Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Knebworth Footage (question for queen archivist)

forum rss feed
Author

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Sep 06, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has recently said that no footage of Knebworth exists as the stuff fed to the screen was not recorded (contradicting something he said a while ago), however after spending the last hour or so comparing videos I am certain this is untrue.
'On My Way Up' has mentioned this before but I have only just had a look for myself.
On the Freddie Tribute video (tape 1) there is LOADS of footage fron Knebworth with Freddie in his all white jacket, and it IS from Knebworth as its exactly what is on the big screen on the bootleg video.
To give you two good examples there is the army salute thing which he does at the end of Bo-Rap (think this is also on TSMGO video).
Also if you watch the Tribute vid there is a montage of clips with IWIA playing over the top (think its between Extream an Def Leppard). On this you see Freddie in his white jacket on the stairs at the right of the stage doing this air guitar thing, watch the bootleg vid and you will see this exact shot immediately after the guitar solo in HTF when it cuts from Brian to Freddie.
And there is lots more, have a look for yourself.

So my question to Greg is, if the big screen footage was not recorded where did the footage mentioned above come from ?

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
newcastle 86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 06, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mate im sorry to hijack your post but u wont honastly get any info from fat boy

mjks
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 06, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the footage was taken by the doro teams, thats apparently all there is...

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yah; I'd go back and compare the shots again. If it were the exact same angle as on the bootleg, then you'd be onto something. As it stands, it may well be what DoRo shot from similar angles.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Palabras user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL wrote:

Brian has recently said that no footage of Knebworth exists as the stuff fed to the screen was not recorded (contradicting something he said a while ago), however after spending the last hour or so comparing videos I am certain this is untrue.
'On My Way Up' has mentioned this before but I have only just had a look for myself.
On the Freddie Tribute video (tape 1) there is LOADS of footage fron Knebworth with Freddie in his all white jacket, and it IS from Knebworth as its exactly what is on the big screen on the bootleg video.
To give you two good examples there is the army salute thing which he does at the end of Bo-Rap (think this is also on TSMGO video).
Also if you watch the Tribute vid there is a montage of clips with IWIA playing over the top (think its between Extream an Def Leppard). On this you see Freddie in his white jacket on the stairs at the right of the stage doing this air guitar thing, watch the bootleg vid and you will see this exact shot immediately after the guitar solo in HTF when it cuts from Brian to Freddie.

So my question to Greg is, if the big screen footage was not recorded where did the footage mentioned above come from ?
Finally , someone who is with me on this!!!I'm so glad now:-)What you say is entirely true!!!It is exact the same footage!!NOT the footage from the doro camera team!!!The doro camera team had no feed to the big screen!!!

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Palabras wrote:

NTL wrote:

Finally , someone who is with me on this!!!I'm so glad now:-)What you say is entirely true!!!It is exact the same footage!!NOT the footage from the doro camera team!!!The doro camera team had no feed to the big screen!!!

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Palabras wrote:

NTL wrote:

Palabras is the nickname from my girlfriend:-)I'm on her computer:-)

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I spend hours and hours comparing all these shots and Knebworth is easy to identifie because of freddie's pants!All people that have the bootleg video should watch and compare these shots.Having the big screen footage on a rare live dvd(a good one like zeppelin's one )would be awesome.

on my way up
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be strange if DoRo filmed the parts from completely different angles, wouldn't? It was live show and they worked in the places where they could work as well as cameramen whose cameras were working for the big screens. And talking about DoRo footages - I don't know how better to desribe them - but they looks like "cinema" (just compare Freddie's "Day-Oh" from Magic Years with Wembley DVD - absolutely different quality of footage, not talking about slighlty different angle), for the screens it was "video" (why should someone use cinema film for broadcasting on the screen?!).

Besides that - why should they lie about this tape? What for?

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

It would be strange if DoRo filmed the parts from completely different angles, wouldn't? It was live show and they worked in the places where they could work as well as cameramen whose cameras were working for the big screens. And talking about DoRo footages - I don't know how better to desribe them - but they looks like "cinema" (just compare Freddie's "Day-Oh" from Magic Years with Wembley DVD - absolutely different quality of footage, not talking about slighlty different angle), for the screens it was "video" (why should someone use cinema film for broadcasting on the screen?!).

Besides that - why should they lie about this tape? What for?
I don't understand what you mean?

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mean that you have to compare not angles, but quality of used tape/film/picture! Question is not in colour of Freddie's pants, man!

a) DoRo filmed what they wanted from the same angles, because technically it was easier, place was already prepared

b) DoRo used different kind of tape/film; using of cinema tape for broadcasting show on the big screen is funny, but useless therefore you can't compare these footages! (just as I wrote in previous post - compare quality of Freddie's dayohs on Wembley - DVD by Gavin Taylor and Magic Years by Rudi Dolezal)

c) why should Brian lie about this tape?

