Forums > Personal > Should over-thin models be banned from fashion shows?

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell has called for "stick-thin" models to be banned from the catwalks during London Fashion Week.
It comes after Madrid's fashion week, one of Spain's most prestigious shows, banned underweight models on the basis of their body mass index (BMI).

Ms Jowell said "stick-thin" models pressurised girls to starve themselves.

But the British Fashion Council (BFC), which runs the event, said it would not tell designers how to run their shows.

United Nations health experts recommend a BMI of between 18.5 and about 25, but some models fall well below the minimum.

The fashion industry is hugely powerful in shaping the attitude of teenage girls and their feelings about themselves

Tessa Jowell, Culture Secretary

The Spanish Association of Fashion Designers decided to ban models who had a BMI of less than 18.

Ms Jowell urged the BFC to follow this example when the London show opens on Monday.

She said: "The fashion industry's promotion of beauty as meaning stick thin is damaging to young girls' self image and to their health.

"The fashion industry is hugely powerful in shaping the attitude of teenage girls and their feelings about themselves.

"I applaud the decision taken by Madrid to ban super-thin models, and urge the organisers of London Fashion Week to do the same."

But the BFC said in a statement it "does not comment or interfere in the aesthetic of any designer's show".

(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5352148.stm)

What do you think - should the freedom of the designers to choose their models and set fashion standards be respected or should steps be taken to protect young women from dangerous role models?

I think we are talking about models like this one

http://www.styleguru.org/images/new_york_fashion.jpg

I do not want any google ads here.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is an interesting question....I heard about this ban from the show last week. To a certain extent, if the fashion designers are making clothes that are cut for women who are that thin, there isn't too much that can be done. If you have to be a size 0 to fit into their clothes, than that's that.
However, these designers do hold a tremendous amount of sway over public opinion of what the ideal image of a woman is and should be, and for too long I think the image has been way too thin.
I think the designers know that they have this power, and for some reason they continue to make clothes for uber-skinny models as a way to motivate people (when it normally does the opposite). If it takes these fashion show organizers cutting designers from their shows in order to make them understand the danger they are posing, then maybe that's what it will take. We've given them enough time to see the harm that they are doing, and they've done nothing. Perhaps a swift kick in the wallet (and condemnation from the bigger shows) will make them see.
But I wish they'd use something other than the BMI to go on...most doctors agree today that the BMI system is crap. According to that thing, Shaq is obese for his height/weight ratio (and he's all muscle). They ought to use something like waist-hip ratio, which is a better indicator.

Formerly MHG
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is interesting....I'll have to think about what my answer would be for a little bit.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they should.

It's a disgrace to let girls and adult woman think that that is the way a woman should look. And that extremely thin is the way men want them to look.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ABSOLUTELY!

It was time that someone put a halt on the fashion industry. I for once I'm absolutely fed up with hearing from my girlfriend, cousins, and female friends how miserable they feel about the way they look when they feel perfectly fine.
They might say that they don't allow the media to influence their perspective on how a woman should look, but the truth of the matter is that they do.

Supermodels are the last people on earth that women should think about modeling themselves after.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As the father of a young girl i have to say that I believe a lot comes from the way you bring up a child and how you give them a balanced view of the world.

There is no doubt that there are huge pressures on young girls to look thin from the media and from peers, however, if the girl has a strong self belief and a solid grounding from her family she will be better equipped to cope, I'm not saying that is all you need, but the ability to be able to look beyond the tabloids and see the real world is vital.

I am fortunate that I can send my daughter to a school of my choice where I believe she gets nurtured in such a way that will help boost her confidence, this no-doubt will help her in the long run, but never under estimate the value of the early years, they are the time when children start to form there whole views on life, and a supportive open minded parent makes a world of difference, take them out show them the world and encourage them in everything they do.

Do I feel it is right to ban thin models, too little too late, and frankly it will not change the way women are portrayed in the media, I think they should try to have a balance, after all many girls are naturally thin, just as many are naturally fat, so why not design for them all?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i guess they should.

these models may look pretty, but there is a tendency for people to get the wrong idea of how a woman should look.

have you seen the dove ad? i love it. it's so real. not like the ones you see on... vogue for example.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with ever word, Togg and I think banning is always the very last resort.

However, the models we saw in the New York fashion shows last week are not "naturally thin", they look starved. To me they also do not look pretty.. Here are some pics from the net

http://imgsrv.knx1070.com/image/DbGraphic/200609/359578.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/2006/Sept/060908/060909_thin_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/13/skinny_narrowweb__300x454,0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/02/06/fashion_week16_gallery__470x363.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/02/07/1107796830_3353.jpg

This is not healthy and to think that teenage girls think they have to look that way to be successful and accepted is frightening. Something has to be done. How sick is a society when highly paid models look like poor starving people in Ethiopia (for example). I know it's not only the models, there are celebrities (for example Victoria Beckham) who also look like that.

I do not want any google ads here.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ Those pictures are SICK. Not one of them is pretty. They are ugly.

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nicole Ritchie also is extremely thin. Some reports say she is only 85 pounds. It is definitely a psychosis. I do agree with Togg that some women are naturally thin and also need clothing that fits them well, but I don't believe the looks of most models is how nature intended them to look. I think it is starvation. Something ought to be done to sway this popular look but I'm not sure what. Mostly, these women are adults and it is assumed that they are able to make rational decisions for their own health and eating habits. The pictures don't lie though.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>The Audacity of Charles wrote:

I can't find anything definite on what waist-to-hip ration "means", would you happen to know anything or have a link-y ? Just curious, as I've never really heard of this before !

