Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Darkness/Queen comparisons

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 06, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, I will admit I only know 2 or 3 songs by The Darkness, but if I read one more time about how they allegedley sound like Queen, I am going to puke blood! Sorry folks, but comparing Freddie with Gimptard of The Darkness, all I can figure to say is, they don't sound alike. You see, Freddie did not get his nuts caught in a tractor before he recorded his vocals. Comparing that guy to Freddie is like comparing George W. Bush to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Each guy on opposite ends with all others located in various places in between. I sound better than Gimptard. The Darkness must be named after some affliction of Darkness covering the ears of all these deaf ones who compare the worst band I have heard since the Spin Doctors with Queen.

mhoman00 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First off, I don't think we can compare Justin Hawkins or "gimptard" to Freddie. They are two different singers. The Queen sounds come in the style of the music and the BrianMayesque guitar solos that Hawkins rips off. Alot of The Darkness format is similar to Queen's...just listen to the song English Country Garden off the newest album. And it is true, if you want to compare the singers, that they both have similar falsettos. My favorite band is Queen and I would take Freddie over any other lead singer, but The Darkness ROCK as well! They certainly take some of there roots from Queen, but you can also hear some AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith in there. I think one member is quoted as saying that The Darkness are a straight version of QUeen and a gay version of AC/DC...I think that is pretty accurate. And to the narrow-minded twit who has only heard 2 or 3 of The Darkness' songs...DON'T SPEAK unless you know what what you are talking about!

Crezchi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like The Darkness much, but i do hear very slight simularities. Yes they have some talent, if they didn't they wouldn't be famous! hahahaha lol disreguard that last statement, i just remembered Paris Hilton just released a cd. lol This is just wrong! lol

Hello you rock and rollers!
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only similarity is the voice of the lead singer. Not the quality of it, but rather the sound. I honestly, for the life of me, can't draw any more similarities between the two bands, Miss James...

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't get me wrong. My Queen obsession has nothing to do with my dislike of The Darkness. There are bands that are NOTHING like Queen that I like and dislike. I am just amazed that I could hate a band so much, and that band also coincidently be compared to Queen. The vocalist sounds as much like Freddie as a fart sounds like the Red Special. I used to think Geddy Lee of Rush had the worst voice in the world... and then came The Darkness.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the early geddy lee voice was pretty horrid I must say, but the band (rush) was great. I do hear some things that I like from the darkness, despite the annoying singing. Most will disagree, but I actually think the guitarist comes close at times to the sound of brian may. Listen to "hell and back" and you'll hear some queen sounding guitar work.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think the "straight queen / gay ac/dc" analogy is spot on

the second album is smattered with tributes/inspirations of "back in black"
there are "almost perfect lifts" from songs like "giving the dog a bone" "shoot to thrill" and "have a drink on me"...added to that are some very queen I/queen 2 sounds...

and although the Dankness (deliberate) are not one of my faves...you can't knock em for liking/being inspired by some great bands

go deo na h√Čireann
olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my band have based ourselves of Queen but cover it up slightly if you know what I mean. We get a lot of shit because at the age of 17-19 you "shouldnt" be influenced by Queen. Check out our website and tell me what you think.
www.myspace.com/joonrock

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Don't get me wrong. My Queen obsession has nothing to do with my dislike of The Darkness. There are bands that are NOTHING like Queen that I like and dislike. I am just amazed that I could hate a band so much, and that band also coincidently be compared to Queen. The vocalist sounds as much like Freddie as a fart sounds like the Red Special. I used to think Geddy Lee of Rush had the worst voice in the world... and then came The Darkness.

Geddy Lee's voice is just DIFFERENT - Rush have made some of the finest rock music on the planet! - always inventive, aspiring and original - never sold out - ever. If u don't like it don't but it - but keep it 2 yourself - Rush have been touring for 30years+ - must be doin somethin right

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANAGRAMER wrote:

AmeriQueen wrote:

Geddy Lee's voice is just DIFFERENT - Rush have made some of the finest rock music on the planet! - always inventive, aspiring and original - never sold out - ever. If u don't like it don't but it - but keep it 2 yourself - Rush have been touring for 30years+ - must be doin somethin right

As for the Darkness - great band - tought times for them just now - they'll b back on form and deserve to be

