Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Official Budapest '86 DVD on the way

forum rss feed
Author

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has stated on his letters page that they are now looking at releasing more Queen live DVD, with Budapest '86 looking like a "great prospect".

It will look great due to how it was filmed (will be good to see it at the correct speed at least!), and I hope they get a good sound mix, but as we've already got this on VHS, and we have the same show from Wembley already out, surely they could show a bit of imagination and release something from 77-81? Some great shows do exist, so I don't want to die of old age before we get them 'properly'!!

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GREAT NEWS

Let's hope they do a high-def version too, now that would be AWESOME

"(will be good to see it at the correct speed at least!)"

Not Queen's fault that PAL converted films speeds up by 4%, it happens with all films. (Flash Gordon/Highlander anyone?)
NTSC is the way to go if you want the correct speed (audio pitch) as it always has been with DVDs (albeit lower res and jerky 3:2 pull down)

So PAL DVD version of Budapest will still be fast unless they do a pitch correction.

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well this topic gives me a headache, but since the concert was apparently shot on film, which is closer to the PAL framerate than NTSC, if it's remastered then there shouldn't be any problem.

It's ridiculous anyway. A mistake was made during the original transfer obviously. We have NTSC and PAL versions of everything else without speed problems.

My favourite theory about this was the dude who said they sped it up slightly to save videotape on the VHS version. LOL!

But anyway, that's good news about the possible releases..

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Brian has stated on his letters page that they are now looking at releasing more Queen live DVD, with Budapest '86 looking like a "great prospect".

It will look great due to how it was filmed (will be good to see it at the correct speed at least!), and I hope they get a good sound mix, but as we've already got this on VHS, and we have the same show from Wembley already out, surely they could show a bit of imagination and release something from 77-81? Some great shows do exist, so I don't want to die of old age before we get them 'properly'!!

That's Queen Productions for you. More of the same, more of the same. How do they expect to sell this to the general public (since that seems to always be their target, it's certainly not their fans.)

Brian: "Hey folks, here's a new Queen DVD for you!"

Public: "Great, I loved Wembley Stadi....hey, wait a second. It's all the same songs.....from the same tour!"

Brian: "Well yeah it is virtually identical and doesn't offer you anything new but this concert was readily available and since we're fucking lazy we wont have to do much with it. We KNOW you'll buy it. Besides, there is one difference from Wembley, we have a Hungarian folk song on it."

Public: "Oh yeah, a Hungarian folk song. Well that makes all the difference in the world."

Queen fan: "I hate the fucking public."

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Allred wrote:

cmsdrums wrote:

That's Queen Productions for you. More of the same, more of the same. How do they expect to sell this to the general public (since that seems to always be their target, it's certainly not their fans.)

Brian: "Hey folks, here's a new Queen DVD for you!"

Public: "Great, I loved Wembley Stadi....hey, wait a second. It's all the same songs.....from the same tour!"

Brian: "Well yeah it is virtually identical and doesn't offer you anything new but this concert was readily available and since we're fucking lazy we wont have to do much with it. We KNOW you'll buy it. Besides, there is one difference from Wembley, we have a Hungarian folk song on it."

Public: "Oh yeah, a Hungarian folk song. Well that makes all the difference in the world."

Queen fan: "I hate the fucking public."

ROFL!!

the funny thing is, you just KNOW that you are gonna end up buying it.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mikahl wrote:

My favourite theory about this was the dude who said they sped it up slightly to save videotape on the VHS version. LOL!

That was an old trick that filmakers did back in the days before DVD. It was to save space. If you dont believe me then check out The Who's The Kids Are Alright DVD. That was one of the problems that they had when converting that from the original release to the DVD release.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just shite my pants. Yes! Another 80's concert, can't wait. :')

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

andy1962 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i hear the new wembly dvd is the support acts with bonus disc of the crowd remixed in 5.1 surround sound!!!!can't wait then i will have the full days events...lol

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

andy1962 wrote:

i hear the new wembly dvd is the support acts with bonus disc of the crowd remixed in 5.1 surround sound!!!!can't wait then i will have the full days events...lol

I think they've added a new multi-angle feature too, allowing us to watch nothing but that creepy guy who thinks he looks like Freddie whilst sitting on someone's shoulders the whole time if we want!

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG! ANOTHER MAGIC TOUR '86 DVD! NO WAY :D.....:/..Queen Products. what the fuck, seriously, don't waste the publics money or time please.

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SK wrote:

OMG! ANOTHER MAGIC TOUR '86 DVD! NO WAY :D.....:/..Queen Products. what the fuck, seriously, don't waste the publics money or time please.

Hahahaha, in the first half of that you sounded like such a valley girl! ROFL! :D <3

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian told me the Hungarian Folksong is in 5.1 surround. Greg Brooks did some hard work on the DVD ; he included the missing songs (not on the VHS) to the DVD and added the footage which was taped in Budapest. (Roger driving the small cars, John walking on the boulevard)G.B.) "Boy, it was a tough job, but after the long research I did find the footage. Now I'm really proud of myself!"

