Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Lossless/MP3 from a collector's point of view

forum rss feed
Author

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've noticed that a lot of collectors claim that they don't share their recordings on QueenZone because they are afraid that the QueenZone community could share them as lossy MP3's.

That is, of course, BULLSHIT - LIE - STUPID EXCUSE.

The collectors tend to offer weird excuses because it looks better if they say "we won't share that because you would spread it in MP3's" instead of "we won't share because we don't want to", right?

The truth is that the collectors don't share because (1.) they don't want to or (2.) they are forbidden to or (3.) they don't have time/connection for it or (4.) they keep rare recordings for special trades only.

Which is, IMO, perfectly okay!!! It's democracy, nobody should be forced to anything. And after all, the big collectors on QueenZone indeed never share anything - and if they do, it's only because that recording is not rare anymore. Or to improve their reputation :-)

I'm one of the collectors and I defend them where possible but in the same time I absolutely hate hypocrisy. And I know some of my opinions might sound arrogant or unpleasant but at least they are honest...

(And I do know that MP3's are pain in ass. I don't trade them, I'm not happy at all when I (scarcely) receive them in a trade. But I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be shared. Some people simply prefer MP3's, some prefer FLAC. MP3's are often more than sufficient - I don't really need to have the 5ive version of WWRY in FLAC or WAV or on original CD).

frank39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"But I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be shared. Some people simply prefer MP3's, some prefer FLAC. MP3's are often more than sufficient - I don't really need to have the 5ive version of WWRY in FLAC or WAV or on original CD). "

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no problem with MP3s being shared but I think that people who want MP3s would benefit if they learned how to download and convert to MP3 on their own rather than asking someone to torrent them. There are many sites with great shows in FLAC that they can download and convert for personal use. I learned how to convert and I have a larger collection for personal listening because I learned.
If people are going to remain ignorant to FLAC, they may never get the great shows shared on other sites in FLAC. To me, that's biting your nose to spite your face.
I realize that there are those that can't down load FLAC due to small hard drives or whatever other reasons there may be , but there will always be good people In QZ that can help them out
so they can enjoy these shows too.

"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem is the twats who put the MP3's (or worse) onto CDs and sell them on eBay. Even some factory pressed bootlegs are from shared lossy formats. Not good. Not good at all.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree there and it's very good to have an opinion from an excellent collector on this never-ending discussion,I'd rather have Bophutaswana'84 or New Zealand'85 in mp3 than Wembley'86 in flac

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i would like to add another point to this interesting debate.
yes, many of us have both mp3s and flacs..(i will on a 10mb connection happily download both) personally, i prefer the convenience and space-saving of mps3 over flacs...and if burned to cd nicely...most (please note use of word MOST) live shows don't sound any better in flac...once a source has deteriorated degraded beyond first/second gen tape...the hiss and crap will more than eradicate any "perceived quality gain" from using flac - unfortunately, the old addage - "shit in = shit out" still stands

however, this ain't my main point....some people ask for mp3s because of internet download restrictions - which come in all shapes and sizes

1. time they can actually be on the net
2. bandwidth/cap restrictions on downloading placed by the isp
3. inconvenience of location...someone on here trying to get a gig that's being seeded will depend on the "seeder" having their pc switched on....well as we are all very global far-flung...some pcs will be off when we go to bed...hence a dramatic reduction in seeding

flacs will take at least 5 times as long to download, and occupy five times as much hard drive space...add to that the fatc they users will be using five times as much of their "isp download cap"...and you can understand why some almost beg for mp3s...so please don;t go too hard on people when they ask...mind you, some of em could ask in a nicer fashion...

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed - for example my ISP has set a data transfer limit of 2 GB per month for me - you get the point.

Anyway, my main point wasn't about differences between MP3 and FLAC. My main point was about the hypocrisy of certain Queen collectors on QueenZone.

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So why does the Queen community have such a bad reputation?
If a taper ask a certain show not shared as mp3, shouldnt we respect that?
When the taper refuse to share his recording because he dont want it to end up as mp3 on sites as this, then there is something wrong.

