Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did they know it was their last

forum rss feed
Author

Ozzy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 190 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Aug 06, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did the band know that Knebworth '86 would be their last concert.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe they knew it was something they wouldn't be doing for some time. Or that they wouldn't do it as often. But they surely didn't know it was their last with Freddie

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure I've watched, heard or read an interview of Brian's recently where he said that basically they did all have the feeling at the time this would be their last ever concert.

Can anyone else confirm I'm not imagining things?

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, at least freddie knew.

nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

During the 1989 hour long BBC radio interview with all 4, all but Freddie said that they had wanted to tour with The Miracle, and Freddie listed various reasons why he didn't want to. If you take it at face value that the 3 wanted to tour, then it's unlikely that they could have known Knebworth was going to be the last show. I presume Freddie would have realised after his diagnosis that he would not be strong enough to tour again. Personally i think that hindsight and bereavement bring out all sorts of feelings in people that they somehow knew certain things were going to happen.

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nationofhaircuts44 wrote:

During the 1989 hour long BBC radio interview with all 4, all but Freddie said that they had wanted to tour with The Miracle, and Freddie listed various reasons why he didn't want to. If you take it at face value that the 3 wanted to tour, then it's unlikely that they could have known Knebworth was going to be the last show. I presume Freddie would have realised after his diagnosis that he would not be strong enough to tour again. Personally i think that hindsight and bereavement bring out all sorts of feelings in people that they somehow knew certain things were going to happen.

What were the reasons Freddie stated?

-Things Have Changed For Me-
nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant remember the whole answer, but he joked he was too old to be prancing around in leotards or words to that effect.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2255 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

I'm sure I've watched, heard or read an interview of Brian's recently where he said that basically they did all have the feeling at the time this would be their last ever concert.

You're not daydreaming, Bohardy :) he did say something to that effect some time ago.

Cheers

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was at that wonderful show. During the show i was drawn into an incident of Hells Angels stabbing a Status Quo fan and i tried to get him to the red cross posts in time, but he didn't make it. (I never learned about who he was. If anybody knows, please tell me...) After the show, the band were told about the incident, and Freddie said: "if people have to die because they wanna see us, i'll NEVER perform live again." It is a fact they never did a gig after that....but i don't know if they new BEFORE the show, if it was going to be their last show together. The size of the venue couldn't have been the problem, or the fear that it was impossible to ever "top" this occasion...They did Rio after all, and this came after Rio...and at that time they thought Rio was impossible to top. Yet they did the Knebworth thing. The stabbing and death of a fan, was something that really made an impact on all bandmembers and other people present...and knowing Freddie, it might very well have added to the fact that they never did tour again i guess.

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there were plans to take the Magic Tour to Japan so i doubt anyone knew Knebworth would be the last show.

john pistlli
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

You're probably imagining things, but this one thing is true. It was on the Wembley DVD, where Brian said there was a fight or something backstage at one of the gigs and Freddie said something like, "I won't be doing this forever, you know", and Brian thought that was Freddie's way of saying that their days as a live band were coming to an end.

As someone said, hindsight is 20/20; they probably had no idea 1986 would be their last year.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stateside fan wrote:

there were plans to take the Magic Tour to Japan so i doubt anyone knew Knebworth would be the last show.

I've never heard that before. It's widely known that the boys wanted a break after the European tour. What's your source?

You're the same guy who said Queen's Live Killers was originally called "Queen: Live Worldwide". I emailed that Philadelphia DJ, btw, and I haven't gotten a reply, and that was weeks ago. And I still haven't received that recording you promised me, at least half a year ago.

I'm starting to doubt every word you say, John.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well it's a tricky one. On the Live At Wembley disc 2, Brian mentions an argument between Fred and John in Spain which was the leg before Knebworth. Freddie said that soon, he would no longer be able to tour, which seems to me a suggestion that he was feeling the first effects of AIDS. This view is supported by Mercury's tired appearance at several of the shows and more limited mobility though no one noticed because he cleverly went on massive stage-long runs during Now I'm Here and One Vision etc. I think the sheer scale of the Knebworth show gave an unspoken finale feeling, as did Freddie's decision to not attend the after show party.

Referring to 1989, the others definitely wanted to tour, which seems to imply that in 1988, they noticed nothing particualarly odd about Fredie's condition, so my answer is they didn't know for sure in 86 but the doubts were there.

hj

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie couldn't party anymore when he was informed about the death of the Status Quo fan during the show....

Ozzy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 190 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't know some one died. On the point of the sheer scale of the concert, whos knows the approximate number of people

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie had to be pursuaded to tour at all in 86, he apparently nearly backed out the week before the tour started, but Jim talked him round.

In 86 he didn't have enough time to come to terms with his health and frankly I doubt he was feeling any side effects at all other than simple age.

Not until 88 did he really start to go downhill, and even the band were still unsure what he was dealing with at that point.

I think Freddie had probably grown very bored with touring by 86 and wanted to take things a little more easily after then, I seriously doubt anyone knew or thought it was there last concert, however I suspect they all knew it would be a long time before they hit the stage again and I suspect they possibly even thought they would never again play such a venue.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Freddie had to be pursuaded to tour at all in 86, he apparently nearly backed out the week before the tour started, but Jim talked him round.

Was this because of AIDS, or the apathy? Freddie went for an AIDS test in '86, but was that before or after the tour?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was told in Budapest he was hiv-seropositive.