Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question about Seven Seas of Rhye on the 'Queen' Album

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just brought Queen (the album) at my local Best buy this past Friday, and I was surprised to see Seven Seas of Rhye on the album...coz I always thought that song was on Queen II...anyways, it was actually just the 'music but no lyric' version of the song...(it actually was the remastered 1991 Queen album with Mad the Swine on it) but I was wondering why Seven Seas of Rhye is on there??


Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was going to give a really arrogant Greg Brooks type answer but I don't really know either. Other songs from Queen from Queen II were as or more completed and could've been previewed as well I guess. I guess they liked the song, I don't know.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mmmmmm, okay


Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, ignore that response.

The version on "Queen" was meant as an instrumental closer, much like 'Procession' is an instrumental openener. It was reworked for "Queen II" because they needed an extra song on Side Black.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scream_for_reality wrote:

As this has been answered 20 million times before.


...in this year.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Scream_for_reality wrote:

As this has been answered 20 million times before.


...in this year.



I know I know, I'm a recent fan of theres :)


Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Ok, ignore that response.

The version on "Queen" was meant as an instrumental closer, much like 'Procession' is an instrumental openener. It was reworked for "Queen II" because they needed an extra song on Side Black.



Oh okay thanks :)


Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scream_for_reality wrote:

As this has been answered 20 million times before.

They had the idea during the first album sessions already and the Queen II was meant to start with the finished version so it could follow up the Queen album. Later on they found that Procession would be a better start for Queen II and they moved up Seven Seas of Rhye.


I'm afraid that THAT's an apocryphical story. It wasn't planned.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They didn't use the long Seven Seas to fill gaps. Fred had half-written the song in '72 and they decided to finish Queen (I) with the instrumental demo and start off Queen II with the complete version. The idea was dropped later on when Fred composed March Of The Black Queen and they decided to make white and black sides.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
.::Figaro::. user not visiting Queenzone.com
.::Figaro::.
Champion: 75 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are 3 seven seas of rhye versions:
Instrumental - (Queen)
The Song - (Queen II)
Remix - (Bonus Track of Queen II)

I like it :D


I stayed up listening to Queen. When I was seventeen...
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scream_for_reality wrote:

As this has been answered 20 million times before.




Maybe so, but it's the first time I've seen it. I didn't know that and wondered casually about it myself.

Thanks for answering it the 20 millionth + one times! :)


We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when someone takes the time to ask a question why must people say "this is the 20 millionth time" blah blah?if you dont want to answer-DONT!!.this site gets new people everyday that it damn well needs so ease up on those who dont know all that you do.its simple to be nice.


john pistlli
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Ok, ignore that response.

The version on "Queen" was meant as an instrumental closer, much like 'Procession' is an instrumental openener. It was reworked for "Queen II" because they needed an extra song on Side Black.


My response was 100 times better than yours. It's the truth yours was factually flawed. As far as I know Seven seas didn't make Queen II because they lacked material. I think you've got your sides and songs mixed up. It was a germinal idea, the question is why that idea and not something like an instrumental Ogre Battle or Stone Crazy or any other song that wasn't on Queen wasn't chosen in place of seven seas of rhye. The only possible reason is because that idea excited them more so than songs that were as or more completed. My response to a redundant question.

Very bad of you to give infactual information to Queen n00bs, you might as well told the poor chap that Bohemian Rhapsody was about AIDS.

starsnstripes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I was wondering that too...I think it's because Queen weren't so popular back then as it was their first album...'Seven Seas of Rhye' was released after the album (Queen) came out and it was very popular, unlike Queen's first album which didn't sell as well, so in order to get the 2nd album (Queen 2) selling the song was added as they knew people would buy it for that song. At least I think that's why they did it...hope this helps!


You can be anything you want to be

Just turn yourself into anything that you think that you could ever be,

Be free with your tempo, be free, be free,

Surrender your ego, be free, be free, to yourse
dbruce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair, no-one can say for sure. Certainly no-one frequenting these boards. If people cited where they got their information from then it might carry a bit more weight, rather than just saying "you were wrong and I was right".

This board is just full of Queen snobs who would rather sit there thinking they know everything and talking down to new people like they're some kind of disease, rather than help introduce them to the history of the band.

What this place really needs is a good, in-depth FAQ. Something that covers all the questions that are apparently "asked 20 million times", with answers which are properly sourced and verified in some way.

My answer to the question at hand? The story I'd heard was that the song was in an early stage when the album was being finished and Freddie liked it so much he wanted to put it on the record, even if it was only a small snippet. Unfortunately I can't tell you where I read that, so no-one has any reason to believe me, and I wouldn't expect you to take it as the "right" answer.

David

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dbruce wrote:


This board is just full of Queen snobs who would rather sit there thinking they know everything and talking down to new people like they're some kind of disease, rather than help introduce them to the history of the band.


Let me ask you the question Dave, people, who're thinking they know everything, so do they know everything or not? If yes - how do they know everything and why others cannot know everything then? Why they can't check other sites about Queen? Or read the sleeves at least?

I'd agree with your point, but then the same person ask the same questions during the months... "Queen played in China?" - "No, check www.queenconcerts.com please" - "Thanks". One week later - the same person - "Queen played in Cuba?". Another one week. "Queen played in Russia?"... How much the patience a human must have to answer on the same questions to the same person?