forum rss feed
Author

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 04:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

25 years ago today, MTV went on the air in the U.S. I was 10 years old and instantly hooked. I have so many memories of those first months. They would often show the same videos a bit too often because frankly, they didn't have that many to start. Often they'd forget to put up the artist & title graphic. They were WAY too excited when they got their hands on their first video effects machine, to do ultra-cool wipes and dissolves between videos. The first 'World Premiere Video' was Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" and you'd think it was like the biggest thing ever based on their excitement. They played "Under Pressure" constantly btw.... I saw "Calling All Girls" once in 1982 too.

As time went on, the original format of 24 hour music videos with the traditional Saturday night concert and the occasional special was gradually replaced by more and more programming which eventually had nothing at all to do with music.

MTV pretty much became a thing of the past for me after a few seasons of The Real World. I did come back for The Osbournes but got the hell outta there as soon as it was over ;)

I can't believe 25 years have passed. This makes me feel very, very old.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060731/ap_en_tv/mtv_at25

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday MTV!!!!
U woz great!!
Maybe if u get rid of those horrid reality shows and show musicvideos from all genres 24/7 i will come to your party!!

Killed by drones.
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday MTV!!!

(having flashbacks of Micheal Jackson moonwalking, Yo MTV Raps, The Real World, Jessica "Chicken of the sea" Simpson, and Nick Lachey (RIP) and Madonna tonguing down Britney and X-tina)

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I just turned on the telly and switched to MTV...

Happy birthday... This sounds silly. :P

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6375 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Making Teenage Vegetibles

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to watch "Unplugged", "Rock Block" and "Headbanger's Ball" but these are all gone. When I click on the MTV channel by accident, they never have anything but stupid ringtone commercials. I can't believe that there are still living people watching.

I do not want any google ads here.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MTV is the primary reason why the average person's appreciation for quality music has gradually gone down the sewer hole over the past 25 years, because the focus slowly shifted from the importance of music to the importance of "the image". Songs like "Video Killed The Radio Star" and "Radio Ga Ga" are two of the best foreshadowing songs ever. They spoke the truth.

One can argue that Queen could be partially to blame, since they are often credited to be the first band to record a promotional video, back in 1975. Perhaps that's where it all began...

Discuss.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still like MTV. They have some really stupid programmes like 'Room Raiders' or 'Dismissed', but then again programmes like 'Boiling Points' or 'Trailerpark Boys' are quit funny.

And spoken about music, ah well, I hardly listen to any music of this time. I rather listen to some really clever bands from years ago. When music was still music and when the take was the take.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."