Forums > Personal > Classic Album Vs Classic Album Part One-1975

forum rss feed
Author

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please contribute and discuss, only if you are familiar with the two albums(If you are just gonna go "WOOOO NIGHT AT THE OPERA!!" then..please..save it for another topic :)..this is for music fans in general, not just Queen loving ones) Please don't be biased either :). This is just for fun, please remember, I don't have the time to review it all the way through at the moment, but I will eventually :) have fun everyone!

A Night At The Opera-Queen 21 November 1975
Vs
Blood On The Tracks-Bob Dylan January 17, 1975

Stats

A Night At The Opera 44:11

Side 1

1. "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To...)" (Freddie Mercury) – 3:43
2. "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" (Mercury)-1:07
3. "I'm in Love with My Car" (Roger Taylor)-3:05
4. "You're My Best Friend" (John Deacon) – 2:52
5. "'39" (Brian May) – 3:31
6. "Sweet Lady" (May) – 4:03
7. "Seaside Rendezvous" (Mercury) – 2:15

Side 2

1. "The Prophet's Song" (May) – 8:21
2. "Love of My Life" (Mercury) – 3:39
3. "Good Company" (May) – 3:23
4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Mercury) – 5:55
5. "God Save the Queen" (trad.; Arr. May) – 1:18

Blood On The Tracks 51:41

Side 1

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" – 5:40
2. "Simple Twist of Fate" – 4:18
3. "You're a Big Girl Now" – 4:36
4. "Idiot Wind" – 7:45
5. "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" – 2:58

Side 2

1. "Meet Me in the Morning" – 4:19
2. "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" – 8:50
3. "If You See Her, Say Hello" – 4:46
4. "Shelter from the Storm" – 4:59
5. "Buckets of Rain" – 3:29



Vocals-
Freddie Mercury Vs Bob Dylan: Mercury shows a lot of feelings throughout this whole album, using his famous vocals. But, what Mercury lacks, is the feeling. For example, "Death On Two Legs.." is a song of angst and pure hatred, yet Mercurys voice still gives off a pop-like performance. Compare this to Dylan's "Idiot Wind", Dylan's voice shows the true anger in his voice, it's a hundred percent honest and true. Dylan wasn't trying to create a pop single, but more like...a personal ode to angst.Mercury does show great emotion in his voice during the songs "You're My Best Friend" ,"Love Of My Life" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". Dylan's voice shines through amazingly on each track. It's hard to deny Freddie Mercurys emotion on certain tracks though. So this one is a tie.

Brian May Vs Bob Dylan:
Brian May sings two songs on this lp. "'39" and "Good Company". May's voice is very light hearted and raw. "'39" is a song, which in my opinion, is a sad tale. This shows through Mays light, almost washed out vocals, which work great with the band backing him up. "Good Company" is your average run of the mill poppy vocal, it might be the weakest song on the near perfect album. Dylan's song "Tangled Up In Blue" and "If You See Her, Say Hello" are in the same vein as "'39". Dylan shows more sincerity and care though. It's almost heart breaking to listen to certain songs on "Blood On The Tracks". "'39" may give that effect, but not to the same extent, due to Brian May's vocals not being as sincere,toned and used as well as Bob Dylan's voice. Dylan wins this round

Roger Taylor vs Bob Dylan:
Roger Taylor sings only one song on this lp "I'm In Love With My Car". Prehaps one of the most unpleasent performances by Roger Taylor. It's flawed in every sence of the perfomances, it attempts to be a rock anthem and fails greatly, One could wish they used a different take, instead of the one they chose! Rogers voice is hoarse and breaks quite easily(although, thats what made QUEEN II so fun, h

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you really mean that... then, my friend, you're soooo fucked up.


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

If you really mean that... then, my friend, you're soooo fucked up.