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

olly1988 wrote:

my band have based ourselves of Queen but cover it up slightly if you know what I mean. We get a lot of shit because at the age of 17-19 you "shouldnt" be influenced by Queen. Check out our website and tell me what you think.
www.myspace.com/joonrock

Sorry mate - had a listen - harmony guitars do not Queen make! - been pro musician 4 20 years - can I say that the playing is very good - but u need to b more concise in songwriting - and dump your singer - sorry to be blunt

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

didnt they steal the riff off hammer to fall on permission to land album??

icefire user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

darkness is great..they behave rather funny though their music's seriousness is real..the fact that he sings in falsetto doesn't mean that the band is a crap..darkness is queen sounding a bit (guitars and voices) but this is rather an infuence not a copy!!

Bohemian Rahpsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 105 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To the young man of seventeen that said one 'shouldn't be influenced by Queen' and that you 'get a lot of s**t for it', I sympathise with you. I'm fourteen, living on a desert Island (Western Australia), and the amount of muck I get for being a Queen fan, and although I am not gay, I am happy to admit that I am madly in love with Freddie (contradiction a bit there I know.) I recentley saw a clip from Live Aid. You cannot beat Queen, Freddie was a god send, so to those who give you fesis, I say you rock the house out with a Queen hit, and I defy the unartistic gits not to start moving when they hear it.

My apologies for the ferrocity of my speach, but I have been getting more crap than usuall latley, that got it of my chest.

Thank you, keep rocking,

B.R

Freddies Lover
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Darkness = Queen on acid

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen and The Darkness have SO much more in common than the singing voices. One similarity, that hasn't been mentioned, is the showmanship! Anyone ever been to a Darkness concert? AMAZING!! So much crowd interaction, it isn't funny...just as a Freddie-charged show. Also, for those who HAVEN'T listened to both The Darkness albums, so many songs are Queen-influenced. I recommend getting the first CD (Permission to Land) and listening to "Love on the Rocks with no Ice"...guitars and song format are remarkably similar...I'm not saying that The Darkness are a Queen cover band or that they are exactly alike...because that would be unoriginal. For those of you who hate The Darkness, you have your right...but you need to actually listen to all their music before you can put a brand on them. For me The Darkness return the 70's-80's rock that I LOVE and add their own little bit as well. Also, as a side note, Roy Thomas Baker produced the newest album One Way Ticket to Hell and Back, and the piano that was used on BoRap is used on the CD. Darkness' lead singer is hopefully to be out of rehab very soon and a 3rd album is scheduled to come out next year!

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Olly1988...I think your sound is AWESOME! Reading through your MySpace profile...lead singer sounds like the guy from the Scorpions. You guys really bring back that 80's sound...good luck with everything. Nice synths too on the "Walk like you don't care" song. Don't know how much like Queen it sounds like though...maybe a few of the guitars. The backing harmonies sound more like something off of Brian's "Back to the Light" album, which isn't bad at all! Good luck!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

olly1988 wrote:

www.myspace.com/joonrock

you sound more like foreigner than anything else
and the guitar sound a very whitesnake

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mhoman00 wrote:

Queen and The Darkness have SO much more in common than the singing voices. One similarity, that hasn't been mentioned, is the showmanship! Anyone ever been to a Darkness concert? AMAZING!! So much crowd interaction, it isn't funny...just as a Freddie-charged show. Also, for those who HAVEN'T listened to both The Darkness albums, so many songs are Queen-influenced. I recommend getting the first CD (Permission to Land) and listening to "Love on the Rocks with no Ice"...guitars and song format are remarkably similar...I'm not saying that The Darkness are a Queen cover band or that they are exactly alike...because that would be unoriginal. For those of you who hate The Darkness, you have your right...but you need to actually listen to all their music before you can put a brand on them. For me The Darkness return the 70's-80's rock that I LOVE and add their own little bit as well. Also, as a side note, Roy Thomas Baker produced the newest album One Way Ticket to Hell and Back, and the piano that was used on BoRap is used on the CD. Darkness' lead singer is hopefully to be out of rehab very soon and a 3rd album is scheduled to come out next year!

Well, maybe I will download 2 or 3 more tracks, including your reccomendation.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 06, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think their Christmas song was one of the best songs I've heard in years. Don't know why they never play it over here.