add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mmmmm, good question...it does sound like a song that Roger would write...lol

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason people think that Mr. Roboto was performed by Queen and not Styx is because they hear similarities in styles in the music by both bands. However, Dennis DeYoung's singing voice isn't raspy like Freddie Mercury's singing voice was. People just have the tendency to assume that a different band composed or recorded a song without reading the facts and realizing that it wasn't what they assumed.

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No problem...just listen to "Mr. Roboto" by Styx (if you own their 1983 album "Kilroy Was Here" or a Styx complilation) and then listen to "Radio Ga Ga" by Queen and maybe you find the comparison and contrasts in their music.

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No problem:D

blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the thought of Freddie singing Mr. Roboto.

And For the Longest Time by Billy Joel.

I'm so pissed I could spit.
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Styx is a good band, im starting to get into them a bit...their song writing and sound is closer to Queen than any other band I've heard...although its not the same of course!

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Styx, I think are very good. Their style is a little similar to Queen, I must say! Although, I admit, completely different.

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I own many Styx vinyls(including Kilroy Was Here) and I dont really feel as if they are close to Queens style, I feel as if Queen's influences(the Who, Led Zep) are closer. I also feel as if the album 2112 by RUSH could have been a Queen vinyl!(No reason in paticular.)

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, It's been a LONG time since I've seen someone post this topic...

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah it used to come up all the time and I still don't understand it. I'm a fairly big fan of STYX as well as Queen, but beyond that coincidence.. I've never seen or heard anything remotely similar between the two bands at all. I honestly don't get this..

I suppose the Roger thing fits, slightly.. but even then, as a Roger song I think it would sound quite different.

There is one thing the bands have in common though.. both now have only two original members. The STYX situation is quite sad really. Dennis is alive and well and there will never be a real STYX without him. Queen on the other hand have every right to call themselves Queen as Freddie & John weren't thrown out the way Dennis was.

I fucking hate Tommy Shaw. What a prick.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mikahl wrote:

Yeah it used to come up all the time and I still don't understand it. I'm a fairly big fan of STYX as well as Queen, but beyond that coincidence.. I've never seen or heard anything remotely similar between the two bands at all. I honestly don't get this..

I suppose the Roger thing fits, slightly.. but even then, as a Roger song I think it would sound quite different.

There is one thing the bands have in common though.. both now have only two original members. The STYX situation is quite sad really. Dennis is alive and well and there will never be a real STYX without him. Queen on the other hand have every right to call themselves Queen as Freddie & John weren't thrown out the way Dennis was.

Damn, why did he throw them out?

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Johan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mikahl wrote:

Yeah, why was he thrown out, I've never been able to figure that one out...

Ride The Night To The Morning Sun..!
Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is unlikely, but another way way this erroneous mistake may have begun is that many of the music download trading sites have morons who are too stupid or too lazy to write the correct artist on a song they post/download. I've seen (swear to God) Van Halen/Stairway to Heaven, Guns and Roses/Fall to Pieces, Pink Floyd/The Ocean and worse. I have to admit, the first few times I saw these songs, I got them, thinking maybe they were from soundchecks or bootlegs etc. Of course they weren't-just the regular songs by the original artists, just mis-labled. Also, as far as Queen/Styx being similar, I always thought that Freddie and the Styx vocalist, while not neccessarily sounding the same, both had that almost Broadway style of singing (you know, actually being able to sing in the proper key, holding the note a long time...something most rock singers can't do). I'm not criticizing other rock singers, but many of them just can't sing in the proper sense like Freddie could (for example, watch the tribute concert-as wonderful a singer as most of those people may be, most "had to change keys because they couldn't do a Freddie", as Robert Plant said).

"The things you have to do for money..."
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe there's still people out there that can sit thru that entire song.

And it was DENNIS that "threw out" Tommy Shaw for Glen Burtnick and that failed comeback album in the 90s.

Paradise Theatre was the last true Styx album. After that, it seemed that each band member had their own agenda.

Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its also possible that Styx was inspired by Queen, seeing as how they played support for them during some of the Sheer Heart Attack Tour, the USA portion at least...

http://www.queenconcerts.com/live/queen/sha.html

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not