Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Burns or Brian May Sig. ver?

forum rss feed
Author

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, I've found quite a deal for a brand new Burns model of the red special in black. It's on clearance for just 300 pounds (no case). I was thinking it may be time to take the plunge! EXCITING!!
However, as we all know, Brian took over from Burns and the headstock now reads HIS signature. So... there's a pretty simple question for the clever guitar folks here.

Would I be better off with the Burns version or the newer Brian sig. version?

I'm thinking there won't really be a difference, but you never know!

Peace,
Adam.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's barely any difference at all in general. I have a non-Burns and it's fantastic,

However this year's model (with the semicircle behind the bridge) seems to have had the switches moved in a way that I don't personally like.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 13 Aug 06, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They moved the switches? Why? How is it set out differently to the old Burns layout?

Thanks for the info.

Peace,
Adam.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have an early Burns number 80 in fact, which I have had no problems with, I have heard and seen some less well construced burns models much later on. and some say they don't stay in tune, I have never had that problem.

I would personally go for the Bri model just to be sure, I think they have amended the trem which is a bit of a pain frankly and the build qualty will probably be better.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm... if I went for a Brian sig ver it would be £200 more. If there's just a better tremelo (something I like to use but am not too fussy about) and less loss of tuning, I'm sure I could be happy.

But I would like to know more about the tuning thing. I half-remember it coming up. But I don't really remember the details about it. Did it just fall out of tune when using the tremelo?

Peace,
Adam.

Togg

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest I have not had the problem, but yes some have said it falls out when using the trem.

Mine seems fine, in fact it stays in tune better than my custom shop Strat!!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Togg

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I spoke to a guy in a guitar shop at the weekend who will not stock the older burns because he says the build quality isn't great, I have to say I have yet to see one that wasn't pretty good considering the price the go out at. OK it's not a Les Paul, but what do you expect for that kind on money.

My advice would still be to go for the newer vesion, I think in the end the extra money will mean a better quality instrument they will have sorted a few niggles out.

And whilst it's a pain I do think that in music you get what you pay for and rarely do you find instruments that stand up to the top gear. There is a world of difference between for example a Squire strat and a USA or custom shop model, they are just different animals all together.

Same goes for amps, a good Fender or Marshall valve amp and of course Vox are simply in a different league to the lower end stuff, you only have to play for a few minutes to appreciate the difference.

wimba user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi there

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to do this, and if i'm not please delete this, but i'm Andrew from a company called A Strings. A Strings is the UK and US Distributor of Optima strings, we supply Brian with his strings and as a result of this much of our stock is BM related due to requests from fans etc.

We stock the New Brian May Signature Guitar. I personally own a Burn and Guild 93 model. The new Guitar is better than the burns for the following reasons -

1. Tremelo system is a LOT better
2. White switches instead of "stage blind" black switches (and they are in the same place as the old switches)
3. The finish on this new guitar is so much nicer to the Burns era finish. It's actually better/closer to the original than the Guild
4. Improved sounding pickups to the Burns.

They are available on my site at £495.00 +delivery (tax to be deducted from price for non-EU sales)

If there are any guitarists on here that are interested in anything on the site, please email me through the website and mention qz.com and i'll give you a 10% discount from strings.

Cheers

Andrew - www.astrings.co.uk

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wimba wrote:

4. Improved sounding pickups to the Burns.

They are available on my site at £495.00 +delivery (tax to be deducted from price for non-EU sales)

Interesting point. How do they sound better exactly?

Peace,
Adam.

EDIT: And Gak have the 2006 model for £475. Which is £485 including VAT & Delivery.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8157

wimba user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian explained on his soapbox a few months back

"These days I think filling up pickups with resin or glue is quite commonplace. I think Burns must do it with their new issue pickups, because they 'sing' very nicely. We use them on our Brian May Guitars issue models, and the quality is very good. My “Commercial copy” guitars have been through various incarnations ... they were first made by Guild of America, and then by Burns of England, and now we manufacture them ourselves, using workshops in Korea. We have been able to gradually improve the quality to the point where most of our We Will Rock You guitarists are now able to use them "off the shelf". Along the way we have used pickups made by top pickup manufacturers Di Mazio and Seymour Duncan, custom made to replicate the sound those original Burns jobs made. Now we have returned to Burns, since they have begun making them again ... and very good they are too ! All the new BM guitars are fitted with the recreated "Tri-sonic" pickups, and they sing just right !"
www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjul06a.html

cheers

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is all no-never-mind to me, I'm perfectly happy with my Burns. The thing stays in tune no matter how hard I beat it up. (Figuratively speaking, that is). I did a great thing today by locking myself in a TAFE rehearsal room with just me, the Burns and a very very loud amp.
Thank God for earplugs, but fuck it was a blast.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am now just learning to play guitar and at my age, doubt I will ever be good enought o warrant purchasing the May guitar (though that new acoustic looks nice). Anyway, check out this site if you have not done so
http://www.musicbackingtracks.co.uk/

I have some non-queen tracks for guitarists and they are great quality and fun to play along with. The tracks for vocalists sre good to. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
By the way, anyone know what the new May acoustic guitar will sell for?
Cheers

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't buy a Burns. The pick-ups are shite. I played a new BHM guitar this weekend and the difference between the old tri-sonics and the new ones are night and day. The old tri-sonics just don't sound right but the new ones are pretty good. Contact Wimba, he's a good guy and his prices are the best. I buy my strings from Andrew, and I live in Houston, Texas.

Juan

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coops, please don't hijack the thread with unrelated info, please.

Now, has anyone on the forum done this mod to their guitar? If so, how did it turn out?

http://www.treblebooster.com/brian_may_pickup_mod.htm

Peace,
Adam.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for that Juan. Are there any new comparisons between the old and the new guitars? Then I can really hear the difference being talked about. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the newer model now, but it would be nice to hear more!

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tried Scotts modification on my Burns, since I was so unhappy with the sound I was getting. The changes are quite good actually. A little brighter sounding, but I like the changes.

Juan

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Page 10 of the latest Fan club mag shows the new edition of the guitar, and the switches are no longer parallel. It doesn't look like an optical illusion.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see what you mean PG. Hmm... wonder why that is! Weird change.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Comparison wise it's really the same guitar, the same feel which is great. The switches are white which is better than the Burns. They are still using the same pickguard Burns used, and the half moon near the tremolo. The tremolo is a little smoother than the old Burns. The best upgrade is the tri-sonic pickups, they have more bite and more power.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ihavenolegs wrote:

Don't buy a Burns. The pick-ups are shite.

You're doing something wrong. Ha-ha.

Not that I doubt the new one's are better. I cannot wait to hear 'em because I've only heard good things about the improvements.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller