Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > question about wembley 12.7.86 overdubs...

forum rss feed
Author

kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi! I heard something about this overdubs, could someone please say if this is a true...and on which songs... thanks!!

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As with all overdubbed live lps, mostly all the songs have been overdubbed in one way or another

kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks! but does anybody know where exactly are they present....cheers

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alomst everything is Freddies vocals, some off the top of my head,

One Vision,
The vocal lines "and visions of one sweet union", "Look what they've done to my dream", "Give me your hands, give me your hearts etc", and also the bit at the end where Roger repeats Freddie.

A Kind Of Magic,
The words "Is challenging" before the guitar solo and "will sone be, will soon be etc" at the end of the song.

Champions,
The line "And I aint gonna lose" and also Freddies vocal in the choruses.

There are more like in WWTLF but cant be bothered to point them all out.
Basicaly everytime Freddie "screams" like all in the above, its been overdubbed.


I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks!! very interesting...

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 06, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NTL wrote:

Alomst everything is Freddies vocals, some off the top of my head,

One Vision,
The vocal lines "and visions of one sweet union", "Look what they've done to my dream", "Give me your hands, give me your hearts etc", and also the bit at the end where Roger repeats Freddie.

A Kind Of Magic,
The words "Is challenging" before the guitar solo and "will sone be, will soon be etc" at the end of the song.

Champions,
The line "And I aint gonna lose" and also Freddies vocal in the choruses.

There are more like in WWTLF but cant be bothered to point them all out.
Basicaly everytime Freddie "screams" like all in the above, its been overdubbed.


why...i've heard bootlegs of those songs that certainly havent been overdubbed, and they sound fine!

Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Yes, they sound fine, for a bootleg but most of the times, the artist wants the proper release to be as perfect as possible. That's why they overdub most things. Brian overdubbed many parts of his guitar too.


Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overdubs may be incorrect here, there was certainly some tinkering in the mix and re-editing of the tracks, however did the guys go into the studio and re-record parts...? well it's open for debate, there is plenty of material floating about from recordings of the tour that they can cut and paiste from.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No the overdubs come from other LIVE recordings.


What WOULD be interesting is to find out which concerts all the overdubs come from! ;-)
So if anybody has way too much time on his or her hands... find out! :-D


una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thats bullshit - why wud queen do that - to sound as good as they can???

If that was the case why did they release Wembley in the first place!!!

Wembley is a great concert but does anyone else seem to notice that it's like 1percent slow (the recording), like budapest is increased by a bit.

Like take bohemian rhapdosy the second verse, it sounds as if its been slowed sown and its really annoying

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Eeerrrr well I think you'll find it's common practice to 'clean-up' live recordings which IS waht has happened here, no big issue they just make sure it's sounds as good as it can, no live recording is error free throughout, they all have drop-out issues or someone just played a bum note, this is justthe way bands clean up the live release afterwards.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3033 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 - I think that the Budapest concert was speeded up (by mistake) during one of the stages of transferring from film to tape - I'm not exactly sure of the technicalities, but it's definitely Budapest that is fast, not Wembley that is slow.

Looks like Budapest will be one of the next live DVDs, so hopefully they will correct this then.

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

NTL wrote:

Alomst everything is Freddies vocals, some off the top of my head,

One Vision,
The vocal lines "and visions of one sweet union", "Look what they've done to my dream", "Give me your hands, give me your hearts etc", and also the bit at the end where Roger repeats Freddie.

A Kind Of Magic,
The words "Is challenging" before the guitar solo and "will sone be, will soon be etc" at the end of the song.

Champions,
The line "And I aint gonna lose" and also Freddies vocal in the choruses.

There are more like in WWTLF but cant be bothered to point them all out.
Basicaly everytime Freddie "screams" like all in the above, its been overdubbed.


why...i've heard bootlegs of those songs that certainly havent been overdubbed, and they sound fine!


Well you cant have heard have heard bootlegs without overdubs because I guarantee these are 100% correct, I would put my life on it.
Watch the DVD everytime freddie goes to sing one of these lines the camera cuts to someone else.

I have the bootleg, I am 100% correct, end of story.


I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
Q-Nick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 356 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watch Roger's QueenCam on 'Under Pressure'. Some clear overdubs.


www.freewebs.com/queentour2005

http://www.freewebs.com/queentour2005/car.htm



Queen + Paul Rodgers :: 2005 Tour Artwork and Bootleg Listing Sites
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

thats bullshit - why wud queen do that - to sound as good as they can???

If that was the case why did they release Wembley in the first place!!!

Wembley is a great concert but does anyone else seem to notice that it's like 1percent slow (the recording), like budapest is increased by a bit.

Like take bohemian rhapdosy the second verse, it sounds as if its been slowed sown and its really annoying

Darling - you are being a bit naive here now.
With of course the usual few exceptions here and there - basically EVERY live-album by ANY artist has overdubs.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

una999 wrote:

thats bullshit - why wud queen do that - to sound as good as they can???

If that was the case why did they release Wembley in the first place!!!

Wembley is a great concert but does anyone else seem to notice that it's like 1percent slow (the recording), like budapest is increased by a bit.

Like take bohemian rhapdosy the second verse, it sounds as if its been slowed sown and its really annoying

Darling - you are being a bit naive here now.
With of course the usual few exceptions here and there - basically EVERY live-album by ANY artist has overdubs.


Indeed. Although Dream Theater has a live album without any overdubs. But then again, they always sound so perfect live.

Same goes for Stream Of Passion. A somewhat new gothic band under the lead of the famous Arjen Anthony Lucassen (well, he is well-known here in Holland)...


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All bands "re-touch" their live material. Some do it more than others. Queen did it here and there, unlike another rock band who actually recorded a live album in the studio and added the audience into album mix.

Some of the early live Queen stuff is heavily overdubbed. Live at the Rainbow and other concerts of that era are, they even used backing tracks, which I find very un-Queen like.

RMT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seem to recall reading that Duran Duran's 'Arena' album was virtually all dubbed!


"Tangerine wishes, rainbows that colour the love parade"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Although Dream Theater has a live album without any overdubs. But then again, they always sound so perfect live.


Actually, four of their five live albums have no overdubs. As far as I know, the only one with overdubs is Scenes From New York, where they re-recorded John Petrucci's backing vocals for The Silent Man.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Phill the Thrill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ihavenolegs wrote:

unlike another rock band who actually recorded a live album in the studio and added the audience into album mix.



whose that?


Queen+PR Vancouver 13/04/06 anyone? Please FIND and SHARE it!