?...listen. I know you are a huge fan of Queen. But.Ask any un-biased musical critic, what they think of Blood On The Tracks, compared to A Night At The Opera. You will most likely get the same answer and opinions as I stated. I recommend that you sit down and listen to it, before you claim that im fucked up for rating it better. That's just rude and un-wanted. I created this topic for a good debate, among people who have musical knowledge(Quite a few on this site). I'm sorry if you have a problem with this, and choose to act childish about it. No hard feelings though, I just wish you would have chose to been mature about it, and point out why "A Night At The Opera" may have been better. ciao

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fucking whole thread makes no sense, AT ALL!!

You can't compare a masterpiece with some crappy album... it's insane.


The only thing you show is that you don't know anything about music, and you listen to music with your ass.


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

The fucking whole thread makes no sense, AT ALL!!

You can't compare a masterpiece with some crappy album... it's insane.


The only thing you show is that you don't know anything about music, and you listen to music with your ass.


Umm...Blood On The Tracks isn't crap. That shows how immature and how much knowledge you lack. It's one of the best albums ever created. It's a shame A Night At The Opera isnt even in the top twenty. ANATO is far from a masterpeice, a near perfect album, yes. But it's too unbalanced. Queens masterpeice will always be "Queen II"(Perfect Balance, Great Vocals from everyone). And believe me, I know more about music then you, and by you being immature about this, it only further proves that you are the one who lacks in musical knowledge. I'm sorry that I actually posted a serious thread, im sorry it wasnt something stupid like "please stop bothering me" or "queenie above you". This is a fun forum yes, but its also a forum of discussion, intelligent discussions. I have never insulted you, so I don't exspect you to insult me. Prehaps its best if I just don't post on this site anymore. I hope this pleases you :) To the boss of this site, please delete this account. Thanks much. To all the people who participated in the discussion threads I have created before, thank you. To all the people who allowed me to grade their vinyls, thanks and know that I would be glad to do it again anytime. and of course to all my close friends, you know my email :p hehe. Once again. Sorry that this thread wasnt in your favour. Hope you learn how to keep your cool and be mature about opinions.

-SK

PS. It was all in good nature, I just feel as if my topics belong on this site. no hard feelings Matias.


M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know about music

you don't


that's the difference

I don't know more than you, cuz to know more than you... you should know something, and you don't

Be happy listening to Bob Shitlan, I'll be happy listening to real music, sung by real singers, played by real musicians.

Cheers


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is like comparing apples with bananas. Nice reviews anyway, but I certainly do NOT agree.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Drummer imense! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Drummer imense!
Bohemian: 267 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey,
that was a great musical reveiw of two good albums, i don't see why you are arguing. So what queen didn't win a vote made for fun. Once i worked this game out then i'll have a go :)


I'm not a river or a giant bird, that soars to the sea, an if i'm never tied to anything i'll never be free!
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey, glad to see people actually discussing :)!
@Rick, ah thanks for the compliment and :) cool, if you ever have the time to make some points to prove why ANATO is the superior ablum of 1975 please feel free to

@Drummer imense! Sounds good! Can't wait to read it :)

And yes, I've decided to stay, after a discussion with a very cool person(YV) :) As long as bad apples dont ruin these serious topics for the bunch I think their is a place for me here! cheers! happy discussing :)!

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You have to realize, SK, that when you are talking about _art_, everything is subjective. Of course, there are people who will try to put on airs and claim, "I know more about this art form than you do, and therefore my opinion is more relevant," but that's never anything more than elitist bullshit.

All that your thread proves is your personal reasoning behind favoring one album over the other. That is completely fine, and I respect that. However, when you criticize someone, claiming that you have a superior grasp of music, and that all those schooled with such knowledge (so-called "music critics" - EVERYONE WHO LISTENS TO MUSIC IS A MUSIC CRITIC) would agree with you - I just have to say, that's pretty damn low, man. I'm not supporting the other guy, because he was pretty tactless, too, but stop with the elitist bullshit.

