stolen items, hard drugs, black-market weapons. However, you still oppose theft, drug-dealing and weapon's dealing, I take it?

"What if he wants to make some money???"

Well, first off, it's illegal; moreover: it's making money from work someone else did. Finally: it's unethical to make a profit out of something which people could get for free.

So, in conclusion, I think it's safe to say that you are a completely useless, sad individual. Judging by your (albeit completely unconvincing) ferocity, I wouldn't be suprised if you are yourself one of those eBay sellers. If so, I'll tell you this: the day you get arrested will be a great day for mankind.
life is free but there is always some wanker trying to have us over:- goverments,water companies,etc etc so fare play to anybody who makes a bit of money ido now and again thats how i survive life.i think you should get one yourself instead of moaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You've said it all, ANDY.

And thAt's what these cryin' babies don't understand (THOMASQUINN-YSM).

I don't get why they make listenin' to music such a huge problem, every single time something is not good ("or legal") to them.

Nuno user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 285 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole legal illegal point is such a mine field

What we do on here is actually illegal

It's just a moral thing about buying selling bootlegs, I have bootlgs lotsin the past (not only Queen) and if I hadn't have bought them I would never have them

Better t have something for a few £ than never have anything

if someone doesn't want to buy bootlegs then don't - it the constant complaining that get's people pissed off on here !!!!!

back off with your Megaton