Sure! The waist to hip ratio is a method of measurement which indicates how much fat you store around your middle. Scientific studies have now indicated that how much fat you store here is a greater indicator of possible health problems later than the BMI index. There are links here:
http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/waist-hip-ratio.htm

Formerly MHG
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am always aghast when I see women who wear sizes 12-14 (USA sizes) described as "plus size" models! Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12! Elizabeth Hurley once said that if she was as big as Marilyn Monroe was, that she'd want to die. Very sad.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I felt is was a great shame when Sophie Dahl slimmed down she was much more attractive with a little weight on her hips.

Hopefully this will prove to be just a fashion trend that will come and go, however I doubt much will change when it comes to how women are seen in the media. They will always be shown as perfect in the eyes of artists, producers, art directors, magazine editors etc, however every now and then we get a glimmer of hope when someone like Ana Matronic (The Scissor Sisters) shows up and seems happy (not to mention sexy) to be a little more substantial! shall we say.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A MESSAGE TO WOMEN:

Don't take advice from gay guys on how you should look.
Most men like women with meat on their bones.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

A MESSAGE TO WOMEN:

Don't take advice from gay guys on how you should look.
Most men like women with meat on their bones.

Yes, ban all skinny models. I don't know why some women want to have figures similar to young men (disgusting). Only a (likely gay) fashion designer can find that sexy.

Wait, was that statement homophobic of me. I'll compensate and give a random man a blowjob. Done.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of girls and women are brought up with the idea that all you really need to be/do as a woman, is be pretty. It's also very annoying that in this world of today, women still are not valued for who they are, how intelligent they are, how kind they are, but for the way they look. It's degrading. We women are much more than a body.
The extremely thin models that are on the catwalks of the world, send out the message "THIS is what's being pretty and attractive is all about, look at me!" It's utterly silly, if you think about it. After all, it should be about the clothes they are showing, and not about them. And not just that, it's a very unrealistic message they are sending out. Young girls (and adult women as well) think they have to starve themselves in order to look 'beautiful'. Girls and women who look perfectly fine and have a perfectly fine weight, think they are ugly and fat. So in my view, it's not only a matter of what parents teach the children (boys and girls, both) but also think about the message that these skinny models are giving them.

*edit* Oh I forgot to answer YV's question!
No I don't think skinny models should be banned. I agree with Togg, there should be skinny models, medium sized models, big models, small models, huge models. Models in all shapes and sizes and colours. Because people come in all shapes, sizes and colours.

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 18 Sep 06, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Personally I felt is was a great shame when Sophie Dahl slimmed down she was much more attractive with a little weight on her hips.

Hopefully this will prove to be just a fashion trend that will come and go, however I doubt much will change when it comes to how women are seen in the media. They will always be shown as perfect in the eyes of artists, producers, art directors, magazine editors etc, however every now and then we get a glimmer of hope when someone like Ana Matronic (The Scissor Sisters) shows up and seems happy (not to mention sexy) to be a little more substantial! shall we say.

Thanks for the message about Ana Matronic. I've heard of the Scissor Sisters before, but I'd never seen them. I google image searched her, and now feel a whole lot better about the way I look after seeing how good she looks. Natalie Maines from the Dixie Chicks looked better when she was bigger too.
Trust me, it sucks being on a college campus and being surrounded by all of the women who look like those stick thin models. You can't help but compare yourself...which I know is bad. We definately need more people that are "bigger" out there in the public eye (I HATE to call someone Ana's size bigger...she's normal sized to me!)
Thank goodness the modeling world is at least talking about the problem now, that's the first step to solving any problems.

Formerly MHG
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

I can't find anything definite on what waist-to-hip ration "means", would you happen to know anything or have a link-y ? Just curious, as I've never really heard of this before !

Sure! The waist to hip ratio is a method of measurement which indicates how much fat you store around your middle. Scientific studies have now indicated that how much fat you store here is a greater indicator of possible health problems later than the BMI index. There are links here:
http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/waist-hip-ratio.htm

Neat ! Thanks !

Ooo... I think I DO remember this...

Hey, this is a bit random, but I've been to CMU (not enrolled, just visiting). The Auditorium building was very nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Prettiest-Science-Nancy-Etcoff/dp/0385479425/sr=8-1/qid=1158613944/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3060731-0967966?ie=UTF8&s=books

^ This was a good book that I once read.

Not a random thing at all! CMU is a really nice campus. Which auditorium where you in? Plachta in Warriner Hall or one of the smaller ones in the library? Or there are some in the music building too....if you don't remember, you can describe the building and I'll figure it out.
I've seen that book before, btw. If I didn't have 31 books to read for the semester, I'd pick it up for sure.
Interesting note on this subject too...while I was at lunch with Jaap and my PAT friends (PAT is the national Historians Honors Society and Jaap is an exchange student from The Netherlands) we were talking about thin people and stuff. Kevin, who studies Victorian England, was telling me that back then, the ideal of feminine beauty was for a man to be able to touch his fingers around the wasit of a woman, thus the whole corset thing.

Formerly MHG
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll bet a lot of the people complaining are simply fat. What do you mean Ban? The market is there and people pay top dollar for the clothes so what is the big deal? Who died? Nobody. Who is making money? The model. The designer. The manufacturer.

There are fat models too. What about those three 400 pound hogs on the postcards? Should we ban them too?

I have a better idea. Ban TV, books, and music from the people who want to ban something.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave! wrote:

I'll bet a lot of the people complaining are simply fat.

I love my flabby gut.

Personally I'd much rather grab love handles than bones.