Edit: On a serious note, to critique your critique, it's not a good idea to separate the vocals into three categories and weigh them all equally. Consider you weighed Roger Taylors vocals on one song on equal footing to all of Mercury's tracks. Also, by doing this, you made the category of vocals equal to all the other categories combined. That's a classic mistake when rubricating scores. Enjoyability is a fine category, as long as you acknowledge that this is a purely subjective category, and is entirely your opinion and your tastes.

As far as my opinion goes, I have to go with ANATO, simply because I enjoy it more. It's more listenable to me. The instrumentals and arrangements are light years ahead of anything Dylan has ever done. The vocals from Mercury are the most technically dazzling the world has ever seen. You could argue (it's debatable, depending on how you feel the music) that Dylan has more emotion, but Mercury has far more skill, range, and talent. It's for these reasons that I enjoy it more, and therefore there is no reason to compare "enjoyability." This is merely my opinion, however, and you all should listen to the albums to DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!!


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dylan sucks


:)
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 06, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

You have to realize, SK, that when you are talking about _art_, everything is subjective. Of course, there are people who will try to put on airs and claim, "I know more about this art form than you do, and therefore my opinion is more relevant," but that's never anything more than elitist bullshit.

All that your thread proves is your personal reasoning behind favoring one album over the other. That is completely fine, and I respect that. However, when you criticize someone, claiming that you have a superior grasp of music, and that all those schooled with such knowledge (so-called "music critics" - EVERYONE WHO LISTENS TO MUSIC IS A MUSIC CRITIC) would agree with you - I just have to say, that's pretty damn low, man. I'm not supporting the other guy, because he was pretty tactless, too, but stop with the elitist bullshit.

Edit: On a serious note, to critique your critique, it's not a good idea to separate the vocals into three categories and weigh them all equally. Consider you weighed Roger Taylors vocals on one song on equal footing to all of Mercury's tracks. Also, by doing this, you made the category of vocals equal to all the other categories combined. That's a classic mistake when rubricating scores. Enjoyability is a fine category, as long as you acknowledge that this is a purely subjective category, and is entirely your opinion and your tastes.

As far as my opinion goes, I have to go with ANATO, simply because I enjoy it more. It's more listenable to me. The instrumentals and arrangements are light years ahead of anything Dylan has ever done. The vocals from Mercury are the most technically dazzling the world has ever seen. You could argue (it's debatable, depending on how you feel the music) that Dylan has more emotion, but Mercury has far more skill, range, and talent. It's for these reasons that I enjoy it more, and therefore there is no reason to compare "enjoyability." This is merely my opinion, however, and you all should listen to the albums to DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!!


Ah yes, terribly sorry bout the "I have better musical taste" that was out of anger towards the person who started some trouble. I usually never claim anything like that. Yes, I realize my review was a little flawed in the scoring sense(the 3 vs 1 vocal thing, was to compare to the vaired emotions on Queen and Dylans parts etc). I enjoyed reading your opinion on ANATO vs BOTT. This is exactly the type of discussion I desired. As for Blood On The Tracks being a personal favourite of mine, that much is true. I did try to stay un-biased though, although like you said "Enjoyability" is nothing but preference, that's why it was there, for fun you know?. Ahh..lets see. Yes, I agree. Everyone should listen to these two classic albums and write their feelings towards both. This was ment for serious discussion, on a light level friends. It's so useless to say "Dylan sucks" and stuff(see post above mine). I only hope we can all continue to discuss this, and improve on the formula. Cheers. Once again thank you for the opinion and concerns Music Man.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

You have to realize, SK, that when you are talking about _art_, everything is subjective. Of course, there are people who will try to put on airs and claim, "I know more about this art form than you do, and therefore my opinion is more relevant," but that's never anything more than elitist bullshit.

All that your thread proves is your personal reasoning behind favoring one album over the other. That is completely fine, and I respect that. However, when you criticize someone, claiming that you have a superior grasp of music, and that all those schooled with such knowledge (so-called "music critics" - EVERYONE WHO LISTENS TO MUSIC IS A MUSIC CRITIC) would agree with you - I just have to say, that's pretty damn low, man. I'm not supporting the other guy, because he was pretty tactless, too, but stop with the elitist bullshit.

