Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Would 'Delilah' have ever made into Innuendo...

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...if Freddie didn't have a foot on the grave?

I seriously doubt it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you are stating the bleeding obvious.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Rikke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian said he really liked "Delilah", so I don't think it had much to do with Freddie's health.

And I don't see why it would - Delilah is a fantastic song =D

I'm going slightly mad
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Delilah, I think it's freaky cool :D

My mom was disapointed that he loves cats though, she hates them you see, haha.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you are right, Jingles. I get the feeling that a lot of stuff from those lost albums only made it because Freddie was dying. Not that it's bad stuff...don't get me wrong.

Formerly MHG
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man on the Prowl, Pain is So Close to Pleasure, and most of Hot Space, indicate that one doesn't have to be dying to have a less-than-stellar song get on the album.

It's all a matter of opinion, I think Delilah is pretty naff myself but I still enjoy listening to it. It's a no bullshit song about his cats for fucks sake, what did you expect??

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think 'Delilah' is a bad song, but for Queen standards is just beyond the point of sillyness, especially for an album like 'Innuendo'.

For a band like Spinal Tap or Frank Zappa, whose work is well known for having a common dose of humor it wouldn't be a bad thing.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Man on the Prowl, Pain is So Close to Pleasure, and most of Hot Space, indicate that one doesn't have to be dying to have a less-than-stellar song get on the album.

It's all a matter of opinion, I think Delilah is pretty naff myself but I still enjoy listening to it. It's a no bullshit song about his cats for fucks sake, what did you expect??
lmaooo

xD

Delilah sucks

poor fucking cat, Freddie could do better

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

that's your stupid opinion about hot space and pain and pleasure, I happen to think hot space rocks and pain and pleasure is catchy enough to be good. rock fans are so closed minded.

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I don't think 'Delilah' is a bad song, but for Queen standards is just beyond the point of sillyness, especially for an album like 'Innuendo'.

For a band like Spinal Tap or Frank Zappa, whose work is well known for having a common dose of humor it wouldn't be a bad thing.
are trying to say that queen didn't have humor?...Queen were known for their humor, and delilah is right up queens (freddie) ally. For me it's a typical freddie song, not his best obviously but still typical freddie. I actually enjoy the song, I don't see what the big fuss is about.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a silly song...we've all agreed to that. However, silly doesn't mean bad. What Jingles is trying to say is that Innuendo is an album that has some awesome stuff on it, but like most Queen albumns, as a certain mood to it. Granted, the moods changed with the CD's they produced, but most albums had a general mood (close to prog rock for Queen II, more poppy for Kind of Magic, etc.) Delilah was just a song that was totally different from the mood on the CD, and almost seems like it didn't fit there. It definately raised my eyebrow the first time I listed to Innuendo.

Formerly MHG
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

that's your stupid opinion about hot space and pain and pleasure, I happen to think hot space rocks and pain and pleasure is catchy enough to be good. rock fans are so closed minded.

no, shut the fuck up, you are the closed minded.

You think that anything that might have the Queen name on it, it's great and the best thing ever

wake up, Queen is not always the best

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Delilah. I've got a nice sence of humour as well... but I enjoy it. I like it better than a lot of Brian's songs he's sung on.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Your stupid opinion is more stupid than my stupid opinion.

See - it sounds ridiculous when it's played back to you, doesn't it?

And whats more - didn't you go on record as saying Barcelona was better than anything Queen did in the 80's? I was rather under the impression you didn't like their 80's stuff much. Make up your freakin' mind.

Different strokes, asshole - so Hot Space doesn't do it for me. Unfortunately, they can't arrest me for that.

And you know what?

Never once did I say I hated Man On The Prowl, Pain Is So Close to Pleasure, or Hot Space. I said they were less-than-stellar. It just means they're not 'high art' or anything, it doesn't mean I hate them or they're crap... jeeze!

I think you're making shit up.
And I'm not freakin' close minded. There is absolutely nothing close minded about listening to music I've not heard before, which I do on a pretty regular basis....

But I forgive you.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if the important question is to ask whether Freddie would've written it in the first place, had he not been dying. But the fact that it's on there, I don't believe, is in question.

Adam.

thenymphinyellow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hehehehe!! I love Delilah! its so happy! and I love the line about delilah peeing on his chipendale suit!! it never fails to put a smile on my face!.... however, I agree that its not one of their greatest songs... but its still good!!

"One dump, one turd, two tits, John Deacon. One heart, one goal, one sex position." haha... oh dear!!
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

imho 'Delilah' is a little too cute, but the mouthbox guitar is interesting -- drum machines don't nearly match Roger. I love cats also but rather "Lost Opportunity" on the album instead

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have preferred Face It Alone to be honest, and if he had to write a song about his cats why didn't he do a Noel Coward type piece on the piano? Still, it's a good song, it lightens the mood a bit.

hj
The Fake Greg Brooks user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fake Greg Brooks
Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, they were originally going to use a song about Brian's parakeet. But Delilah ate him.

Posted: 03 Oct 06, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

M a t i a s M a y<h6><i>QZ's Rainmaker wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

no, shut the fuck up, you are the closed minded.

You think that anything that might have the Queen name on it, it's great and the best thing ever

wake up, Queen is not always the best
your right!...queen + paul sucks. See, I don't like everything with the queen name on it.