Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie Mercurys terrible solocarreer

forum rss feed
Author

Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 441 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie is in the spotlight again with this greatest hits album. I had a listen thru it the other day and I thought it was crap. There are many songs there with great potential. But most of all it shows how depentent he was of Brian, Roger and John. Freddie could never really do this on his own. His solotracks has such cheap instrumental tracks. Its terrible listening to all these drum machines, synths etc.

Tracks like Made In Heaven and I was born To love you shows how much impact Brian and Roger really had. The difference is shocking.

Freddie mercury on his own? Not a good idea.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about the Barcelona tracks?
The Great Pretender?
I think those sound great.

I agree with you on Made in Heaven and I Was Born To Love You.The synths and drum machines work on Love Kills though.

Killed by drones.
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To another Roger,
I agree with you. Freddie's solo songs are for the most part pure crap. I could never understand why he like doing disco so much. Especially at that time when disco was on the way out.

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 441 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didnt mean to put Freddie down at all. Its just annoying to listen to all these Freddie fanatics among the Queenfans. They tend to think he was Queen alone, which he definitely wasnt.

Freddie is great at the stuff he can. But never underestimate the contribution from the other Queenmembers. It was vital. I think most Queen fans know this. At least those who have a little experience with music themselves.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to agree the first album was a mess in terms of the music and production. And I hated it at first.. but I've learned to appreciate the cheesy synths and stuff.

But I think nearly everything else was top-notch, meaning the non-album singles, Barcelona album, Time tracks.

So I wouldn't call his entire solo career terrible :) And fans didn't either.. he did have some solo hits prior to the death/remixes phase.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another Roger (re) wrote:

Its terrible listening to all these drum machines, synths etc.

C'mon, it was the mid-80's. Compared to what they have now, yes those drum machines and synths weren't all that great, they were cutting edge at the time. Don't hate the synth, blame the player.

But I kind of have to agree in general about Mercury solo. A double CD of "greatest hits"? Maybe someone was trying to be funny. What would have been funnier would be the worlds "Volume I" in really, really small print.

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree it took me time to warm to his album.

i always use to be of the opinion that brian and rogers sound and skills were more important to queen than freddie. then i heard queen and paul rodgers - ok the guitar sounds fine but it gets a bit boring after a while. thats when freddie kicks in. so i'm back to the opinion now that freddie was slightly more important to the band.

but overall queen would never have been as successful as they were without the "team" effort. no one of them was greater than the rest

freddies barcelona album sounds great cos mike moran did all the music. he's make freddie look tiny with his ability - maybe freddie hadn't the patience for all that mike did. really thinking about it mike moran was far more gifted only freddie could sing but singing isnt exactly as intense as doing complex arrangements? but of course freddie was a great songwriter and vocally presented the songs in kind of a surreal thing!!

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love freddies solo albums, no songs crap for me, if you don't like it don't listen to it.

coxy1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also agree that this album is great. How can you not even mention the brilliance of in my defence.

For some reason i have become addicted to the songs foolin around (steve brown) and Time, i dont know why but they rock

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The album sounds non-Queen because he wanted it that way. He didn't depend on the others.

And it works for the others too: Roger's Electric Fire doesn't sound like Queen because he wanted it to be different.

Brian's Back To The Light is imo better than any Queen album. It's got better drummer, better guitarist and better bassist!

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree that Freddie's solo career was terrible. I think it was brilliant. :D

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another Roger (re) wrote:

Freddie is in the spotlight again with this greatest hits album. I had a listen thru it the other day and I thought it was crap. There are many songs there with great potential. But most of all it shows how depentent he was of Brian, Roger and John. Freddie could never really do this on his own. His solotracks has such cheap instrumental tracks. Its terrible listening to all these drum machines, synths etc.

Tracks like Made In Heaven and I was born To love you shows how much impact Brian and Roger really had. The difference is shocking.

In basic freds Solostuff is fantastic, the production is very very very 80's and that's the problem. The songs are fabulous in my opinion. Made in Heaven is such a cool song. but the '95 production is much better than the 80's style. Freddie liked the 80's that's why he made the mr badguy album as he did. The Barcelona album has such a strong vocals, some vocals are amongst Freddies best.

Rompez user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Brian's Back To The Light is imo better than any Queen album. It's got better drummer, better guitarist and better bassist!

Sebastian I've always thought that you are very intelligent and thoughtful man. But when I read your recent posts I' v started to doubt. Maybe I didn't get the joke though?

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The point is Freddie's solo stuff was commercially a flop at the time.

The 1992 compilation was horrendeous especially those remixes (purely cashing in) the version of "your kind of lover" is gastly the original on mr. bad guy isnt too hot but its better than the re-hash. Im glad ive got the original mr.bad guy on cd purely as a collectors item (as its now deleted).

The Barcelona album is one jewel for me & the demo versions (mr. bad guy & barca) on the big box set from a few years ago do add extra value "money cant buy happiness" "she blows hot & cold" with brian on it "new york" & the early versions of "the fallen priest" alt lyrics etc

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think people who say Freddie's solo stuff need thier ears testing. He did some amazing stuff solo. The Barcelona album is pure genius. Only he could do it.

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scuse me??? WHat abour Barcelona? That whole album is awesome, and I love alot of Freddie's solo songs, Love Me Like There's No Tomorow for instance....

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know about all of the studio l.p. "The Great Pretender" released but some of the remixes DEFINTELY help compared to their original release on "Mr. Bad Guy" which was because they were synthesized it was just because the production and playing wasn't really that good compared to the session musicians later on...and yet I agree it is a STRONG indication that Queen were NOT Freddie's solo group like certain fans want to make it out to be and certain people in the public and media. Yes, Microwave...that was funny!

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maxpower wrote:

The point is Freddie's solo stuff was commercially a flop at the time.

That's just not true.

Love Kills hit #10
I Was Born To Love You - #11
Time - #32
The Great Pretender - #4
Barcelona - #8

That's 5 genuine chart (top 40) hits (and a few more charted lower) upon original release, prior to his death.

And even the Mr. Bad Guy album itself charted #6, and Barcelona #25.

That's not a bad amount of success for a solo career of only what, 4 years?

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

Scuse me??? WHat abour Barcelona? That whole album is awesome, and I love alot of Freddie's solo songs, Love Me Like There's No Tomorow for instance....

Oh 'Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow' is gorgeous. And I adore 'Foolin' Around', 'Time', 'Love Kills', 'The Great Pretender', 'In My Defence'. There are so many.

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 06, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bijou In Queens Crown wrote:

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

Oh 'Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow' is gorgeous. And I adore 'Foolin' Around', 'Time', 'Love Kills', 'The Great Pretender', 'In My Defence'. There are so many.

:D See, you rock! :D

I looooovvvvvveeee In My Defence, and The Great Pretender, such great songs. I prefer the original mix of Love Kills over the "rock mix" and I loovvveee your kinda lover, its just so much fun!! Freddie's solo stuff rocks! :D