Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Piano and Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Miss Multiples aka colfarrell1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Miss Multiples aka colfarrell1
Bohemian: 411 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

4 I believe


I love you,Beata!
Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^Both! They're both great!

Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He studied up to level 4 but it doesn't mean anybody at that level was as good as he was, and viceversa.

Otherwise we should assume Ringo Starr was equally good as guitarist compared to Steve Howe since neither one of them studied guitar academically (thus they both were "level 0").


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 06, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

He studied up to level 4 but it doesn't mean anybody at that level was as good as he was, and viceversa.

Otherwise we should assume Ringo Starr was equally good as guitarist compared to Steve Howe since neither one of them studied guitar academically (thus they both were "level 0").

Ringo can do anything ;)


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Ringo can do anything ;)

I don't doubt that, but of course the reason isn't his academic upbringing.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In an early biography (c1975-76) it states Freddie learnt piano to grade 5. I agree he and Elton John are both great players and showmen, but I think it's widely acknowledged Elton is far more accomplished on the piano. I love Feddie's little improvised pieces before certain songs.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm better than Freddie.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> In an early biography (c1975-76) it states Freddie learnt piano to grade 5. I agree he and Elton John are both great players and showmen, but I think it's widely acknowledged Elton is far more accomplished on the piano. I love Feddie's little improvised pieces before certain songs

Good point. OTOH Fred said in a Jap mag in '74 that he studied up to grade IV.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've also heard that he studied up to grade IV. Strange.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He had in interesting style. Look at his wrist. He drops it way down while playing, so you know he was probably self taught.

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nationofhaircuts44 wrote:

I love Feddie's little improvised pieces before certain songs.


ditto!
Everytime I hear his pianoplaying, I feel his grounding in classic piano and taste for it as well. Both in albums and on stages, I think it makes Queen music sophisticated, even in the erotic tunes.
His piano is one of the most important elements in what Queen music is.


Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My actual favourite piece of piano improvisation is just before Lap of the God revisited from Earls Court video. so much emotion contained within.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

He had in interesting style. Look at his wrist. He drops it way down while playing, so you know he was probably self taught.


He wasn't. Or maybe he was to a certain degree.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you mean? Is there a level system? If so, how could one truly gauge between speed/accuracy vs. sound alone? I'd say he's good enough.

Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 06, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>I love Freddie wrote:

coops wrote:

He had in interesting style. Look at his wrist. He drops it way down while playing, so you know he was probably self taught.


He wasn't. Or maybe he was to a certain degree.


No, actually, Freddie took piano lessons while attending St. Peter's Boarding School in Panchgani, India.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 06, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="0066CC">Queen_Rox wrote:

<font color=pink>I love Freddie wrote:

coops wrote:

He had in interesting style. Look at his wrist. He drops it way down while playing, so you know he was probably self taught.


He wasn't. Or maybe he was to a certain degree.


No, actually, Freddie took piano lessons while attending St. Peter's Boarding School in Panchgani, India.



True. But I do believe Freddie did play piano before taking lessons. He must have. No sane teacher would ever teach anyone to do that thing with the wrists that Freddie does. That must have come from him.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 06, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>I love Freddie wrote:

<font color="0066CC">Queen_Rox wrote:

<font color=pink>I love Freddie wrote:

coops wrote:

He had in interesting style. Look at his wrist. He drops it way down while playing, so you know he was probably self taught.


He wasn't. Or maybe he was to a certain degree.


No, actually, Freddie took piano lessons while attending St. Peter's Boarding School in Panchgani, India.



True. But I do believe Freddie did play piano before taking lessons. He must have. No sane teacher would ever teach anyone to do that thing with the wrists that Freddie does. That must have come from him.


Oh, yeah! I remembered reading somewhere that he played something for his aunt and she thought he was really good. I'm not sure, it was before his attendance at St. Peter's Boarding School. Thanks!