SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Updated!

*ThomasQuinn
**pma

So Far: 61-76

(Note:I'm thinking of this in a general sort of way. If it was up to me, I'd list every album of Bob Dylan, The Who-Sells Out, Wings-Red Rose Speedway, Loves-Forever Changes etc etc)

60s

Bob Dylan-Freewheelin'-Opened the eyes to a new generation. The start of deep lyrical content. Truly the start of the modern day singer/songwriter. Its too hard to describe the importance of this album. Beautifully crafted and inspiring

Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde On Blonde- Never were strong lyrics and musical genius ever so wide spread.
Would open the doors and open even more minds with the single "Like A Rollin' Stone". Blonde On Blonde, the follow up album. Would be Rock And Rolls first Double LP. Chalk full of poppy folk and epic ballads of love and loss. I could spend all day talking about it.

Beatles-Rubber Soul/Revolver- Perhaps an early start on the "World Music" trend. Fine music in general.High eastern influence in both lps.

The Who-My Generation- Rock and Roll with angst! This is the one album that started the garage band trend. High powered vocals and defying the world would never be this cool ever again. The OX is a great jamming song.

Beach Boys-Pet Sounds-Brain Child of over producing. Mono mixing at its finest. Pure art.

Velvet Underground-And Nico-Very akin to "My Generation", same garage sound, plus the eastern influence of "Rubber Soul". It's so hard to describe this masterpiece...

*The Doors-The Doors-A fusion of blues and (folk-)rock gives a platform for sheer poetry in lyrics to be heard in popular music

Beatles-The Beatles(White Album)- Massively huge, even more artistic, four individual artists, realizing their potential and creativity. A shining gem of the 60s.

**Byrds -Sweetheart of the Rodeo-/Flying Burrito Brothers-The Gilded Palace of Sin-

The Gram Parsons era Byrds and Gram's band FBB's works are widely considered as somewhat of pioneering works of country-rock as a music form. FBS also consisted multi-instrumentalist Bernie Leadon who later took a lot of GP's vision of country-influenced rock into the first two Eagles albums (Eagles and Desperado) and also named the group.

The Who-Tommy-At the time, the subject matters were quite taboo(Child Molestation,Disabilities etc). Not only was the acoustic/electric fusion inspiring, the fact that it flowed seamlessly would inspire artists for years to come(Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody comes to mind).

Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed- The blues has never been mixed with rock and roll so well. This was a new form of the classic R&B that made the Rolling Stones famous in the first place. Derek and The Dominoes "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" would also follow this formula.

70s

Simon And Garfunkel-Bridges Over Troubled Water-
Maturity and Fun sums up this album. Paul and Art were at their last crossroads together while making this album. That didn't stop it from being their best though. Lyrically beautiful and somewhat haunting. Irreplaceable instrumental work. A great way to start the 70s.

*Deep Purple-In Rock-Creates the first 'modernist' hard rock out of power-blues.

*Deep Purple-Machine Head-Introduces the first modern metal, with the very first speed-metal song in history, Highway Star. Paves the way for heavy metal.

T-REX-Electric Warrior- An offshoot of folk plus rock and roll. Marc Bolan was a gifted artist, making his music as poppy and mainstream as anyone else's. despite its odd nature. It's punk like feeling and vocals would give Marc the praise he was looking for, for many years. Glam Rock was born.

Marvin Gaye-Whats Going On- The one man symphony, over dubbing at its finest. Lyrically beautiful and mixed perfectly. Marvin Gaye would never top this album, and us the fans, would never stop praising it. Truly beautiful.

John Lennon-Imagine-Exactly like "What's Going On". Ly

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have some to add:

Jean-Michel Jarre: Oxygene (1976)

Oxygene opened a new era, with music created with ONLY synthesizers becoming not only available to, but also popular with, the masses.

Deep Purple: In Rock (1970)

Creates the first 'modernist' hardrock out of power-blues.

The Doors - The Doors (1967)

A fusion of blues and (folk-)rock gives a platform for sheer poetry in lyrics to be heard in popular music.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And:

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1971)

Introduces the first modern metal, with the very first speed-metal song in history, Highway Star. Paves the way for heavy metal.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

I have some to add:

Jean-Michel Jarre: Oxygene (1976)

Oxygene opened a new era, with music created with ONLY synthesizers becoming not only available to, but also popular with, the masses.

Deep Purple: In Rock (1970)

Creates the first 'modernist' hardrock out of power-blues.

The Doors - The Doors (1967)

A fusion of blues and (folk-)rock gives a platform for sheer poetry in lyrics to be heard in popular music.

Nice additions! Very agreeable. Deep Purples Made In Japan also set a standard for live releases!(As did the Who's Live At Leeds). Keep them coming friends! It would be awesome to create a huge definitive list! Cheers

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968)
, Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) Flying Burrito Brothers - Burrito Deluxe (1970) etc.

