Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > George Michael - suitable frontman?

forum rss feed
Author

s37d user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After hearing George Michael perform Somebody to Love at the tribute concert, it's obvious that he's the most suitable replacement for Freddie. This isn't only because of his voice, but also him adding the counter-heterosexual element to the group that used to exist may revive some of the old chemistry. Does the group have any plans to do any touring with him? What do you guys think of George as Queen's frontman? I personally would love to hear him sing some of the songs, like Love of My Life, Who Wants to Live Forever, Friends Will Be Friends. I often listen to Michael's rendition of Somebody To Love instead of the original Queen version because of how well he sings it, something I wouldn't bother doing for any other singer at the tribute concert.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No. Since I doubt he can sing stuff like Hammer to Fall or Tie your mother Down

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry I can't agree here at all, whilst he could sing the softer stuff his voice is just too weak to handle the heavey things,but apart from that he just can't entertain the crowd in the way Freddie did. No Paul is a way better front man, George is better suited to being a solo artist where he can sing everything in a whisper.

Now if you what gay, good singer and great at entertaining try Elton.

Not that i'd want to see him fronting Queen, but much better than George.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George has a wider range than Elton imo.
You don't know, maybe George CAN sing the heavier stuff, we just never heard him do anything as heavy.

Killed by drones.
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well all I can go on is the fact Elton has recorded songs ranging from Sorry seems to be the hardest word, to The Bitch is Back and Saturday nights alright for fighting, Where as George seems to only work in one style.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is it with people thinking George Michael did a good job singing Somebody to Love at the tribute concert - its sucks - the only good bit is the guitar solo (pretty amazinf sound on it compared to other live recordings), but his voice is not sharp enough for the song and it looks like he's going to fall over with his exaggerated bends???

The best performance was I want it All with Roger Daltery.

I still dont know why people go on about Geroge Michael - that's the last thing u want to associate with Queen

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

What is it with people thinking George Michael did a good job singing Somebody to Love at the tribute concert - its sucks - the only good bit is the guitar solo (pretty amazinf sound on it compared to other live recordings), but his voice is not sharp enough for the song and it looks like he's going to fall over with his exaggerated bends???

I still dont know why people go on about Geroge Michael - that's the last thing u want to associate with Queen

It's George...
And if you choose Roger Daltrey's awfull performance over the best performance of the day (George Michael) you need a hearing aid.

Killed by drones.
deacyamp user not visiting Queenzone.com
deacyamp
Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey una999 ; if you still dont know why people go on about Geroge Michael , thats because you are like a monkey who try to swimm in an ocean . hahahaa ... I please you DONT TRY SO HARD to listen Queen.

" my words are great. isn't it? "

I'm just livin' on my own...
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

una999 wrote:

It's George...
And if you choose Roger Daltrey's awfull performance over the best performance of the day (George Michael) you need a hearing aid.

Amen brutha.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Kamenliter user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kamenliter
Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George sounds amazing on the tribute concert ver. of Somebody To Love..unfortunately, Brian was a bit overcome with emotion that day and screwed up the solo during the actual concert...he later went into the studio and fixed it up for the released versions.

- Kamen

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fairy King - they say everyone is entitled to their own opinion - well in this case you are incorrect

George gets the song out but its at the upper limit of his abilities and it sounds like his voice is stretched.

Rogers performance of I want it all is fab, like if you compare it to paul rodgers.

Somebody to love at the tribute concert is bad even in terms of the music - the start is pretty disappointing etc.

we will rock you was quite good too (far better than SBTL)

Sorry - i just remember now - HAMMER TO FALL was the best performance. Just listened to samples of songs there.

I'll even go as far to say that he sung it better than freddie did.

ANyone agree?

People who think George Michael did a good job are tone deaf - its a forced performance and does not sound natural. Some people want him to join up with Queen cos he is gay. I mean get a life why would you want that!

I think Gary Cherone should have stepped in for freddie.

It's great to be correct on these matters

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel like 1992 all over again

:)
s37d user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

George Michael would have, I'm sure, jumped at the chance to front what's left of Queen

I don't know about that, he recently stated that he's tired of touring, and to me, George seems like the kind of guy who doesn't want to become a 'replacement' for someone else, regardless of how great they were. I may not be an expert on Queen material nor a master of tones, but I've watched that tribute concert a countless number of times, and I can't see how anyone else besides George even came close to matching Freddie's voice in terms of range and clarity, except maybe Annie Lennox.

kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George is primarily pop singer, he has his own persona....although STL on tribute conert was fabulous....

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael did a fine job with STL. He also sang it a half tone lower, in G instead of Ab. That made a very difficult song much easier, and he still couldn't hit the "love" part after the solo and handed it over to the audience. I'd love to see him rip into a song like It's Late in a live setting. The Queen catalogue would destroy George Michael (my favourite pop singer, with the best phrasing since Freddie) if he performed it live.

You know, good times are now.
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

george would be the best choice right now, he could be great front man and he is, who says other hasn't seen his shows! his voice is the best! as someone said before he can't sing like hammer to fall... well i am sure he can but even if he can't then queen chooses other songs to the list, just like with paul, because paul just can't sing many songs as they said, the voice that paul has doesn't suite to many songs, same is probably with george, but bellive me, songs that he can sing will sound amazing! george michael is the only singer right now to fit with freddies performance, he ain't as good as freddie, but he would do it amazingly.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*Waits for 'Is Bohemian Rhapsody about AIDS?' topic.*

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

wembley86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

isnt he going through some hard times with smoking too much weed any how. he cant get his act together right now. he is throughing his career away. thats what i heard. but i think he wouldve been a good frontman. he gave me goose bumps at the tribute concert. freddie wouldve been proud!

shannon sweet
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kudilja wrote:

George is primarily pop singer, he has his own persona....although STL on tribute conert was fabulous....

I agree and as someone already wrote above, as for heavy stuff I doubt he can do well, although he was fantastic on STL. And I doubt he can produce a crazy mood like Freddie often did.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wembley86 wrote:

isnt he going through some hard times with smoking too much weed any how. he cant get his act together right now. he is throughing his career away. thats what i heard. but i think he wouldve been a good frontman. he gave me goose bumps at the tribute concert. freddie wouldve been proud!

george michael is touring right now, he said he will stop some years ago but now he is touring again :) and the voice is still 10+