Forums > Personal > Gay and Lesbian Marriage

forum rss feed
Author

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I made a survey at school, asking people what their opinions on that subject were. It's a VERY controversial subject, so much so that I had to add a new option besides "for", "against", and "neutral". I had to add "not comfortable speaking about it". :/
In fact, when I asked someone to pass the survey to the person behind them, they refused to because they didn't want to be assosiated with it. This one kid had the nerve to whisper and point at me. When I said, "What?" he shook his head as if to say, "nothing!". I was surprised at how ignorant they were, too. A few actually said ( whispered, actually ), "But.. if you put "for", it mean you're *gay*!"
So I would like to know your opinions. Are you for it? Are you against it? Are you neutral? Or are you just not comfortable talking about it? Please give explanations ( except if you've chosen "not comfortable" ).
AND PLEASE POST ONLY ONCE. I want to tally up the results, and it'll make it a lot simpler. Thank you! :-)

-Things Have Changed For Me-
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you ask me, I'm not against it at all. I have nothing against gay/lesbian people. I respect and let them live their lifes. :)

Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have absolutely NOTHING against gay/lesbian people. No matter what government, or whatever, does to stop them, or seperate gay couples, they will still always be around. I actually respect them quite a lot. :D

I'm for it! Power to gay people! :D

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marriage is about love not gender. I'm definetly for gay marriage. I think it's ridiculous that people are still debating this. There is no reason for it. It's like when African Americans and women weren't allowed to vote. It's so ridiculous! One day people will realize how stupid they are being and just let them get married.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm for it.

What's wrong if they get married? What kind of negative consequences there would be in my life? None. So, let them live their lifes in peace.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am for it. If it's such a problem to call it "marriage" call it something else.
Ya, the Church is against it, so have it done by the state.

My uncle and his spouse were the first (or one of the firsts) gay couple to get married in Massachusetts. I think that's pretty groovy.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well if gays can get married why can't my goat and I hitch up?

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see what the big stink is about.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All for it. Not allowing it means discrimination, and it's a basic human right to be treated equally (Universal Declaration Of Human Rights, article 1: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.(...)"). So that means a gay person has just as much right to get married as a straight person in my ears. Anyone opposing this is guilty of violating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and thus, IMHO, guilty of crimes against humanity.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The government has no right or power to institute marriage. Therefore, homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married under the state, and neither should heterosexuals.

Of course, I do realize how unrealistic this is. Therefore, I believe that homosexuals should be allowed to marry, on the grounds that their union does not infringe upon the rights of any others. Therefore, legislation against it is a SEVERE overstepping of our government's powers, and an ATROCIOUS curtailment of our natural liberties. We must do all we can to preserve our absolute negative liberties, whether we are or are not directly involved with the issue at hand.

This has nothing to do with love, and everything to do with freedom.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im not gay, so, i really shouldnt fight against it, because t doesnt affect me, which also means Im not going to campaign for it. But, my personal opinion is, if they want to get hitched, if they love eachother, im all for it!!

The way I see it, is, how would i feel if a bunch of gay people started protesting against heterosexual marraige, when I want ti get married? What if they called it sick and wrong and told me I was going to hell for it? I would feel pretty fucking lousy, thats for sure. So, my opnion, live and let live!

Peace baby, peace.

BRYCE THE TROLL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#FF00FF">its_a_hard_life wrote:

If you ask me, I'm not against it at all. I have nothing against gay/lesbian people. I respect and let them live their lifes. :)

second

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, these people have the right to express their love in whatever way they wish. So, i'm not against it totally.

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
no one but you 28112 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingarthur wrote:

well if gays can get married why can't my goat and I hitch up?

Becouse gays are people too.You know that or that's news for you?But goat is not human.
I have nothing against them. If 2 people love each other and marriage would made them happy why not? It's just a signature on a paper.
They should have the same rights as evry other person

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not just a signature on a paper, it's a legal contract with far reaching consequences. If you are married you have rights and duties which are protected by the state. Therefore it is discriminating if gay people have no right to get married or to have some other sort of legally protected partnership which equals marriage. In Germany we have had gay marriages since 2004 and it helped gays to be accepted in society.

kingarthur, if a goat does it for you, I am all for it - if mutual consent is guaranteed.

I do not want any google ads here.

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoever wants to get married should be allowed to do so...goats and all.

Bahhh baahhhhh

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*BUMP* And a big thank you to those who have voted! :-D

-Things Have Changed For Me-
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm definately all for it.
It's funny listening to the arguments against it that people have. Like, gays are going to hell...well, if you can prove it (which means proving that hell exits) then I'll believe it. Or that because god said it's bad they can't...well, prove to me that got exists and that he said that, and I'll buy it. Or that it's damaging the institution of marriage...nope, 24 hour marriage houses in Las Vegas (and same day annulments) are more of a threat here.
Bottom line, the government shouldn't have the right to sanction marriage at all, because marriage is a religious state and a religious event, and the seperation of church and state clause would mean that government recognizing marriage is a violation of that clause. But since the government has chosen to recognize marriage and place all of the benefits on it that it has, then it should make marriage legal for everyone who are consenting adults, whatever their race, color, creed, sexual preferences, whatever.

Formerly MHG
eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it really depends. my religion forbids it... i'm catholic. but putting the religion thing aside, i'd be okay with it. :)

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMU HistoryGirl wrote:

Bottom line, the government shouldn't have the right to sanction marriage at all, because marriage is a religious state and a religious event, and the seperation of church and state clause would mean that government recognizing marriage is a violation of that clause. But since the government has chosen to recognize marriage and place all of the benefits on it that it has, then it should make marriage legal for everyone who are consenting adults, whatever their race, color, creed, sexual preferences, whatever.

I don't think that marriage is a religious event, but rather that religion has been the means by which marriage has been traditionally carried out. The romantic union of two people is something inherent in all of us, as is the security of the certification of marriage.

The reason that the government doesn't have the right to sanction marriage is primarily due to the rights that are granted to married couples - rights that the government really has NO power to grant! Marriage should merely be an enforeceable legal contract that is formed by any two (or more, even) persons (forbidding any particular person or group from making such a contract is a SEVERE infringement of our negative liberties). Marriage should not provide implicit benefits from the law or government, but rather, the only benefits should come from the agreements of the two or more persons.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.