Forums > Personal > On behalf of myself (and Richard Orchard)

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There has been a lot of discussion about the "overlong thread" and the subsequent "deleting on request" of a couple of long time users. I am not apologising for the fact that I was offline 2 and a half days when the long thread was posted and I think it's unlikely that Richard will respond to all this discussion at all. He has been travelling and is still travelling on business issues the whole year and he has no time for anything. The people in question are gone and I am not wasting any time on them anymore. I accidentally deleted KillerKing840 - I thought he had asked to be deleted, too but apparently it was just one of his "I hate it, I am leaving" posts.

QZ is a fan website, it only exists because Richard has had the staying power for all these years. He does not want his board moderated and since it's his website, it's his decision. I have always supported his idea of an unmoderated board and I still do. As the person who has the thumb on the delete button I can say it's very easy to ask for moderation but how would you like it if I or another user decides what you can say and what you cannot say? If only posts were allowed that I like, this board would be boring like hell. If you have a moderated board, you need more specific rules and you need more people to enforce the rules. Soon enough there will be favouritism and complaints about double standards and all kinds of fights over moderation issues.

Richard has implemented a couple of "moderation" functions which I actually use a lot. I delete double posts, move topics around from forum to another forum and I surely have deleted hundreds of trolls over the years. Also, I delete posts in which illegal material is offered for download. But I don't lose sleep when at some point a thread is in a wrong forum and if a couple of double posts are overlooked.

I think it's great when people care about the board and discuss how it can be improved. I think it's useless and does not get us anywhere when people keep posting messages like "this board sucks, I am much too good for it and am not posting here!" Mainly when people post the same message every 3 weeks. It's also not helpful to call other users childish, immature and stupid and act childish, immature and stupid at the same time. Such behaviour does not "educate" people, it only drags the board down.

I ask all users to make this board worth your time. It's free and it's available and it's unmoderated, it should be a place of fun. Either use the service and enjoy it or leave the board alone and let other people use and enjoy it. Do not litter it with brainless garbage and spoil the fun for the others. If you are so important that you have to tell other people about each and every little bored moment in your life, write a blog, you can edit and delete it as you wish and you do not need to spam the board.

I do not want any google ads here.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of excellent points throughout that post, YV.

We tend to forget that this is Richard's website, as it has been for years, and it's his to do with as he chooses.

DJ's the man we love the most
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks again for Riichard's & YV's efforts.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats why I didnt see you in the chat room!

MY GOD spell it write.
sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i only asked for you guys to delete my old account. as i said i still like this board, if i were a band that was awesome and hada fanboard i would like it to be like this (minus the drama) obviously i will continue to post.

very instightful post btw

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the problem with the Personal section is that it is overrun with narcissistic circle jerks like "xxx Appreciation Thread", "The QZer Above You Part 1058", and "Random Thoughts", which add very little to the board except to increase the user's post count and show just how much everyone loves each other, something that could easily be said in the comfort of MSN or email.

That said, Barb, you're doing a hell of a job keeping the teenybopper shit separated from the regular shit, and for that you have my admiration. Kudos!

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeh Barb great job!
*cough*

General Queen Discussion:

What if Freddie was a flying horse?
reviving the caption thread :-D
Just out of interest?
3 cool guys..
Freddie's Alive
you wish Freddie was your lover?
What if...
What if Freddie was not gay??
You May Be an Obsessed Queen Fan If...

I don't think these threads fit in there.

Killed by drones.
S@turn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lucky that there is freedom of speech here, and that not many are to decide what subjects are 'done' and what not

If people respect each others opinion, post here in a respectful way, then no one should have a problem

In that case the moderation of this forum, I should name it maintenance, should be restricted to a few postings in the month

People who post here are responsible for the quality of the board, no one can blame another for that

Another fantastic posting of a wonderful person!

=================

all we need is internet-blog-blog, internet bla-bla

http://saturn.queenzone.com/

===

Let's make ourself better then we were befo
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QZ used to contain sensible individuals. Over the course of about two years (since I joined in 2004), it has slowly degenerated into a pit of spammers (who don't get deleted unless they are called Thijs Arends), racists (DudleyFufkin comes to mind), and a great many braindead people who are so bored they do nothing but post topics about the size of Roger's cock, Brian's nipples and Freddie's front teeth.

