Forums > Personal > Classic Album: The Mothers Of Invention-We're Only In It For The Money

forum rss feed
Author

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, where do I begin? This is it folks, this is what "Art-Rock" is. This album is full of catchy hooks and melodies, its hillarious, full of polictical satire and tons of parody. A true pleasure for the ears, Zappa was no doubt amazing at producing and arranging. Anyone who dares to listen to this album will be rewarded. Although, it may take awhile to get use to. It's definately a personal favourite of mine. I'd love to see others opinions though :)

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mine is less an opinion and more a statement.

I have never heard this album or any of Frank Zappa's work.

I lie. I heard him and his band (I'm not sure if it were the Mothers of Invention) do I am the Walrus.

Additionally I believe the guy in Rock School was over emphasising Frank Zappa in the role of music..

Paul Green: YEAH! FUCKING FRANK FUCKING ZAPPA INVENTED MUSIC IN THE STONE AGE
Interviewer: Uh.. I don't think that's right.
PG: YOU FUCKING FAGGOT! FRANK ZAPPA INVENTED THE EARTH AND PERHAPS EVERYTHING AND MONEY IN THE WORLD TENNIS AND THE PLACE THAT THAT THE DICTIONARY MADE THE DEBUT IN YORKSHIRE
I: You're fucking insane, aren't you....
PG: FRANK ZAPPA INVENTED INSANITY

So there you go.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its hard not to mention Frank Zappa as a pioneer in the world of music. Listen to this album with headphones, and you will see how good he was with producing and basically having fun. Good stuff.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iGSM wrote:

Additionally I believe the guy in Rock School was over emphasising Frank Zappa in the role of music..

PG: YOU FUCKING FAGGOT! FRANK ZAPPA INVENTED THE EARTH AND PERHAPS EVERYTHING AND MONEY IN THE WORLD TENNIS AND THE PLACE THAT THAT THE DICTIONARY MADE THE DEBUT IN YORKSHIRE

So there you go.

You're right. Contrary to popular belief, Frank did not invent tennis.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

iGSM wrote:

So there you go.

You're right. Contrary to popular belief, Frank did not invent tennis.

He didnt? ;_;...*puts away Tennis racket* lol j/k! Ah..every band has their over-eccentric fans. Look at half the Queen fans here. They act like Queen is their life and without Queen music they would die :p hehe

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 06, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I don't know what was wrong last night with me. I think it was because I went out - a first in about a week due to being sick - and I was on a little...sugar high (despite not eating any sugar)

I did enjoy the music in Rock School though.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BUMP. Come on, I know there are some members who actually know this lp :)

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course I know this album! Classic! ;-)

Actually I know about everything of that enourmous amount of work Zappa produced.

This one is nice. Revolutionairy for sure - for that time it is also musically pretty inventive, but I think one can only judge Zappas capacities when you listen to more then just one project.

His songwriting abilities as well as his musical abilities became more apparent only after a couple more albums after this.

Neither is this one my personal favourite.
But since it was the album that put it all in motion - yes, a classic with capital C.

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Of course I know this album! Classic! ;-)

Actually I know about everything of that enourmous amount of work Zappa produced.

This one is nice. Revolutionairy for sure - for that time it is also musically pretty inventive, but I think one can only judge Zappas capacities when you listen to more then just one project.

His songwriting abilities as well as his musical abilities became more apparent only after a couple more albums after this.

Neither is this one my personal favourite.
But since it was the album that put it all in motion - yes, a classic with capital C.

:) Thank you for the amazing insight! I'd love to hear more about your Zappa knowledge. I currently own this album, Freak Out! And Hot Rats. What could you possibly recommend to me from his vast and vary discography? :)

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see you started at the beginning and listen to stuff chronologically? ;-)

Hmmm... I think I can only add to that some of the key-albums (for whatever reason) and personal favourites.

The album that first got me into Zappa (and I still regard it as one of my favourites) is ROXY AND ELSEWHERE A later-live-album with the Mothers. Great musical performances, great guitar from Frank himself and some songs not available anywhere else. Ft definitive versions of Pinguin in Bondage and Cheapness.

If you like older Mothers - and then especially the humour-side of it, try FILLMORE WEST.
No songs - just talking with background music basically.

