Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Magic Tour stage

forum rss feed
Author

Mikal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Magic Tour stage seemed to be the biggest stage used in rock concerts at that time as far as I know.I'm interested how did Queen make it fit in indoor venues they played on that tour.Did they remove some parts of it or did they have exact replica which was smaller than the one used for stadium gigs?


Mike
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I maybe wrong but I don't think they did any indoor venues that tour, it was the stadium tour.

Either way with a stage like that it's all constructed in sections as all venues are different so they always have to change things around to fit each stadium or concert hall, no two stages are ever exactly the same, a lot of the time you'll find carpenters either shortening the stage or lenghtening it. This is particuarly true of concerts indoors, all ceilings are differnent heights and venues different widths so they have to allow for that when they design a stage.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that there not one show that was indoors? Perhaps I am wrong though.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great contribution Pieter. Especially the last 2 posts are very handy, thanks =P.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Mikal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Following shows were held indoors:Leiden,Brussels,Munich,Zurich,Vienna.


Mike
Mercury 90 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mercury 90
Bohemian: 167 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think, i have heard somewere(maybe on the wembley DvD) that the stage for the wembley stadium was only build for these two concerts and the other stage for the rest of the tour was smaller!

But it can be wrong too


Keep Yourself Alive

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Great contribution Pieter. Especially the last 2 posts are very handy, thanks =P.


And what is it that you are contributing pRick...oh yeah now I know it-->...Nothing...Are you still in the puberty?? grow up little boy.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To add on...

The stage was not or never was owned by Queen. There are touring companies that are hired by the Venue based on the info given to them by the band.

That company works with the Queen people, but they are paid by the venue and own the stage.

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave! wrote:

To add on...

The stage was not or never was owned by Queen. There are touring companies that are hired by the Venue based on the info given to them by the band.

That company works with the Queen people, but they are paid by the venue and own the stage.


in wembley DVD Edwin Shirley say that there were 3 stages...

"There are touring companies that are hired by the Venue based on the info given to them by the band." or is the other way around? i think it's the band that hires the company to design and build the stages that are adepted to every venue.

The wembley stage was not unique,was also used in Knebworth am i right? and why didn't they use the same stage in Budapest? they had enogh room even to make a BIGGER stage for Budapest,just compare the stage from wembley/kneb with the one used in Budapest.

did they use the bigger stage ONLY in Wembley and Knebworth?

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

radio_what's_new wrote:

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Great contribution Pieter. Especially the last 2 posts are very handy, thanks =P.


And what is it that you are contributing pRick...oh yeah now I know it-->...Nothing...Are you still in the puberty?? grow up little boy.


I'm not even going to react to this one, oops, I already did it. Anyway I had a good laugh with your 'little boy' comment :-).


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Mikal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

popy wrote: [/did they use the bigger stage ONLY in Wembley and Knebworth?


They probably used it at every stadium show on this tour.I also noticed that during Budapest show there was a fire burning on both sides of the stage (on top) but I may be wrong cause I saw it quite a long time ago.


Mike
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

popy wrote:


i think it's the band that hires the company to design and build the stages that are adepted to every venue.


No, the venue does. They have to carry the insurance. If Brian fell thru the stage, the stage company and ultimately the venue are liabile. A special stage may be requested, but it goes thru the venue first. It all really boils down to liability. Queen may say they hired the Smith Company, but they really did it thru the management corporation that owns the building.


The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave! wrote:

If Brian fell thru the stage, the stage company and ultimately the venue are liabile.


Is this what happened when Brian fell into the piano pit this year? :P

Mikal wrote:

popy wrote:

did they use the bigger stage ONLY in Wembley and Knebworth?

They probably used it at every stadium show on this tour.I also noticed that during Budapest show there was a fire burning on both sides of the stage (on top) but I may be wrong cause I saw it quite a long time ago.


No, apparently the Wembley stage was unique... bigger than all the other shows, except for when it was used again for Knebworth.

I may be wrong, so someone can correct me if they'd like!



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Mircrowave! wrote:

If Brian fell thru the stage, the stage company and ultimately the venue are liabile.


Is this what happened when Brian fell into the piano pit this year? :P

Mikal wrote:

popy wrote:

did they use the bigger stage ONLY in Wembley and Knebworth?

They probably used it at every stadium show on this tour.I also noticed that during Budapest show there was a fire burning on both sides of the stage (on top) but I may be wrong cause I saw it quite a long time ago.


No, apparently the Wembley stage was unique... bigger than all the other shows, except for when it was used again for Knebworth.

I may be wrong, so someone can correct me if they'd like!
I think it too. It are the only shows who had the big screen too , I think.


on my way up
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Aug 06, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's mentioned in the linear notes in the Wembley CD that they had to dig into the foundations of the stadium to build that huge stage, so that implies that this one was bigger than any other used in the Magic tour.

Personally, I liked best smaller stages. The band looked distant and apart in Wembley.