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

I mean that you have to compare not angles, but quality of used tape/film/picture! Question is not in colour of Freddie's pants, man!

a) DoRo filmed what they wanted from the same angles, because technically it was easier, place was already prepared

b) DoRo used different kind of tape/film; using of cinema tape for broadcasting show on the big screen is funny, but useless therefore you can't compare these footages! (just as I wrote in previous post - compare quality of Freddie's dayohs on Wembley - DVD by Gavin Taylor and Magic Years by Rudi Dolezal)

c) why should Brian lie about this tape?
Freddie's pants are important to know whether this show was knebworth or another magic tour gig. My point is just: there were 2 different camerateams!!One that filmed for the big screen and the doro team that filmed other stuff like the audience.You can see footage from ITTWWC on magic years.That was filmed by the DoRo team.I don't think they had anything to do with the big screen.That is what Brian said.I think Brian makes a mistake when he says there is no footage from Knebworth.The above mentioned shots are proof of that

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Freddie's pants are important to know whether this show was knebworth or another magic tour gig. My point is just: there were 2 different camerateams!!One that filmed for the big screen and the doro team that filmed other stuff like the audience.You can see footage from ITTWWC on magic years.That was filmed by the DoRo team.I don't think they had anything to do with the big screen.That is what Brian said.I think Brian makes a mistake when he says there is no footage from Knebworth.The above mentioned shots are proof of that

It's not just your point - it's reality! Two teams! One - for the screens, another one to film FEW footages for documentary, not complete show. Therefore - there's no complete professional video of this show. Brian didn't make any mistake in his post at all - Freddie's pants proved that those damned pants were filmed by two DIFFERENT cameras and you're talking about footages by camera which hadn't film the whole show. That's the point!

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man, read again WHAT Brian wrote: "There is a little bit of documentary footage in existence, also shot at the time separately, by Rudi and Hannes, I think ... which includes some beautiful audience footage - which has been used in the odd documentary. ... but that's it."

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

on my way up wrote:

It's not just your point - it's reality! Two teams! One - for the screens, another one to film FEW footages for documentary, not complete show. Therefore - there's no complete professional video of this show. Brian didn't make any mistake in his post at all - Freddie's pants proved that those damned pants were filmed by two DIFFERENT cameras and you're talking about footages by camera which hadn't film the whole show. That's the point!
So , the footage from the big screens doesn't exist?I don't agree.You can see footage from the big screens on freddie's tribute dvd, the freddie inserts!!It's exact the same footage from the big screens.How is that possible when that footage doesn't exist?That's a simple questionfor you. And hey ,I don't want to offend you!!So , don't get angry:-)

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Man, read again WHAT Brian wrote: "There is a little bit of documentary footage in existence, also shot at the time separately, by Rudi and Hannes, I think ... which includes some beautiful audience footage - which has been used in the odd documentary. ... but that's it."
Brian once said that they had the footage fromthe big screens.A source that contradicts itself isn't a reliable source, even if it is brian!I believe my own eyes more.

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

So , the footage from the big screens doesn't exist?I don't agree.You can see footage from the big screens on freddie's tribute dvd, the freddie inserts!!It's exact the same footage from the big screens.How is that possible when that footage doesn't exist?That's a simple questionfor you. And hey ,I don't want to offend you!!So , don't get angry:-)

Oh God... Please re-read now what I wrote in this thread. Those footages were filmed a) from the SAME angle, because it's technically easier b) they're on cinema tape (it can be proven by your eyes!) -> filmed by DoRo -> not complete recording.

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

on my way up wrote:

Oh God... Please re-read now what I wrote in this thread. Those footages were filmed a) from the SAME angle, because it's technically easier b) they're on cinema tape (it can be proven by your eyes!) -> filmed by DoRo -> not complete recording.
So the DoRo-team did have a feed to the big screen?but only their camera's did record on cinema tape?Is that what you're sayin'

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Serry... wrote:

on my way up wrote:

So the DoRo-team did have a feed to the big screen?but only their camera's did record on cinema tape?Is that what you're sayin'
Or were there two camera's next to each other filming exact the same things?

on my way up

Posted: 09 Sep 06, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, they used different tape, different angles sometimes, sometime the same - and footages that you're and NTL talking about are from that tape! It only proves that DoRo filmed more than just Radio GaGa, WATC and ITTWWC (by the way - have you compared ITTWWC from Magic Years with bootleg video? It's a good way if you want to see the difference between tapes... Or famous "flying bass" moment? Can you see it on the bootleg video?)! DoRo's footages are incomplete. You're talking about DoRo footages. That's the fault, guys.