Forums > Fan mixes > Barcelona album 5.1

forum rss feed
Author

freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 06, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry - not an announce, but does anyone (Adam - you seem to be the pro around here) fancy using all the available elements to come up with a decent 5.1 mix of the album?

All we'd really need done are the tracks NOT on the DVD...

Does anyone have the software to create a dts track as opposed to a dolby dig 5.1?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 06, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can only make attempts but you will end up with something which is miles and miles away from a real 5.1 mix.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 12 Sep 06, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course it'll not be as good as a proper one as you'd need individual elements, but there are a couple of good 5.1 dts cds out there of DATR and SHA done by a fan.
There's also a Q2, but that's got a few problems...

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 06, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie lives wrote:

Of course it'll not be as good as a proper one as you'd need individual elements, but there are a couple of good 5.1 dts cds out there of DATR and SHA done by a fan.
There's also a Q2, but that's got a few problems...

I'm very interested in DATR 5.1. Any clues as to where I might find it?

father to my son user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.mininova.org/tor/362003
here you go heres the link ,

word goes around

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.mininova.org/tor/354917
and this ones the sheer heart attack , all done by a fan , its a dts upmix

word goes around
Crezchi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How many conversations do i have to have with some of these users here?? You CANNOT make a 5.1 mix WITHOUT the MULTI-TRACK RECORDING!!!! It is as simple as that! Please quit labeling these multi-layered tracks as 5.1 mixes.

Hello you rock and rollers!

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

these links are for 5.0 dts upmix , they have used a software to make these , which takes around 15 mins a track , i like them , its better than nothing , and the roger taylor fun in space dts upmix is great , simple really if you dont like them , dont get them

word goes around

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

father to my son wrote:

these links are for 5.0 dts upmix , they have used a software to make these , which takes around 15 mins a track , i like them , its better than nothing , and the roger taylor fun in space dts upmix is great , simple really if you dont like them , dont get them

That's fine, then people who do not have the knowledge of Studio and mixing audio shouldn't label these as 5.1 mixes.

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crezchi wrote:

father to my son wrote:

That's fine, then people who do not have the knowledge of Studio and mixing audio shouldn't label these as 5.1 mixes.

Wrong sonny! I happen to be someone who does know a fair bit about audio processing, and I say if I take a stereo recording and add 4 tracks of white noise, it's still a 5.1 mix. Whether or not the result is listenable is a different discussion entirely. I am just being curious what it sounds like, that's all. By the way, which studio do you work at?

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

here, here , like i said before , if you dont like them , dont download them , fireplace tell me what you think about them

word goes around

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fireplace wrote:

Crezchi wrote:

father to my son wrote:

Wrong sonny! I happen to be someone who does know a fair bit about audio processing, and I say if I take a stereo recording and add 4 tracks of white noise, it's still a 5.1 mix. Whether or not the result is listenable is a different discussion entirely. I am just being curious what it sounds like, that's all. By the way, which studio do you work at?

And you have made a fool out of yourself! If you do not have the MULTI-TRACK recording, you cannot create a true 5.1 mix. It is like taking an old VHS and converting it to dvd. You cannot create quality that is simply not there from the original. You may mask it and make it sound better, or copy certain parts or tracks in to the others to make it seem 5.1, but technically you cannot creat a true 5.1 mix without multi-tracks. lol funny that you ask what studio i work at! lol Actually my dad owns and operates a recording studio, and 2 of my friends are Studio pros who work for a company called "Live Technology" and i have another friend who works for a Studio down in L.A. plus i am a musician and i have taken studio recording/mixing classes in High School and college, and own my own recording equipment and software, mixing equipment, and i have recorded around 20 bands since 2 years ago. But that doesn't matter, the fact is what it is.

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crezchi.
Stop being such an ARSE.
Nobody is disputing the fact that these aren't made using the multi track master tapes and they won't be as good as if they were made by using said master tapes, BUT someone has put in a lot of work messing about with frequencies and bringing background instruments into the foreground and isolating various sounds as best as possible to create a surround mix that is as good as you will get without the using multi track master tapes.

