Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen on Film - WHAT IS ACTUALLY (REALLY) OUT THERE?

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Due to the BBC's policy of wiping master tapes, as we've all heard about and found incredulous, we are looking for a much better copy of the TOTP Seven Seas Of Rhye footage than the one we have in our vault.

I've seen a pretty good version on Youtube.com, which seems great, but I cannot get at the source. That's the usual thing i run into.

Often when I approach people for such things, they are suspicious that QPL are going to hit them with some legal headache, but that is not the idea at all. We simply want to gather all the great rarities we can, and are not interested in going after people in a secret way in order to throw law suits at them. If we did that NO ONE would ever speak with us again thereafter.

So...if you know of any good Queen or related rarities on film/video, let me know a source and I will chase it. NOT rumours, NOT speculation or Might Be's. Just point me at definite leads that you know of (there won't be many I'm sure) and I will certainly look into it.

The quality we have of things like SSOR (TOTP) is not what we would like, or ever would, to present to fans on products - we want to get the best posssible quality that's available out there for our next or future possible DVD releases. It is that simple.

Just post the details here. But, as I say, only good ireliable info please. Not questions or speculation - or new threads going off at unrelated tangents. Lets keep this neat and concise and informative please. We already have TONS of questions and MILLIONS of speculative rumours and hearsay.

Thanks

GB
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh! If you want the one on youtube! I know how to get it! There's this thing, if you're usuing mozzilla firefox that you can download videos off pages without links and stuff, such as youtube, its a download that you have to get seperatly from the mozilla website, and you have to have a certain player that I know you can download, just let me find the links

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, if you dont have Firefox on your server (it's a web browser, than you can download it here:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Ok, this is the site you use to download the extension that will allow you do download the videos off youtube, and you need a player to open them, or you can just convert them to a format of a player you have on your computer, im sorry but I cant remember what format they get downloaded in

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

EDIT: It's an FLV file that they get downloaded in.

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I appreciate your reply, but I don't want to download it, I actually want to get at the original source. It's prabably an old reel to reel thing. That's the kind of thing we need. If we got hold of that original analogue tape, or celuloid film, of anything, not just SSOR, we could probably restore it a good deal.

Downloads are no good. We need the original BEST source.

Thanks though.

GB

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Eh, no problemo. I didnt expect it to help very much, haha. Good luck.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, Greg. Long time no see. Please contact me privately.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you tried posting a request in the "comments" section of these Queen YouTube links?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg - are you seeking info on professionally/officially recorded stuff only, or also for for instance audience-recorded shows?

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good to see you have a 'nice' side Greg.

I am sure your comments will be greeted with positivity.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See, Greg? Some QZers may get wound up pretty easily if you scream and shout, but most of the time they're very nice people who have no problem helping others out.

...unless, of course, that person asks if Freddie and Roger really DID kiss...

Anyway, I'm sure if you try to contact the person on Youtube - just click on the user's name and there might be an email address or something - and explain yourself, the user might be willing to help out or point you in a helpful direction.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 06, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg,

Have you seen the other topic about Hamburg 1974?

Lynyrd Skynyrd played as a support act to Queen that day in Hamburg, and some user posted a fragment of Lynyrd footage where you can see Roger's drumkit and the Queen crest on monitors on stage.

Maybe it's worth trying to find where that came from. The quality of the Lynyrd Skynyrd footage is awesome, and it's pro shot. It would be strange if some (local) tv crew only filmed the support act and not the headlining band. Right?

So there's prove that there was tv recording equipment that night. and there's prove that there have been recordings made.. But.. are there Queen recordings?

I hope this helps you a bit..

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Hi Greg,

Have you seen the other topic about Hamburg 1974?

Lynyrd Skynyrd played as a support act to Queen that day in Hamburg, and some user posted a fragment of Lynyrd footage where you can see Roger's drumkit and the Queen crest on monitors on stage.

Maybe it's worth trying to find where that came from. The quality of the Lynyrd Skynyrd footage is awesome, and it's pro shot. It would be strange if some (local) tv crew only filmed the support act and not the headlining band. Right?

So there's prove that there was tv recording equipment that night. and there's prove that there have been recordings made.. But.. are there Queen recordings?

I hope this helps you a bit..

According to WDR themselves they have NO Queen-footage in the archives whatsoever...

Tim June user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hamburg is north Germany.

The local TV station there is the NDR (Norddeutscher Rundfunk). I think they have their own archive.

Maybe that helps.

life could be magic if we break free
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think almost any television company (big and small) have their own archive. So there's really no telling what's out there exactly.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tim June wrote:

The local TV station there is the NDR (Norddeutscher Rundfunk). I think they have their own archive.

Maybe that helps.

Yes, but the recording was made for Rockpalast, which is a WDR programme. Thus, if anyone has the tapes, it's WDR.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

Tim June wrote:

Maybe that helps.

Yes, but the recording was made for Rockpalast, which is a WDR programme. Thus, if anyone has the tapes, it's WDR.

...and they don't.

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

God I wish I had a decent copy of SSOR then I would 'hold it to ransom/Negotiate a deal' for QPL.

Not for any huge amounts of money, all I would ask is that they release all the 'usual concerts' on DVD, that's all. Not asking for much is it?

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I don't have any decent copy of SSOR but I do have a question:

Queen (Productions) always ask, always get but never give. Fans always offer help but I don't remember anybody getting a single penny or a damn backstage pass.

So what can you offer in exchange for such rare recordings? I'm sure there's some sort of a budget for this sort of things. Money? Recordings?

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A fair question deserves a fair answer... (You are really brave, Martin!)

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair Martin, I was paid by Queen Productions for the inclusion of 'Ibex' on the FM Box set, but my master tape was not returned (stolen at source was the official response), and I was never compensated in any way for the loss. (Not even with a free CD!).

An apology (or even an acknowledgement from someone higher tha GB) may have helped - but the offer was never made.

I know that quite a large number believe 'Hangman' is bullshit - but it is my 'pension fund', and everyone knows where it is - and that is the real surprise - I flash my wares like a baboon in heat, and not once has anyone other than GB even considered to make the call.

Quite strange indeed.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."