Forums > Personal > Pet Sounds

forum rss feed
Author

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey music fans,
I was just listening to my old vinyl of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, gosh. What a great album! What hasn't been said about this great album? It was the album which attempted to trump Rubber Soul and Revolver by the Beatles, but was crushed by Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Mind that though, It's a great solid album about the other side of love and depression, in that poppy Beach Boys way though! One of the few overproduced albums which is highly praised(Remember how Queen II was always knocked down for being "over produced" what bollocks, Queen II is great..). Well, just wondering what everyones opinion is on this album. Love it, hate it? never heard of it? :)

bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, Sk- you are my hero!
I love the Beach Boys, I was raised on them. "Pet Sounds" was Brian's greatest accomplishment (maybe only second to his most recent album "Smile"). When Brian made this album, the rest of the guys scoffed at it, because it was far more progressive and musical than what they were used to. They wanted to stick to the easy pop songs. Thank God they finished this album. It's pure genius.

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:

Haha, Sk- you are my hero!
I love the Beach Boys, I was raised on them. "Pet Sounds" was Brian's greatest accomplishment (maybe only second to his most recent album "Smile"). When Brian made this album, the rest of the guys scoffed at it, because it was far more progressive and musical than what they were used to. They wanted to stick to the easy pop songs. Thank God they finished this album. It's pure genius.

Ahaha, I'm no hero..Just a music fan :p!
Ah, thats right! Poor Brian, he was being doubted the whole time! I believe one of the members even commented "Who would listen to this shit. Pets?" and thus in good satire nature, Brian named the album "Pet Sounds"(And re-named an instrumental after it). Glad to see a Queen fan with great musical taste. It is you who is the hero! :p!

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My sister is getting into the Beach Boys' work! :D
She's getting Sounds of Summer soon.

-Things Have Changed For Me-

Posted: 01 Aug 06, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=336600>ChinesedogTorture wrote:

My sister is getting into the Beach Boys' work! :D
She's getting Sounds of Summer soon.

Awesome, definately tell her to pick up Pet Sounds! It is simply the best! You will even enjoy it :)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spector always overproduced, and always got away with it clean.

You gotta dig surfsound. Just not the early junk the Beach Boys made. That was just as bad as pre-Rubber Soul Beatles.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 06:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson is indeed a genious. I have the Pet Sounds DVD-A, in 5.1 surround sound, it's freakin' awesome!

They have some very clever songs, like 'Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring'. I saw this song live on youtube and the 4-part harmonies are so great!

My favourite songs now are In My Room, Good Timin' and Disney Girls. But they have so many gems, I really can't choose anyway.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Spector always overproduced, and always got away with it clean.

You gotta dig surfsound. Just not the early junk the Beach Boys made. That was just as bad as pre-Rubber Soul Beatles.

Ah yes, Phil Spector, "Wall Of Sound" technique, you either love it or hate it. Ah, when it comes to Beach Boys I just enjoy Pet Sounds and the "Smile" singles(Heroes And Villians, Good Vibrations). Quite good stuff in my opinion. As for Pre-Rubber Soul Beatles being bad :p! I don't think so, Beatles For Sale was quite solid as was Help and a Hard Days Night, UK version lps mind you. I know they were butcherd in the USA/Canada

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

I love The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson is indeed a genious. I have the Pet Sounds DVD-A, in 5.1 surround sound, it's freakin' awesome!

They have some very clever songs, like 'Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring'. I saw this song live on youtube and the 4-part harmonies are so great!

My favourite songs now are In My Room, Good Timin' and Disney Girls. But they have so many gems, I really can't choose anyway.

Ah! lucky, I really need to get the album on DVD-A now!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good for the Beach Boys to record 'Pet Sounds'.