Anyway - if bloody Queen themselves can bang out a live DVD that has been "upmixed" to produce sounds that eminate from 5 speakers and a subwoofer AND then call it a 5.1 mix, then so can we!!!

Now then, Father To Son. I've been waiting for that Fun in space surround dts cd - have you a link please!!??

Thanks,

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crezchi wrote:

Fireplace wrote:

Crezchi wrote:

father to my son wrote:

And you have made a fool out of yourself! If you do not have the MULTI-TRACK recording, you cannot create a true 5.1 mix. It is like taking an old VHS and converting it to dvd. You cannot create quality that is simply not there from the original. You may mask it and make it sound better, or copy certain parts or tracks in to the others to make it seem 5.1, but technically you cannot creat a true 5.1 mix without multi-tracks. lol funny that you ask what studio i work at! lol Actually my dad owns and operates a recording studio, and 2 of my friends are Studio pros who work for a company called "Live Technology" and i have another friend who works for a Studio down in L.A. plus i am a musician and i have taken studio recording/mixing classes in High School and college, and own my own recording equipment and software, mixing equipment, and i have recorded around 20 bands since 2 years ago. But that doesn't matter, the fact is what it is.

Man, why get so worked up over it? Just relax, this is a fan mix forum after all.

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie lives wrote:

Crezchi.
Stop being such an ARSE.
Nobody is disputing the fact that these aren't made using the multi track master tapes and they won't be as good as if they were made by using said master tapes, BUT someone has put in a lot of work messing about with frequencies and bringing background instruments into the foreground and isolating various sounds as best as possible to create a surround mix that is as good as you will get without the using multi track master tapes.

Anyway - if bloody Queen themselves can bang out a live DVD that has been "upmixed" to produce sounds that eminate from 5 speakers and a subwoofer AND then call it a 5.1 mix, then so can we!!!

Now then, Father To Son. I've been waiting for that Fun in space surround dts cd - have you a link please!!??

Thanks,

First, i am not an ARSE, i have one just like you. lol But i am NOT trying to cause problems, it's just that when this other person(s) claim they can make a true 5.1 mix without the Multi-Track recording, it gets under my skin because it is impossible! I appreciate these FAN mixes, even if they are not true 5.1, but i just think there shouldn't be a label on them for something they are not, that way everyone knows what they are.

Posted: 13 Sep 06, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For someone who is such a genius you sure read badly. Anything containing six separate audio channels is true 5.1, even it's the same mono channel six times over. You can choose to have 6 different tracks on 6 channels, or the same track with slight EQ differences, it's still 5.1.

On most older live music DVD's you only hear the audience and a bit of reverb in the rear speakers.
Whether or not you approve of that is completely irrelevant, although I agree that fan mixers shouldn't try to pass it off as the genuine thing. For the record, in this case nobody did.

Perhaps you ought to be a bit careful who you call a fool, I might still come and collect my copy of Sunbury 1974.

Posted: 14 Sep 06, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to freddie lives , roger's fun in space the link is no more , email at canddhowell@tiscali.co.uk

word goes around
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 06, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe these so called surround mixes do the same technique as the quadrophonic or whatever it's called sets do.

They make an out of phase signal from the original stereo signal and put in the 2 speakers in the back

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 14 Sep 06, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Father To Son - I've sent you an email from renewedhealth.

Posted: 14 Sep 06, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Maybe these so called surround mixes do the same technique as the quadrophonic or whatever it's called sets do.

They make an out of phase signal from the original stereo signal and put in the 2 speakers in the back

Mostly, yes. Unless an album was specifically made for quadrophonic systems, they did that for a short while in the 70's (Pink Floyd!). The reason stereo was the accepted standard for so long, is that fact that human beings have two ears. What the industry forgot is that people hear in 360 degrees, so the use of more than two channels is not a waste.

For live amplification quadrophonics didn't work. The idea was to have two channels front and two channels rear, but in large stadiums the people at the back only heard the rear speakers, thereby missing out on roughly half the sound.