Edit: On a serious note, to critique your critique, it's not a good idea to separate the vocals into three categories and weigh them all equally. Consider you weighed Roger Taylors vocals on one song on equal footing to all of Mercury's tracks. Also, by doing this, you made the category of vocals equal to all the other categories combined. That's a classic mistake when rubricating scores. Enjoyability is a fine category, as long as you acknowledge that this is a purely subjective category, and is entirely your opinion and your tastes.

As far as my opinion goes, I have to go with ANATO, simply because I enjoy it more. It's more listenable to me. The instrumentals and arrangements are light years ahead of anything Dylan has ever done. The vocals from Mercury are the most technically dazzling the world has ever seen. You could argue (it's debatable, depending on how you feel the music) that Dylan has more emotion, but Mercury has far more skill, range, and talent. It's for these reasons that I enjoy it more, and therefore there is no reason to compare "enjoyability." This is merely my opinion, however, and you all should listen to the albums to DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!!


Ah yes, terribly sorry bout the "I have better musical taste" that was out of anger towards the person who started some trouble. I usually never claim anything like that. Yes, I realize my review was a little flawed in the scoring sense(the 3 vs 1 vocal thing, was to compare to the vaired emotions on Queen and Dylans parts etc). I enjoyed reading your opinion on ANATO vs BOTT. This is exactly the type of discussion I desired. As for Blood On The Tracks being a personal favourite of mine, that much is true. I did try to stay un-biased though, although like you said "Enjoyability" is nothing but preference, that's why it was there, for fun you know?. Ahh..lets see. Yes, I agree. Everyone should listen to these two classic albums and write their feelings towards both. This was ment for serious discussion, on a light level friends. It's so useless to say "Dylan sucks" and stuff(see post above mine). I only hope we can all continue to discuss this, and improve on the formula. Cheers. Once again thank you for the opinion and concerns Music Man.


Points VERY well taken. I appreciate this post and have come to a better understanding of what you have said. And, although it wasn't obvious, I understand the anger thing against Matias (trust me, it's VERY easy with him, haha). I, personally, get a little bothered by elitism in the arts (which I hold are, by definition, purely subjective), but I understand where you're coming from now. Of course, I admit I am still very willing to get into one of those silly "my band is better than your band" debates!

Of course, when judging music, it's impossible to be unbiased! That's why I love music, there's something for everyone, and everything is for someone. When you find your niche, there's no bette


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 06, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

SK wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

You have to realize, SK, that when you are talking about _art_, everything is subjective. Of course, there are people who will try to put on airs and claim, "I know more about this art form than you do, and therefore my opinion is more relevant," but that's never anything more than elitist bullshit.

All that your thread proves is your personal reasoning behind favoring one album over the other. That is completely fine, and I respect that. However, when you criticize someone, claiming that you have a superior grasp of music, and that all those schooled with such knowledge (so-called "music critics" - EVERYONE WHO LISTENS TO MUSIC IS A MUSIC CRITIC) would agree with you - I just have to say, that's pretty damn low, man. I'm not supporting the other guy, because he was pretty tactless, too, but stop with the elitist bullshit.

Edit: On a serious note, to critique your critique, it's not a good idea to separate the vocals into three categories and weigh them all equally. Consider you weighed Roger Taylors vocals on one song on equal footing to all of Mercury's tracks. Also, by doing this, you made the category of vocals equal to all the other categories combined. That's a classic mistake when rubricating scores. Enjoyability is a fine category, as long as you acknowledge that this is a purely subjective category, and is entirely your opinion and your tastes.

