Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Father to Son Acetate

forum rss feed
Author

mv45 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 06, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the interested - currently ebay is having an auction for a father to son acetate. Does anyone has any information on this disc? It claims to be a different version as the one released.

Rgds,
Mark

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 06, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There will be a button somewhere with "contact seller" on it. The person on the other end of that button can answer your question better than we can.

mv45 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

funny - i was in fact wondering whether this specific disc was known by any of the collectors here, whether any of the reliable people here knew where this disc came from, had been offered this one before personally, knew about the history of the disc etc.
I know that in many cases, ebay sellers wil be very good sales men, if you know what i mean

Did anyone come across this acetate before?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This specific one? No.
But one rarely comes across an acetate with the same tracks twice in a lifetime.
Realise that acetates were moslty pressed in an amount that is countable on one hand.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is the kind of record that separates the men from the boys... haha.

If I only had the money...

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whats the going price now?

MY GOD spell it write.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevermind, I thought it already ended.
Figure it will go over $500 easy

MY GOD spell it write.
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't this just the sort of thing QPL should be buying up?

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Isn't this just the sort of thing QPL should be buying up?

Not if it contains the regular mix

The Real Wizard

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why would they waste the time and money to press an acetate with the final mix? An acetate was meant to create a document of a work in progress. They listen to it a few times, then discard it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Why would they waste the time and money to press an acetate with the final mix? An acetate was meant to create a document of a work in progress. They listen to it a few times, then discard it.

Hehe, I'm never one to pretend to be an expert on things I have very little knowledge of, but I do in fact know that one of the main purposes of cutting an acetate is to see how a song 'cuts' as a record. So it's not necessarily reserved for early mixes/versions. Could easily be the final mix if it played well without distortion and such.

It's been noted numerous times that Queen liked to push levels as high as they could. Could be the usual mix but a test to see how loud they get it, or something :)

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1420 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have several reference acetates/tapes/CDs and some of them DO have the final mixes.

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactely...
The purpose of making an acetate is to test/hear how the sound will be on vinyl. If it's good then the exact same version will be pressed on vinyl...

For everyone who likes this topic I found a cool documentary about acetates, testpressings and how they are made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik

The Real Wizard

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bubbles! wrote:

Hehe, I'm never one to pretend to be an expert on things I have very little knowledge of, but I do in fact know that one of the main purposes of cutting an acetate is to see how a song 'cuts' as a record. So it's not necessarily reserved for early mixes/versions. Could easily be the final mix if it played well without distortion and such.

Interesting stuff. I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, Bubbles.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 06, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We could always ask Greg about his opinion on this matter, but he's too busy stirring up the shit to read interesting posts.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 30 Sep 06, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I AM GREG BROOKS, THE GREATEST MOANZONER OF ALL TIME.

THIS ACETATE IS GARBAGE. IT DOESN'T BELONG TO QUEEN PRODUCTIONS, SO IT IS THEREFORE A FAKE. WHY WOULD WE MISPLACE OR LET GO ANYTHING OF VALUE?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 06, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't agree with you Bob, an acetate is a reference disc. To see if the volumes, bass, treble, etc. is right. So it can be done with a finished version as well

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 06, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right, Niek.

Though in this case, the track on the disc MUST be interesting as it should be a stand-alone version.
No Procession up front - No White Queen after. I suspect it's just fade-in and fade-out, but then again...

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 06, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I agree with Bubbles statement - '...it's not necessarily reserved for early mixes/versions...' - I know from personal experience, that some actetaes DO contain different mixes or versions. A closer reading of Wilki's posting - also demonstrates this to be true:

Wilki Amieva: I have several reference acetates/tapes/CDs and SOME of them DO have the final mixes.

Therefore we can also conclude that the remainder of Wilki's acetates DO in fact contain different mixes, and this particular 'Father To Son' acetate on e-bay is being sold as just that - a very different mix indeed.

'QUEEN: Father To Sun - UK Trident acetate -
Here is a very rare Queen item. This is a UK one sided, 10" inch Trident acetate copy of 'Father To Sun'. This version is different from the released one. (diff.vocal, mix & end)'. Although I accept the stand-alone ending theory (diff... end), that still does not account for the differences in both the mix and vocal. From this description I would conclude this is an earlier version or take, and IS a 'work in progress' type acetate.

On a personal level, I am a little perturbed it has show up in here, as I would have liked to have bought it without the additional competition and subsequent rise in both demand and value (and people ask me how I come across such rarities!). But that is me being perfectly honest.

On a more altruistic level, I think that PG is absolutely correct: '...this (is indeed) just the sort of thing QPL should be buying up...', and once in the hands of a private collector - why should they freely share what legally and rightfully becomes their hard-earned property?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."