Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's piano playing in later years

forum rss feed
Author

mhoman00 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't know if this subject has come up before, and I know Freddie is credited with keyboards on The Miracle, Innuendo and The Miracle; but is he really playing them? It doesn't seem like his style...and sounds more like synths instead of actual piano. Anyone know? Thanks.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Piano (in the sense of acoustic grand, electric or digital) was each time less used and mostly it was used as overdub or for sound reinforcement (e.g. 'The Miracle' song, 'Delilah').

Of course Freddie still was the main keyboardist, but his compositions weren't piano-based anymore. What a pity.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Freddie did keyboards for The Show Must Go On and The Miracle? How about Its A Beautiful Day?? Doubtful right?

Sebastian

Posted: 03 Sep 06, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Show - No. It was Brian (using a DX-7).

Beautiful Day - Just the piano is Freddie (recorded in 1980); synths/samplers are most likely programmed by the other three plus David Richards. The oboe part was John's idea.

The Miracle - Freddie indeed.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
redspecial85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think "The Show Must Go On," is Brian's playing...

"Oh oh people of the earth

Listen to the warning the seer he said

For those who hear and mark my words

Listen to the good plan." -Brian May

(The Prophet's Song)

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK...so what off of Innuendo/Made In Heaven is Freddie's piano playing?

roy_fokker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surely during the '80s keyboards progressively took the place of piano in Freddies composing framework, according also to the new 'fashion' of '80s music.
The only real exception would be the Barcelona album, which was clearly conceived around a piano. (Songs like Guide me Home or How can I go on could have been some of Freddie's best traditional ballads on a Queen album).

Some of MIH's tracks were taken from old recordings or also solo recordings (Made in Heaven and Born to Love you from Mr. Bad Guy, so here it was Freddie playing the piano). I'm quite sure that it isn't Freddie playing the few chords of Heaven for everyone.. while I keep asking myself what about 'let me live'. The beginning is quite in Freddie's style... but what about the whole song?
:-)

Other interesting question would be... how many song did actually Freddie write himself for The Miracle and Innuendo..?

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guide Me Home and the others in the Barcelona album have piano by Mike Moran, not Freddie.

Let Me Live is completely Freddie's style.

Songs Freddie wrote or co-wrote in Miracle or Innuendo: All of them!, except for Scandal, I Want It All, Invisible Man, Headlong, I Can't Live With You, Days Of Our Lives, Ride The Wild Wind and Show Must Go On. All the post-Innuendo tracks are written or co-written by Mercury too.

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd definately say Let me live was freddie - his style completely.

His style on the pianso was basic compared to preffessional pianists - but he was unique - like he'd throw in a weird note and change the key so that more than made up for the simplicity of his piano playing compared to say someone like mike moran!

That's why i love playing his music - it's easy relatively speaking but has such an impact, cos it's so dramatic.

The guy that invented keyboards shud be shot - piano rules and pity freddie didn't play more in the later days - i mean on innuendo the only piano played by freddie is basically one or two notes on track 9.

kinda sad really

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the piano in "let me live" (at least the end part) was played by Roger

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's ability on the piano was minimal. The ending of Let Me Live is all Freddie, using the same patterns as Flick Of The Wrist intro.

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 06, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian,where you the creator/owner of the "Bechstein Debauchery" with detailed info about intruments Queen used in studio? that was a great site, to bad it's down...

shanemcd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 06, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The advent of keyboards in the 80s as the main source of work in later albums, reduced Freddies playing. Thats why I like the Barcelona album so much - its back to Freddie playing again.

http://queen.shanemcdonald.org/ (Shanes Queen Site)

Follow me on Twitter

Twitter.com/smcdonalddotorg

Follow me on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ShaneMcDonaldorg/118978468128623
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 06, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard that the ending of Let Me Live was taken off from another song which was recorded around the same time

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 06, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the Classic Albums series, Roger was talking about Freddie's skill as a musician, which he felt was always overlooked because of his vocal and showman skills. He said Freddie was a wonderful musician, but in the 80s, he doubted his ability as a pianist and played less and less.

You know, good times are now.
Sebastian

Posted: 05 Sep 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> The advent of keyboards in the 80s as the main source of work in later albums, reduced Freddies playing.

He didn't reduce his playing on synths, but he did on piano. If they hadn't had Spike and the others, probably Fred would have spent half of the concerts playing synth in a similar way that he spent half of Jazz tour gigs playing piano.

> Thats why I like the Barcelona album so much - its back to Freddie playing again.

Freddie doesn't play there, it's Mike Moran :)

> I heard that the ending of Let Me Live was taken off from another song which was recorded around the same time

Very interesting point. Do you know anything else about it?

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 06, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a shame Freddie played the piano less and less on the stage. I tink DOTL would have been marvellous at Wembley as would have been DSMN.

hj