Forums > Queen - General Discussion > John Deacon's Songwriting

forum rss feed
Author

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did John sing? At all? He never did on any Queen songs, so how exactly did he present songs like Another One Bites The Dust to other Queen members? Surely he must have played them the bass riff, but the singing?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microphone always switched off.

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
Poo, again

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The question isn't wether John can sing or not, it's how he presented songs like Another One Bites the Dust to his bandmates?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You people just avoided this poor lads question!!!!!! To steer this discussion back, did John provide any guide vocals to his tracks? I would love to know the answer too, I think I'm gonna email Brian and ask.

Poo, again

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="9933FF"><b>My Fairy Queen wrote:

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

The question isn't wether John can sing or not, it's how he presented songs like Another One Bites the Dust to his bandmates?

he probably played the bass part to them...made out the notes and showed them the lyrics. lol

For some reason I thought Freddie was the only one in the band able to read and write sheet music?

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't he have some sort of unconfident view on his own singing voice.

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
HyP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't I read somewhere that some of John's depression in the mid 80's was due to the fact that (1) all the other guys were putting out solo albums and (2) he can't sing, so no solo album for him.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pre-synths era: He sang the songs to Freddie in order to teach him the melody

Synths era: He did a demo with melody lines

Sources: Brian May + David Richards

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bohemian MAY-niac/Deaconite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John in fact did sing some backing vocals for "Somebody to Love", "Liar", and a few others. As for presenting songs, He brought in his compostitons to his bandmates and they played them, as far as I know. He was very self confident of his voice. He feared that it wasn't very good, so he didn't sing alot. Hell, when you can hear his voice, I think it sounds very good, but that's my opinion. Like Brian and Roger said, "John didn't write many songs, but the ones that he did write were hits."

I love John Deacon and Brian May!!!
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 06, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He did sing backing vocals to a few of their songs, ones mentioned above. Maybe a few more? I don't know.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fact, John sang the lyrics of AOBTD to the rest of the boys. After that, Roger told him that he never ever should sing again.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Vykk Draygo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

he probably played the bass part to them...made out the notes and showed them the lyrics. lol

yeah I think so, I guess John was afraid to sing on stage because (maybe) he felt not proud of his voice, but singing in the studio with the rest of the band should not be a problem for him.

Poo, again

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Pre-synths era: He sang the songs to Freddie in order to teach him the melody

Synths era: He did a demo with melody lines

Sources: Brian May + David Richards

Thanks. ;)

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> In fact, John sang the lyrics of AOBTD to the rest of the boys. After that, Roger told him that he never ever should sing again.

That's not true. That story's always been misquoted.

> I guess John was afraid to sing on stage but singing in the studio with the rest of the band should not be a problem for him.

Exactly, people seem to find that quite difficult to understand. It's the same as when, for instance, Brian came up with a drum part or Freddie with a guitar solo, etc. They didn't have to make it perfectly, just clear enough to teach the man in charge how did they want it.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A little bit more about John's songs (by Seb):
http://www.deaky.com/beat/inputE.html

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I can say is that he must have been a really bad singer. I mean, Brian May does not have a good voice, so if he was worse than Brian May, he must have been essentially tone deaf.

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

In fact, John sang the lyrics of AOBTD to the rest of the boys. After that, Roger told him that he never ever should sing again.

Roger is an ass! lol

Some people would call that being dreadfully honest.

MotherGoose user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I wish John would have worked with a vocal coach, his speaking voice sounds allright. Oh well. Wish he would have wrote more. When he picked up a pen, brilliance came out of it! He knew he could write songs.

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the GIRLZ are back in town wrote:

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Roger is an ass! lol

Some people would call that being dreadfully honest.

Brutally honest :s

Awfully honest :D

Vykk Draygo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May has not a very good voice (as Freddie had), but he can use it well, not out of tune. But ok, I prefer Freddie!

-My Fairy Queen, did you met Brian May??? I tried to meet him, last year at the end of the Madrid concert, but finally it was imposible. Could you tell me about it? That's one of my dreams...-