As far as my opinion goes, I have to go with ANATO, simply because I enjoy it more. It's more listenable to me. The instrumentals and arrangements are light years ahead of anything Dylan has ever done. The vocals from Mercury are the most technically dazzling the world has ever seen. You could argue (it's debatable, depending on how you feel the music) that Dylan has more emotion, but Mercury has far more skill, range, and talent. It's for these reasons that I enjoy it more, and therefore there is no reason to compare "enjoyability." This is merely my opinion, however, and you all should listen to the albums to DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!!!


Ah yes, terribly sorry bout the "I have better musical taste" that was out of anger towards the person who started some trouble. I usually never claim anything like that. Yes, I realize my review was a little flawed in the scoring sense(the 3 vs 1 vocal thing, was to compare to the vaired emotions on Queen and Dylans parts etc). I enjoyed reading your opinion on ANATO vs BOTT. This is exactly the type of discussion I desired. As for Blood On The Tracks being a personal favourite of mine, that much is true. I did try to stay un-biased though, although like you said "Enjoyability" is nothing but preference, that's why it was there, for fun you know?. Ahh..lets see. Yes, I agree. Everyone should listen to these two classic albums and write their feelings towards both. This was ment for serious discussion, on a light level friends. It's so useless to say "Dylan sucks" and stuff(see post above mine). I only hope we can all continue to discuss this, and improve on the formula. Cheers. Once again thank you for the opinion and concerns Music Man.


Points VERY well taken. I appreciate this post and have come to a better understanding of what you have said. And, although it wasn't obvious, I understand the anger thing against Matias (trust me, it's VERY easy with him, haha). I, personally, get a little bothered by elitism in the arts (which I hold are, by definition, purely subjective), but I understand where you're coming from now. Of course, I admit I am still very willing to get into one of those silly "my band is better than your band" debates!

Of course, when judging music, it's impossible to be unbiased! That's why I love music, there's something for ev

Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dylan is almost a God, a great poet, imho the greatest songwriter from the past century

sorry Queen fans, you can't change that


Loser in the end!!!
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oszmercury wrote:

Dylan is almost a God, a great poet, imho the greatest songwriter from the past century

sorry Queen fans, you can't change that


Awesome to see another Dylan fan here. Yes I agree whole-heartidly. :D



willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oszmercury wrote:

Dylan is almost a God, a great poet, imho the greatest songwriter from the past century

sorry Queen fans, you can't change that


To me music is about music. If I want to enjoy some good poetry, I'll buy the book. Therefore, I've never been able to enjoy Dylan. And yes, I've tried.
So, for me, it's an easy one. Take away the lyrics from Dylans work, and you don't have that much left.
Do the same for Queen, and you still get some excellent music to enjoy (in my opinion). So, no need to discuss both albums in detail here.

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

Oszmercury wrote:

Dylan is almost a God, a great poet, imho the greatest songwriter from the past century

sorry Queen fans, you can't change that


To me music is about music. If I want to enjoy some good poetry, I'll buy the book. Therefore, I've never been able to enjoy Dylan. And yes, I've tried.
So, for me, it's an easy one. Take away the lyrics from Dylans work, and you don't have that much left.
Do the same for Queen, and you still get some excellent music to enjoy (in my opinion). So, no need to discuss both albums in detail here.

that's right ;)


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, i'll do it



Loser in the end!!!
SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

Oszmercury wrote:

Dylan is almost a God, a great poet, imho the greatest songwriter from the past century

sorry Queen fans, you can't change that


To me music is about music. If I want to enjoy some good poetry, I'll buy the book. Therefore, I've never been able to enjoy Dylan. And yes, I've tried.
So, for me, it's an easy one. Take away the lyrics from Dylans work, and you don't have that much left.
Do the same for Queen, and you still get some excellent music to enjoy (in my opinion). So, no need to discuss both albums in detail here.


That's a interesting theory, Although In my opinion Dylan has some great music as well. Blood On The Tracks music is constructed so well..I could honestly listen to a whole instrumental of it..I can't say the same for ANATO, Listening to a Instrumental of "I'm In Love With My Car" or "Good Company" no thank you :)