Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What do people think of McFlys attempt of Dont Stop Me Now?

forum rss feed
Author

Grapes user not visiting Queenzone.com
Grapes
Bohemian: 239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Er yeah what do people think of McFlys attempt of Dont Stop Me Now? I've only heard it once but it is hideous!

Not the brightest crayon in the box...
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it albeit I'm somewhat disappointed that the arrangement is almost the same as in the Queen version.

But all in all it's nice, especially the ending and the 90s+ drumming with those tom fills.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Quonkers wrote:

I've always hated McFly, and I heard this version in HMV in London a few days ago and I hated it. I've heard some McFly fans say that this version is better than Queen's, which is absolute bullshit. Morons.

What do you expect when you hear that their core fans are teenagers who are more interested in looks than they are with talent.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought they did a pretty good job, I'd like to see the naysayers here do better.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

I thought they did a pretty good job, I'd like to see the naysayers here do better.

That doesn't take away the fact it's a lame cover. They should at least come up with a new arrangement. Their version doesn't do the songs justice as the singer just shouts instead of singin.

Killed by drones.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't mind it, but I hate their voices...

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Togg

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="green">The Fairy King wrote:

Togg wrote:

That doesn't take away the fact it's a lame cover. They should at least come up with a new arrangement. Their version doesn't do the songs justice as the singer just shouts instead of singin.

And what would everybody say if they did, "Holly cow they have ruined the song for me"

Frankly there ain't too many ways you can play that song without losing the point! sometimes they only work in one style and personally I'd say that was one, I guess you could do a reggae version or a punk version but that's not Mc Fly's style is it, they did it in the style of a pop band, funny that ain't it.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Togg wrote:

And what would everybody say if they did, "Holly cow they have ruined the song for me"

Frankly there ain't too many ways you can play that song without losing the point! sometimes they only work in one style and personally I'd say that was one, I guess you could do a reggae version or a punk version but that's not Mc Fly's style is it, they did it in the style of a pop band, funny that ain't it.

What's the point of covering a song when you are performing it exactly as the original? Well, the point for McFly is to make a quick buck off someone else's classic, or maybe this is a sincere hommage to Queen, but the artistic value of it is nil.

Contrast this with, for example, Stevie Ann's cover of "One Year Of Love", a totally different arrangement breathing new life into an old song, and showing it from a different perspective, making me appreciate the song a lot more than I did before. Now that is adding value to a song, rather than just rehashing the original.

Flick of the wrist
Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, I don't really like it all that much. And now, people are saying it's better than Queen? Crap!

Togg

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zaiga wrote:

Togg wrote:

Togg wrote:

What's the point of covering a song when you are performing it exactly as the original? Well, the point for McFly is to make a quick buck off someone else's classic, or maybe this is a sincere hommage to Queen, but the artistic value of it is nil.

Contrast this with, for example, Stevie Ann's cover of "One Year Of Love", a totally different arrangement breathing new life into an old song, and showing it from a different perspective, making me appreciate the song a lot more than I did before. Now that is adding value to a song, rather than just rehashing the original.

Well it is a charity single so I'm guessing Mc Fly will not get a lot from it other than another number one single, so I guess someone likes it.

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awful. Their second attempt of covering Queen. Just goes to show they never learnt the first time round NOT to do it again!

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

Awful. Their second attempt of covering Queen. Just goes to show they never learnt the first time round NOT to do it again!

I concur. Never. Again.

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marty Mc Fly?

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
mattsmith user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe that so many of you "Queen Fans" are putting this cover down just because you dont like Mc Fly.
Believe me, I am far from being their number one fan, but I think they did a great job.
Their version was true to the original, instrumentally and vocally very good, the use of harmonies I thought were better than the original too.
This is a great Queen song and Mc Fly have not fucked it up what so ever, just paid tribute to Queen by doing a decent cover.

Matt.

Innuendo or Kashmir? Both awesome!
_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The McFly cover or slaughter of DSMN is the worst attempt I have ever had the misfortune to hear. And the fact that it got to number one is even more unbelievable. Especially as the original didn't even reach that. It only managed 9.

There weak voices are torture to listen to. They probably record a line each as to enough strength. It is terrible and the video is laughable as well.

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=indigo>ORGASMIC CHILD<h6> wrote:

I have to say that its not that bad!!!!!!!!

Yeah... It's not THAT bad.. but it's not THAT good. LOL

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that it was great!

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Quonkers wrote:

mattsmith wrote:

I can't believe that so many of you "Queen Fans" are putting this cover down just because you dont like Mc Fly.

True I don't like McFly, but if I thought it was a good cover I would say so. But I don't, so I didn't.

By the way, what Queen song did they cover before?

Crazy Little Thing Called Love.....

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a lot of these covers going around at the moment.

mog101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 06, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i seen them play it on the telly and they mimed it

which is a disgrace