Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > mp3 Surround

forum rss feed

pcgenius9 user not visiting

Bohemian: 937 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was recently reading a magazine article about a new type of mp3 format called mp3 surround. Without going into too much detail, it basically re-encodes existing mp3 files into 5.1 surround sound automatically. Using mp3 SX program and the specifically created player, a user can listen to their newly created mp3 surround files using 5.1 speakers or standard headphones. With the click of a button, the player can emulate 5.1 surround sound in standard 2.1 speakers or headphones. I thought this was too good to be true and had to give it a go.

I encoded Earl's Court's Tie Your Mother Down into the new format and played it with standard headphones and was disappointed, after the article I read was full of praise.

I decided to upload these here for you to make up your own mind if you wish.

You need to download the special player:

To encode your own you need to download the converters:

Rapidshare of Tie Your Mother Down:

To play the file on standard stereo speakers whilst emulating surround click the headphones button in the player. The file will play in any mp3 player, without the 5.1 surround information.

I personally don't think it works too well, but see what you think. I would be particularly interested in your view if you actually have 5.1 speakers as I don't. Just thought I would share - read the article in Personal Computer World UK magazine.

Dislocate your spine...