Most of the sensible users have been scared off or have given up hope; that is the saddest part.

It seems to have become QZ's policy to take numbers over content. Two years ago, the beforementioned people would have been told that their attitude was unwanted, and they'd be made to comply. Now, it's just ignored.

QZ is not functioning properly anymore. This might be due to lack of moderation, or just plain lack of caring by its members. Either way, something needs to be done. Apologies and explanations do not work any more; an effort must be made by both mods and members to turn this place back into the last haven of common sense in the digital Queen world it once was.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no solution. You can keep the board full of spammers and teenagers posting bullshit OR use moderation / censorship. Both options are wrong.

The board is literally full of shit these days but at least I got rid of my addiction to QueenZone :-) I used to visit the board like 50 times a day, nowadays it's once per two days...

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, but though you, JSS, Serry and a few others still manage to enlighten the board with some information every now and then, the fun is mostly gone now that bored kids with no lives have taken it over. I think that perhaps we should start enforcing the rules Richard set up (the "follow the rules or be banned" topic, or whatever he called it). That would at least make this place more bearable. Perhaps YV could use one or two extra mods, taken from the reliable regulars, and preferably from different timezones, who could take care of the bullshit topics by moving them to a new nonsense forum as soon as they appear, or something?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

an effort must be made by both mods and members to turn this place back into the last haven of common sense in the digital Queen world it once was.

I think Barbara's put up with quite a lot these last two years. Even you, Mr. Quinn, are guilty of bringing questionable material to Queenzone. But your final paragraph really sums it up. I think it is up to us, the users, to make it worthwhile here.

Believe me, I appreciate "good fun" as well, but often it gets taken too far. When we don't think before we post, we're as guilty as the 13 year olds using this board to say "penis" and madly laugh at themseleves 3 hours afterwards.

And using Qzone as "therapy" for your dating problems probably isn't a good idea either. If you can't meet a woman without using a computer, take your problems elsewhere!

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave! wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

an effort must be made by both mods and members to turn this place back into the last haven of common sense in the digital Queen world it once was.

I think Barbara's put up with quite a lot these last two years. Even you, Mr. Quinn, are guilty of bringing questionable material to Queenzone. But your final paragraph really sums it up. I think it is up to us, the users, to make it worthwhile here.

Believe me, I appreciate "good fun" as well, but often it gets taken too far. When we don't think before we post, we're as guilty as the 13 year olds using this board to say "penis" and madly laugh at themseleves 3 hours afterwards.

And using Qzone as "therapy" for your dating problems probably isn't a good idea either. If you can't meet a woman without using a computer, take your problems elsewhere!

"And using Qzone as "therapy" for your dating problems probably isn't a good idea either. If you can't meet a woman without using a computer, take your problems elsewhere!"

That's so true. Ha.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's your sign, baby?

JUST KIDDING!!!!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the idea of a "nonsense forum" might work, I have sent Richard an email and asked his opinion. It would give us the chance to "clean up" the other forums without actually deleting or censoring the crappy posts. People might learn how annoying their threads are when they keep being moved to a "trash forum". It could be a compromise that gives us some breathing space.

The fan mixes forum is an example how a decent forum can look like. It's not moderated but the users respect each other and share their hobby in peace.

I do not want any google ads here.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yay! Eat your heart out Quinn!! My idea will be implemented! ;)

Killed by drones.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

I think the idea of a "nonsense forum" might work, I have sent Richard an email and asked his opinion. It would give us the chance to "clean up" the other forums without actually deleting or censoring the crappy posts. People might learn how annoying their threads are when they keep being moved to a "trash forum". It could be a compromise that gives us some breathing space.

The fan mixes forum is an example how a decent forum can look like. It's not moderated but the users respect each other and share their hobby in peace.

I think that this is the best idea I have heard so far. If Richard does not want the site to be moderated, lets at least have a crappy post section where all the junk gets moved to.

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

I agree 100%

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

here! here!

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="green">The Fairy King wrote:

Yay! Eat your heart out Quinn!! My idea will be implemented! ;)

I don't mind, I just want a policy to be ENFORCED that crap is moved there.