Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How did you discover the band queen?

forum rss feed
Author

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To cut my LONG story on how I discovered Queen... I saw them on VH1 one day, Bohemian Rhapsody was the video and I was blown away. Then after the adverts came a 2 hour documentry on Queen. And till this day, I will always say that this documentry has been the best I've seen so far. I've seen quite alot of documentrys in my time of being a Queen fan but this one topped it all.

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 20:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was looking at my brother's CD collection and I found the Greatest Hits CD and I borrowed it without asking and never gave it back. I remember thinking, "Wow! This band's really good. I love the singer and the piano player." Then I saw a picture of Queen in the 70's and I thought Brian was Freddie and I was like, "oooohh, he's cute." Then I found out that the singer, piano player, and the cutie from the picture were all Freddie. That's when my obsession started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By my parents, who are DIE-HARD fans! xD xD xD *sarcasm* YEAH F-ING RIGHT! I discovered it all by my lonesome, 'bout *ponders* 5 years ago..(?) one day on Itunes... :( I listened to WATC, which I knew from the radio, then I started buying CDS. One by one, in order, till I had every single one. I couldn't stop myself from spending money on Queen. I didn't sleep and eat....I was a wreck. My parents hated my obsession, so they took my CD's and memorabilia away. I was sobbing and crying and throwing a fit. Then, one day, I decided to run away....and burn down the house...muahahahaha...*ehem* KIDDING. My collection grew, and I started buying rare stuff. That is my story. THE END. LOL! I was kidding about the 1st part btw...

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't discovered them,when I was born they were already discovered.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
hotspacerules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 06, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1978 - 7 years old - my brother's "News of the world" LP - he put it aside for his Kiss albums, but I was enthralled by the kelly frears comic book artwork on the cover; i listened to the first song, and was hooked (i was young, didnt even know that wwry was a hit)

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dad used to sing Queen songs to me when I was a baby :) Then I *borrowed* his Queen CD's as soon as I figured out how to use a cd player.

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard I want it all on the radio when it came out as a single, and decided to get "The Miracle". Then straight into Queen I (since that was the cheapest Queen CD in the store)

Jerjo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeez, I am way too old. In college, a guy down the hall kept playing the "Killer Queen" single over and over and over again. It infected my brain, I ended buying the "Sheer Heart Attack" album, thinking it would be just some decent pop. As soon as I heard those opening chords to "Brighton Rock" I knew I had found a new favorite band.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coming home from Flamingo Land listening to Headlong in 1999.

Chris L &#9827 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Way, way, way back in high school (lets say early 80's). During lunch hour, our school's radio station would play music. I remember the first time I heard WWRY. Everyone was pounding the tables to the beat. I remember thinking, who is this group. I've been a fan ever since.

"I WANT TO BREAK FREE"
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mrs.Freddie Mercury wrote:

I discovered Queen while walking the track at a relay for life cancer research walk. I heard the song 'Another One Bites the Dust' and asked my friend, who was walking the track with me, what the song was called. I looked it up on itunes and I've been a fan ever since. That happened last year. Before I discoverd Queen my life lacked the gift of music. If you knew me you would think I've been obsessed for years!

Without sarcasm, I want to say that that is a great story, that there are still people who become Queen fans after listening to a song that came out more than 25 years ago. It says something about the power and timelessness of Queen's music!

Flick of the wrist
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was born in 1978 and I'm a Queen fan for as long as I can remember. I think I became a fan when I heard Bohemian Rhapsody on my brother's tape when I was 5 or 6 years old. I played it over and over again. I was enthralled by the choir in the beginning, the beautiful melodies in the piano part, the weicked opera part and then the heavy metal part. It was just something that clicked in my young brain there and then.

At that same time Queen performed at Live Aid, which I vaguely remember watching (I was 5 years!) and A Kind Of Magic was released around that time as well. I also remember watching Queen live footage, including a scene where Freddie falls backwards with two "fat bottomed girls" in his arms. Anyone know where that is from? Again, the pomp and theatrics of Queen made a huge impression on me.

I conciously became a fan when I heard "Breakthru" on the radio. I also loved the other Miracle singles, and I remember watching "The Miracle" video, wishing I was that kid miming Freddie. By that time I also had Greatest Hits on tape, and played it over and over again. By then there was no turning back, I was a Queen fan!

Flick of the wrist
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#FF00FF">its_a_hard_life wrote:

To cut my LONG story on how I discovered Queen... I saw them on VH1 one day, Bohemian Rhapsody was the video and I was blown away. Then after the adverts came a 2 hour documentry on Queen. And till this day, I will always say that this documentry has been the best I've seen so far. I've seen quite alot of documentrys in my time of being a Queen fan but this one topped it all.

Do you remember the name of the documentary? And whether it has ever been released on VHS or DVD?

We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
escuderodelareina user not visiting Queenzone.com
escuderodelareina
Bohemian: 231 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i saw the scandal video, in 1989 in the tv.in that time i was 9 years old.17 years after, still i´m a big fan.

the logical one is good to think, but it does not to live
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen? WTF?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

blues breaker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1979 I WAS A BIG ELVIS FAN. I WAS 13 YEARS OLD HEARD CRAZY LITTLE THING WENT AND GOT THE SINGLE, PLAYED THE B SIDE[GOOD OLD DAYS OF VYNLE] "ROCK YOU" LIVE, BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE

Grapes user not visiting Queenzone.com
Grapes
Bohemian: 239 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was bored so I watched waynes world and I thought 'Whats this crap?' then my brother gave me the Greatest Hits CD's and I turned obsessed over night.

Not the brightest crayon in the box...
QueenNewcastle user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenNewcastle
Bohemian: 255 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my dad played them all the time when i was gowning up, and then i went off them when i was a teenager, then when i went to college, me mate started to play "Breakthru" in his car, and i hadnt heard it for years, so i downloaded it when i got in that night, then i download another one, then another one......

"It's Real Honor To Be Here Tonight"

Brian May

Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Tuesday 4th November 2008
val 29467 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my twin has been listening Queen for ages, but I only really discoverd them when I saw Bohe Rhap in my music book, about a year ago. I listend to Queen a bit then, but when we came back from our holiday last october, i borrowed his greatest hits cd and kept playing GOFLB. As soon as we came home I bought an Mp3 player and put alot of Queen on it. I'm fan ever since

but you don't give me comfort and a man's gotta get it somewhere -brian may

i'll give you comfort brian XD
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Once, my dad went to Rio for work. He brought back 2 CDs. One was ANATO, the other was something by Sugar Ray. I started listening to Sugar Ray, and kinda ignored Queen. So later I heard the opera part of Bo Rhap, and thought, "Okay, that's weird.."

But later, I kept listening more to it, and I became the fanatic I am today. And I'm glad to say that Sugar Ray was forgotten. :P

-Things Have Changed For Me-