Forums > Fan mixes > better use for love is the hero

forum rss feed
Author

roy_fokker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never really liked the "Billy Squier" part of "Love is the Hero", and love Freddie's intro, though...

... so this is my attempt to make it work a little better with a better song...

http://rapidshare.de/files/29581208/I_can_t_live_with_you_-_roy_retake.mp3

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tidy.

Nice :P

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 06, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice idea there. Works quite well!

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 06, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At only 64kbps bitrate, the sound quality is quite poor. Best to save your mixes at at least 192kbps, or preferably higher, to preserve listenable quality. I usually save mine at 256kpbs, which is a nice balance between preserving quality and limiting file size to an acceptable level.

OK, onto the mix itself - I suppose it's OK as a concept, but simply cross-fading from one song to another is a bit abrupt, in my opinion, and doesn't really sound right at that transition point. That said, I haven't really any suggestions as to how it could be done better, but I do absolutely love Freddie's intro to Love Is The Hero!

Sorry I can't be more complimentary, especially after the nice things you say about my own mixes, but I feel I have to be honest, and I hope my comments about the sound quality help in some way.

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 06, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are a number of different versions/mixes of this track, each featuring different amounts of Freddie in the mix.

Love Is The Hero

LP Version - Capitol CDP 7 46317 2
US 12" 5:22 Extended Promo - Capitol SPRO 9779
UK 7" 4:03 Version - Capitol 5619
US CD Anthology 12" Remix - Reach For The Sky: Chronicles 314 529 296-2

I dare say if someone had access to all four versions, they could create the ultimate - or at least a more - 'Freddie-biased' variation. Unfortunately, although I have the material, I certainly lack the talent.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 06, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

..... and this is why we have a fan mixes forum, JSS. :P I'm sure you could find some bugger to do it for you!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 19 Aug 06, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

- the idea of combining the different versions of the song sounds nice, JSS!

- Lord F., the really important thing in a fair exchange of opinions is to know that both critics and compliments are sincere. Then, of course, it's up to people to select what - both in critics and compliments - may be really grounded or useful. So, no need to write compliments if they're not in your feelings.

This said, thanks for the advice about the bitrate: I willingly chose a poor quality to allow faster downloads.

Secondly, the idea of the fadeout-fadein is surely quite simple, but 'twas the only way to 'match' Freddie's vocals between "heee-ro" and "my life"...
I keep thinking the timing and the final effect were right :-P

Posted: 19 Aug 06, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roy_fokker wrote:

This said, thanks for the advice about the bitrate: I willingly chose a poor quality to allow faster downloads.

A low bitrate is OK if you're just uploading a work in progress, or some sort of experiment, but if you are offering a finished mix, I think you will find that most people would prefer a larger download, for better quality.

roy_fokker wrote:

Secondly, the idea of the fadeout-fadein is surely quite simple, but 'twas the only way to 'match' Freddie's vocals between "heee-ro" and "my life"...
I keep thinking the timing and the final effect were right :-P

OK, point taken, but there's a difference between a proper cross fade, and a fade out / fade in. The fade out / fade in approach is I think what you used, and this is where you get a 'dip' in volume right at the edit point. A cross fade is where you fade the out / in simultaneously, and therefore create a smoother transition. Do you see what I mean? I don't know if you have the software to facilitate this, and it does take some practice, but worth it for better results. :)

Posted: 20 Aug 06, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a crossfade, as a matter of fact... I'm not a native english-speaker! I wrote fade-in fade out to mean a crossfade. If you listen to it carefully, you'll hear that there's a moment in which the two sources are merged.
Perhaps I'd better make it more evident? (Really, I mean, do you think it was a little too rought, the passage between track 1 and track 2?)

Posted: 20 Aug 06, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's probably just the points where you started and ended the cross fade are quite far apart, so you get a longer transition, if you see what I mean. I have been trying to download this, to show you how I might have attempted it, but I keep seeming to find more of a rock version, without the Freddie intro. Where did your version come from?

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 20 Aug 06, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fickle, the Freddie intro version comes from the big Freddie box set.. it's the 12" version. There's also a re-made 12" version on Billy's "Reach For The Sky" anthology because apparently at that time the master was lost or something. I haven't heard that version.

Posted: 21 Aug 06, 04:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, right. Haven't got the Freddie box set. As a collector, I feel I should have it, but can never justify spending that sort of money on material I have never really liked. I never really got along with Freddie's solo stuff.