Only the footage is the same quality as the footage on Vienna 1982, (another one bites the dust etc and the interview with Freddie; Live at the Bowl DVD)...... (G.B.) Oh sorry, I could not find any better quality in the archives and my pre-paid card from T-Mobile was empty so I could not contact the T.V. company to send Queenproductions some better material. Anyway, I get my salary at the end of the month so... who cares!!

Let's see; Houston 1977, Earl's Court 1977, London 1979, Paris 1979! (G.B)"Sorry Brian and Roger, I could not find any decent footage of it. Maybe I should post a message on brianmay.com if anyone around the world has some footage from Seven Seas Of Rhye: taped at the BBC. Sorry Brian and Roger, my prepaid card from T-mobile is blocked again. A message at brianmay.com will be fine. Maybe someone will send us a disc. Wait Brian, I can do some colour filling with PAINT on my windows XP computer, It's a free program. No Roger, the fans would not see any difference, ha ha!

Sorry... it just had to be here!!!!

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

Brian told me the Hungarian Folksong is in 5.1 surround. Greg Brooks did some hard work on the DVD ; he included the missing songs (not on the VHS) to the DVD and added the footage which was taped in Budapest. (Roger driving the small cars, John walking on the boulevard)G.B.) "Boy, it was a tough job, but after the long research I did find the footage. Now I'm really proud of myself!"

Only the footage is the same quality as the footage on Vienna 1982, (another one bites the dust etc and the interview with Freddie; Live at the Bowl DVD)...... (G.B.) Oh sorry, I could not find any better quality in the archives and my pre-paid card from T-Mobile was empty so I could not contact the T.V. company to send Queenproductions some better material. Anyway, I get my salary at the end of the month so... who cares!!

Let's see; Houston 1977, Earl's Court 1977, London 1979, Paris 1979! (G.B)"Sorry Brian and Roger, I could not find any decent footage of it. Maybe I should post a message on brianmay.com if anyone around the world has some footage from Seven Seas Of Rhye: taped at the BBC. Sorry Brian and Roger, my prepaid card from T-mobile is blocked again. A message at brianmay.com will be fine. Maybe someone will send us a disc. Wait Brian, I can do some colour filling with PAINT on my windows XP computer, It's a free program. No Roger, the fans would not see any difference, ha ha!

Sorry... it just had to be here!!!!

HAHAHA, you soun like Tawny Kitaen when she was on the surreal life! ROFL!

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

SK wrote:

Hahahaha, in the first half of that you sounded like such a valley girl! ROFL! :D <3

;) <3.

Armando Alejandro Estrada user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not another DVD from the 80s? I'm sick an tired of these poor releases by Queen. Why not something from the 70s?

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least it is better than the recently recycled FM stuff we already have 95% of on CD and DVD.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Van wrote:

At least it is better than the recently recycled FM stuff we already have 95% of on CD and DVD.

and the other 5% is a theirry lang track and a bunch of dumb remixes....

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 06, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've actually wanted to see this concert in full for a long time, so, I'm happy at least.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 06, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KevoM wrote:

GREAT NEWS

Let's hope they do a high-def version too, now that would be AWESOME

"(will be good to see it at the correct speed at least!)"

Not Queen's fault that PAL converted films speeds up by 4%, it happens with all films. (Flash Gordon/Highlander anyone?)
NTSC is the way to go if you want the correct speed (audio pitch) as it always has been with DVDs (albeit lower res and jerky 3:2 pull down)

So PAL DVD version of Budapest will still be fast unless they do a pitch correction.

Not necessarily. Some people recently developed a pulldown method for Film > PAL transfer encoding which, while not 100% smooth (apparently just a tiny stutter every few seconds or so), would eradicate the need for speeding up the video and audio. I believe it sort of follows the 3:2 / 2:3 pulldown (algorithm?) methods used for Film transfers within NTSC.

I believe you can read about the method at http://www.doom9.org

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 06, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mikahl wrote:

Well this topic gives me a headache, but since the concert was apparently shot on film, which is closer to the PAL framerate than NTSC, if it's remastered then there shouldn't be any problem.

It's ridiculous anyway. A mistake was made during the original transfer obviously. We have NTSC and PAL versions of everything else without speed problems.

But anyway, that's good news about the possible releases..

Again, as I've discussed before regarding Budapest, this was shot on 35mm film at a rate of 24fps (frames per second). PAL uses a rate of 25fps, so the frames actually do not match up or divide evenly, hence the film actually had to be speeded up back then (actually, this still happens with a lot of PAL releases these days in a lot of cases with movies) by 1fps (or an increase of 4%) to match up with the PAL framerate.

Again, there are special algorithms available now to convert Film to PAL w/o speeding it up. In fact, some European broadcasters are using this new pulldown method for movie broadcasts. But it is not 100% perfect.

On the other hand, Film can be converted to NTSC using a 3:2 (technically 2:3) telecine pulldown method to add an extra 5 frames to each second of video. While this makes for a nice transition to NTSC, especially on DVD's (HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs use the original (native) Film rate for movies), it makes for slightly jerky movements in slow panning movements, hence why a lot of DVD players offer progressive output so that the compatible TV (receiver) can decode the video to it's original 24p (progressive) format (since NTSC is 29.97i (interlaced)).

So I hope this clears things up.

PS. Sorry if I sounded like a geek for a moment there :D

PPS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine