Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie's Race

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 06, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you consider Freddie to have been white or Asian?
I think that Freddie thought of himself as "white." Am I right in saying that?

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 00:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who cares...

but for the official record he was parsee, no clue what he considered himself.

I dont consider him anything, I cosider him a human being.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was Persian-Indian, which is a type of asian, right?


Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its Parsi

in more detail:

over a millenium back.

Iran was Persia and it was invaded by Moghuls/Mongols and was succesfully conquered.

The Persians were slaughtering and commited atrocities against.

They fled for Gujarat, India.

They immigrated there well and the persains were called 'Parsis' (Lingo maybe)

Freddie's family originated in the town of Bulsara in Gujarat (hence his last name)

Parsis in General can be stated as Indians (because of their settlement of over a millenium)

Also it can be noted Freddie lived wealthily in India/Zanzibar because Parsis were in good terms with the British during their reign in India.







Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The time that there were races amoung humans is 10.000 years ago.

We are all one and the same race called Homo Sapiens


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:


We are all one and the same race called Homo Sapiens


Except for probably aufdeutsch...

He's defnintely not human...

Burning Horizon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

friggin nazi! lol

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

The time that there were races amoung humans is 10.000 years ago.

We are all one and the same race called Homo Sapiens


You, maybe, but don't friggin' call *me* a HOMO, OK?!?


Flick of the wrist
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere Freddie is considered the first Indian rock ledgend, but thats someone elses opionion, not Freddies.


"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's the term "Indo-European", which implicates that Indian and European people are of a similar geneologic "race". Indian and also Persian people – to say it in a simplified form – belong to the European scheme more than to the East Asian.

But as somebody has said before, since a few thousand years (at least a few hundred, since travelling got global) there are no real differences anymore. Everything was mixed, fortunately.

And after all, who cares?


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Parsee is what the birth certificate says, but I've read somewhere that Freddie has claimed to be Persian. Probably because it sounded more glamourous than Parsee or Indian.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="33CC00">macbethscrazywife wrote:

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Parsee is what the birth certificate says, but I've read somewhere that Freddie has claimed to be Persian. Probably because it sounded more glamourous than Parsee or Indian.

parsee <i>is</i> a type of persian. he wasn't ethnically indian at all.


Whatever you say.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zaiga wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

The time that there were races amoung humans is 10.000 years ago.

We are all one and the same race called Homo Sapiens


You, maybe, but don't friggin' call *me* a HOMO, OK?!?


Dude, you need to actually LEARN some shit here.. ok.. you ARE a HOMO.. as in HOMO SAPIEN..(of course I would make an exception to you because you are a FUC*Ing retard) which is MUCH different than HOMO SEXUAL.. which is what you THINK HOMO refers to.. because people are too freakin lazy to actually say it in its ENTIRE context.. so... There..

and for the record, I AM being serious here because I am SICK TO FREAKIN DEATH of people relating HOMO to just meaning gay.. I hear it ALL The time


My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)



I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thought he was "genious" "generous" "creative" but that's not a race huh? I think of these qualities higher than just racist-kind definitions as to what some person is made off....i think that history has proven that we are all the same...bottomline. We all need to breathe, drink and eat(and as a result of that need to piss and shit too haha)we all want love, raise, protect and educate our children, and have a "nice" life. We all want to be happy, healthy and have some cash. If you stick a knife into any kind of operson, we all hurt and bleed. So there is absolutely no use in asking or knowing what Freddie WAS...i know he IS sadly missed....still.....


lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's race is: GENIUS!

We have a few of those people who fit that race. Freddie is definately one of them.



Armando Alejandro Estrada user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

There's the term Indo-European", which implicates that Indian and European people are of a similar geneologic "race". Indian and also Persian people – to say it in a simplified form – belong to the European scheme more than to the East Asian.

But as somebody has said before, since a few thousand years (at least a few hundred, since travelling got global) there are no real differences anymore. Everything was mixed, fortunately.

And after all, who cares?


In fact, in a way Parsis can be can be considered to be more of the real Iranian because they have kept the religion (they left mainly because of the persecutions from the Muslims a fact that should be highlighted like the Cruisades), the ways of living and have not mixed with Indians. But while they descend from the Persians and are proud of their Persian heritage, they lost the language and they in no way feel Iranian. They are Indians. This kind of thread can be very slippy nowadays, but yes some Indians (mostly in the north) and some Iranians are as Indo-Europeans as the Germans or the Italians let's say. That's why we can't say the Iranians are Arabs (some of them are cos' of mixing) because arabs are Semitic and Iranians are Indo-Europeans.

But it's a very interesting subject and I'm sure Freddie was a proud Indian Parsi and British man. I think that the Freddie of the 70s by his lyrics and his looks reflects more the Parsi part than the British macho from the 80s.

I'm glad someone brought this up, because I was thinking about starting a similar thread. The Indo-European thing intrigues me without the racist connotation. It's wonderful to know the origins and the mixing of the human being...

Here are some valuable links:

Parsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsi

(They talk of Freddie and look the similarities between Freddie and the people on the potographs)

Indo-Europeans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages

If you have a lot of interest:

Proto-Indo-Europeans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Europeans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language

It's because of the Persian heritage that Freddie looked European even though he was from India. He shared the same genes as a British, an Italian, a Spanish, etc. Awckward also that Freddie sang a song on Jesus while he was a follower of Zoroastrianism...

Somebody knows if Freddie spoke the Gujarati language?


sara310 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iranian/Persian people have watering cans near their toilet and they call it an 'aftabeh"




:)
Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Parsee is what the birth certificate says, but I've read somewhere that Freddie has claimed to be Persian. Probably because it sounded more glamourous than Parsee or Indian.


SAY WHAT?

I am an Indian and its really glam!


Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie I believe could speak some rough Gujarati...

Here in Bombay parsis dont speak in any Iranian language but a very funny accented Gujarati or Hindi.

With their common 'dikra' - child.

Freddie originated from the hometown of Bulsara from Gujarat so his family probably spoke a decent amount of Gujarati.

Parsis are Indians in general and I have to disagree with what someone said that the culture isn't mixed...

Other than the Irani restaurants its hard to note if a person is Parsi or not (unless the wear the cap). the common last names are like Battliwaala (Seller of bottles) Daruwalla (Seller of alcohol).

Least in Bombay the culture has mixed considerably.


Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
Rogers Eye Bags user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zaiga wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

The time that there were races amoung humans is 10.000 years ago.

We are all one and the same race called Homo Sapiens


You, maybe, but don't friggin' call *me* a HOMO, OK?!?


You ARE joking right? God, I hope so.