The Gram Parsons era Byrds and Gram's band FBB's works are widely considered as somewhat of pioneering works of country-rock as a music form. FBS also consisted multi-instrumentalist Bernie Leadon who later took a lot of GP's vision of country-influenced rock into the first two Eagles albums (Eagles and Desperado) and also named the group.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pma wrote:

Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968)
, Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) Flying Burrito Brothers - Burrito Deluxe (1970) etc.

Awesome, its info like this that makes me realize that there are still younger people out their with great taste! I'll definately add this to the list :D. Keep them coming friends!

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just thought maybe we should add Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" lp due to it bringing country folk to the masses as well(as well as making Johnny Cash a household name). Thoughts?

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Updated!

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are we talking about rock specifically or...

'Cause I think that Johnny Cash's 'Live At Folsom Prison' really deserves to be on there.

Also, as much as The Monkees are labelled as a boy band, their third and fourth albums, Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd., were pretty groundbreaking: Headquarters proved that they could actually play and write their own music, and PACJL featured a musical revolution by being one of the first albums in rock to feature a Moog synth so prominently (on 'Daily Nightly' and 'Star Collector'), years before Townshend and Stevie Wonder made truly integrated them.

And Sgt. Pepper made a pretty big splash at the time, I believe...

I know I keep adding, but I keep thinking of more. The Clash's London Calling, The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks, and Elvis Costello's This Year's Model really brought about the punk boom in the late seventies.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

I know I keep adding, but I keep thinking of more. The Clash's London Calling, The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks, and Elvis Costello's This Year's Model really brought about the punk boom in the late seventies.

Not to mention some of the early Police albums.

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Are we talking about rock specifically or...

'Cause I think that Johnny Cash's 'Live At Folsom Prison' really deserves to be on there.

Also, as much as The Monkees are labelled as a boy band, their third and fourth albums, Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd., were pretty groundbreaking: Headquarters proved that they could actually play and write their own music, and PACJL featured a musical revolution by being one of the first albums in rock to feature a Moog synth so prominently (on 'Daily Nightly' and 'Star Collector'), years before Townshend and Stevie Wonder made truly integrated them.

And Sgt. Pepper made a pretty big splash at the time, I believe...

Ah yes, no specifics of course. Thats why Marvin Gaye is on there etc. Ah, yes I havent quite gotten to the "punk era" yet(So far we are up to 1975-Dylans Blood On The Tracks). Yes I agree about Sgt Pepper, But it was the combination of Rubbersoul/Relvolver plus Petsounds by the Beach Boys that brought that, those albums were the mothers that shaped the Sgt Pep lp. Although, if people dont mind, I'd love to add SPLHCB. As for everything else(Johnny Cash etc etc). Please feel free to write any "mini-review" up and I'll add it to the list nooo problem :D

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Led Zeppelin, no Pink Floyd, and no albums from the 80s and 90s?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

No Led Zeppelin, no Pink Floyd, and no albums from the 80s and 90s?

Havent quite gotten there yet! I plan on adding...

Pipers-Floyd
Dark Side-Floyd

we still got to finish up the 70s,80s,90s and 00s albums! So come on folks :) feel free to contribute

and I originally had Led Zeppelin II but I took it away due to it being too much of a personal thing. I think for Led Zeppelin, we will have to list Physical Graffit or Zoso, those are more world wide accepted as albums that shaped music. cheers

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If we are including Funk/Rock/Blues,

Chicago Transit Authority (1967)
Tower of Power (1973)

bringing the horn section back into rock bands.

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave! wrote:

If we are including Funk/Rock/Blues,

Chicago Transit Authority
Tower of Power

bringing the horn section back into rock bands.

Cool, want to give me a year for that so I can put it in the appropriate area mate? thanks much

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GOD BLESS THE BEATLES

I can't imagine where would music be without them

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

GOD BLESS THE BEATLES

I can't imagine where would music be without them

True, it was them and Bob Dylan that changed music forever(Dylan was the one who inspired them to make Rubber Soul and the albums after that....)

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I hate Bob Dylan and I consider him one of the worst singers ever.

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

Actually, I hate Bob Dylan and I consider him one of the worst singers ever.

Yeah you told me before heh! But you can't deny the influence he has had. He changed music forever, I can't imagine what would happen if he didnt make "Freewheelin'". And he changed the Beatles for sure. Hell he's on the cover of Sgt Peppers actually hehe. Cheers.

PS. Bob Dylans voice kicks ass, Better then F.Mercurys. :p hehe. No not really. But I do enjoy his work/voice more and this is coming from a huge Queen fan!

Posted: 10 Aug 06, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I didn't know any of his songs before I first listened to him (cuz I wanted to know who the fuck was him).

I still think he didn't change anything...

but what do I know about history of music

my job is to play and to write music, I don't care if he helped to create the double dildo or whatever

=P