Making songs about surfing and California is quite pathetic.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't really see it as pathetic. How could it be? Given their huge poplarity in the 60's, I don't think most other people found it pathetic either. :-P Just another genre IMHO..
Does anyone have the "Smile" album? Gahh! I love it so much, it's just amazing. The only thing that can beat listening to it on CD, is listening to it live! My old man took me last summer to see Brian and his 18 member group. Just... breathtaking. :)

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't really see it as pathetic. How could it be? Given their huge poplarity in the 60's, I don't think most other people found it pathetic either. :-P Just another genre IMHO..
Does anyone have the "Smile" album? Gahh! I love it so much, it's just amazing. The only thing that can beat listening to it on CD, is listening to it live! My old man took me last summer to see Brian and his 18 member group. Just... breathtaking. :)

Haha, their you go again, making me want to pick up and listen to Smile! Tell me though, does it contain the original versions of "Heroes And Villians" and "Good Vibration" from 66/67? Or is it all remade(I know it was original slated for a 1967 release. Anyways, you really make "Smile" sound amazing, I'm definately gonna go out and buy it no doubt! Cheers!

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

Haha, their you go again, making me want to pick up and listen to Smile! Tell me though, does it contain the original versions of "Heroes And Villians" and "Good Vibration" from 66/67? Or is it all remade(I know it was original slated for a 1967 release. Anyways, you really make "Smile" sound amazing, I'm definately gonna go out and buy it no doubt! Cheers!

It does not have the originals. But I kind of like Brian's H&V better than the original. And GV is way better on Smile, than it is on it's original CD. You will LOVE "Smile". :)
Cheers!

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

We knew your musical taste was mediocre at best, but your musical tolerance goes out the window here. And I thought Ì was an elitist there!

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

We knew your musical taste was mediocre at best, but your musical tolerance goes out the window here. And I thought Ì was an elitist there!

Hah, aw go easy on him. Opinions will always be opinions!

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bohemian_queer wrote:

SK wrote:

It does not have the originals. But I kind of like Brian's H&V better than the original. And GV is way better on Smile, than it is on it's original CD. You will LOVE "Smile". :)
Cheers!

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I got "SMiLE" and enjoyed it very much! It truly is the "Teenage Symphony To God". It's the exact opposite of "Pet Sounds"(A celebration of life and joys oppose to the heartaching and depressions of life). Thanks for informing me about this gem :D! Get "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE" folks! You wont regret it!

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

bohemian_queer wrote:

SK wrote:

Cheers!

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I got "SMiLE" and enjoyed it very much! It truly is the "Teenage Symphony To God". It's the exact opposite of "Pet Sounds"(A celebration of life and joys oppose to the heartaching and depressions of life). Thanks for informing me about this gem :D! Get "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE" folks! You wont regret it!

Ahh! I'm so happy for you. It is magical, and I love it. Vegatables and Wonderful are my faves. Your thoughts? It was so cute, I got to see them in concert, and Brian said after a few moments.. "Ok, we're ready to Smile for you now." :) I loved every second of it.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Pet Sounds", without a doubt the Beach Boys' masterpiece. Spector's production-techniques used to their maximum, and vocal harmony in pop-music brought to the highest level pure consonance can support. An album which deserves a place on every music lover's shelve-of-honour, whether you like the Beach Boys or not.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

C'mon just admit it... The Beach Boys before 'Pet Sounds' was as disposable as the average boy band.

Good thing that for once that with 'Pet Sounds' they said... Let's cut the crap, and make a REAL album for once.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:

C'mon just admit it... The Beach Boys before 'Pet Sounds' was as disposable as the average boy band.

Good thing that for once that with 'Pet Sounds' they said... Let's cut the crap, and make a REAL album for once.

Oh I'll definitely admit they were disposable pop.. wait a minute.. disposable pop.. isn't that what Freddie called Queen's music? Ha. The Beach Boys' music captured a time and a place like no other band has. That's why they're remembered. And Pet Sounds wasn't exactly a team effort. Brian was on some heavy drugs then, and the rest of them didn't like the music he was writing at the time. They did that record for him, but only grudgingly.. They just didn't understand his genius...