Though neither of them are personal favourites of mine, 200 MOTELS and UNCLE MEAT are considered as key-works for the Mothers. Very weird, no coherance whatsoever - weird sounds and talking instead of music - again: not my personal favourites, but one should hear them at least once and make up once's own mind.

ZOOT ALLURES is one of my personal favourites. Solo records with in my opinion one of the best bands he ever had (with Terry Bozzio for instance). Buy this one for great guitar-stuff and great, funny songs. Ft essential versions of Black Napkins (WOOHOO!!) and Disco Boy

SHEIK YERBOUTY - Zappa's commercially most succesfull album ever. Because of that hated by quite some fans, on the other hand also loved by a lot. This is the definitive 'songs' (double-)album also recorded with the legendary line-up it is one of the easyiest and in my personal opinion best albums he did. In the opinion of many also the last realy GREAT album he made. Ft Baby Snakes, Jewish Princess, I've been in you, Bobby Brown Goes down, Flakes, I'm so cute etc etc.

NOTE: that the BABY SNAKES DVD is from this era and is one of the finest Zappa-films you will ever find anywhere. A MUST SEE!!!

ONE SIZE FITS ALL
OVERNITE SENSATION
Both great examples of latter Mothers-albums. Both classics both have great material, not so weird as before, more song-like.

Then on to latter Zappa... which is difficult because a lot of albums are just plain shite... die-hard fans don't like any of them REALY. But I still think there are about a handfull that are definately worth a listen:

THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD...
Live double record with Big Band arrangements of Zappa classics, originals and cover versions of other artists. I personally like this one very much and find it quite funny - but you have to like the big-band sound.

SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH
One of the better, latter pop albums. Zappa won his first Grammy for Valley Girl, with his daughter Moon Unit on 'vocals'.

ZAPPA MEETS THE MOTHERS OF PREVENTION
Modern- political-critical album with good songs and good musicianship, one of the best from the era with Steve Vai.

I could go on and on...
But the difficult thing with Zappa is that he made SO much diverse stuff. One fan loves what the other fan hates and you have to discover which period fits you best.

But in general one can say go for anything from 60's/70's and forget about anything he did in the 80's...

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW! Awesome write up, I'll take your suggestions to heart. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that up :). It seems SHEIK YERBOUTY is gonna be the next on my list!

Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, Zappa was an amazin guitar player, and a great music writer, woiiftm its an amazin album, a lot of sounds, very bizarre should i say, but i love it, "mama mama, someone say they make some noise" yeah, that song rocks...
this is my list of Zappa must have

"Hot Rats" imo the greatest zappa album ever
"Freak out" a double album debut? yeah!
"Roxy and elsewhere" amazin
"Overnite sensation" classic
"Lumpy Gravy" amazin rare, christ how did he created that
"Grand Wazoo", Eat that question says it all

Loser in the end!!!

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See, that's how it can go:
I'm no BIG fan of neither Grand Wazoo nor Lumpy Gravy ;-) Not bad at all, still better albums, but not my favourites.

But:

"Roxy and elsewhere"
"Overnite sensation"

Cool! ;-)
These are the ones we both picked - should give you an indication of which albums to get next! ;-)

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

;) thanks mates, you've all been so helpful! I'll definately check those two out!

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ICH BIN DEIN SOOOFAAAAHHH!! ;-)

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P.s. Just found out something in our profiles... Interesting: we are apparently the only QZ'ers that like Zappa. Do you think it is a coincidense that all three of us mention Freddie as our fav member and Queen II as fav record? :-D

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I must admit that I'm a fan of Zappa, though I haven't listened closely to WOIIFTM. I'm a fan more of the mid- to late-70s Zappa when he became more polished - Apostrophe (') and Zoot Allures are two of my favorite albums that he did. The instrumental title track of Apostrophe is absolutely killer.

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

P.s. Just found out something in our profiles... Interesting: we are apparently the only QZ'ers that like Zappa. Do you think it is a coincidense that all three of us mention Freddie as our fav member and Queen II as fav record? :-D

I believe we are blessed with the gift of sensitive ears ;) We enjoy the producing aspect of albums

@Lester. Man, you just rock, I'm gonna check out those albums

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, darling, I just KNEW that you belonged with the most sophisticated of us! ;-)

Zoot Allures RULES!

Posted: 11 Sep 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, darling, I just KNEW that you belonged with the most sophisticated of us! ;-)

Zoot Allures RULES!