And why do people want NZ 85 or Bophutaswana'84 instead of Wembley? Just because it`s rare? Is it a good show? Lets see these two were shared by one of the excellent collectors which have some of them. When you got them, then there is always new rare items you want, and so it goes on.

I think its also very easy for excellent collectors with many rare shows on audio and video to say this reputation dont bother them. Ofcourse it doesnt. They have many shows most people can dream of already, so why care...

Yeah, i mixed it all up now. I just needed a blowout, cous people here will never learn this, and this way we will miss many new discoveries. Too bad the attitude cant be changed, its all very sad really.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Indeed - for example my ISP has set a data transfer limit of 2 GB per month for me - you get the point.

Anyway, my main point wasn't about differences between MP3 and FLAC. My main point was about the hypocrisy of certain Queen collectors on QueenZone.

Personally I don't know any people that say they don't share here because they are afraid of stuff being converted to lossy formats...

About the sharing of mp3's in here...?
Well you can read my honest opinion in one of the other 25 topics about this.
(The RT DVD download topic)

frank39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

The problem is the twats who put the MP3's (or worse) onto CDs and sell them on eBay. Even some factory pressed bootlegs are from shared lossy formats. Not good. Not good at all.
Totally right:
I bought Vienna 86 on ebay, beautiful 6 side booklet, silver pressed double cd:
Checked it with TAU: result was a mpeg source. Sic!
And BTW:
you can download the first and last concert of the Queen Jazz tour from my website: in both flac and mp3

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If a taper ask a certain show not shared as mp3, shouldnt we respect that?"

Yes, we should! But that's not what's happening here on QZ. Here the anti-mp3 requests are made by collectors who don't record or share anything.

"And why do people want NZ 85 or Bophutaswana'84 instead of Wembley? Just because it`s rare? Is it a good show? Lets see these two were shared by one of the excellent collectors which have some of them. When you got them, then there is always new rare items you want, and so it goes on."

That's true :-) Many people want something only because they heard it's "rare".

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw: I found that I DO know somebody that SAYS he/she is NOT sharing out of fright of conversion to lossy.
But I wonder if this person WOULD realy share anything if the climate would have been different.

(Martin's point of this topic, I believe? ;-)

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Btw: I found that I DO know somebody that SAYS he/she is NOT sharing out of fright of conversion to lossy.
But I wonder if this person WOULD realy share anything if the climate would have been different.

(Martin's point of this topic, I believe? ;-)

Yes :-) and I'm sure there are more of them...

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the title you chose for this topic is slightly misleading! ;-)

Maybe you should call it
'The return of the annual who's the biggest undiscovered hypocrit on Queenzone threat part 63'!

...but then Barb would probalby have to moved you to another section of the board :-)

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The collectors tend to offer weird excuses because it looks better if they say "we won't share that because you would spread it in MP3's"

as far as i know i don't know any MP3 player like iPod reading flac or other.

i download flacs or other lossy formats and I convert them to MP3 to ear them on my iPod, untill a MP3 player that can play flac is out in the market

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

popy wrote:

"The collectors tend to offer weird excuses because it looks better if they say "we won't share that because you would spread it in MP3's"

as far as i know i don't know any MP3 player like iPod reading flac or other.

i download flacs or other lossy formats and I convert them to MP3 to ear them on my iPod, untill a MP3 player that can play flac is out in the market
There is at least 1 player that
supports FLAC, It's made by Cowan called I audio.
I purchased it last year soley to listen to these concerts in FLAC and MP3.

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

popy wrote:

as far as i know i don't know any MP3 player like iPod reading flac or other. (1)

i download flacs or other lossy formats... (2)

(2) This is the whole issue, dear: flac is NOT lossy, as a matter of fact it is totally lossLESS!

(1)That's because MP3 players and iPods are for people that don't care about listening to only half the sound that the musician initially chose to put to record plus a lot of high-frequency noise.

I found out someone intended to give me an iPod or MP3 player as a gift - just in time to talk that rediciolous idea out of her head. lol.
I'm sorry - but I would not want to be found dead with an MP3-player stuck in my ear...

Nah, seriously. I realy cannot understand how people can listen to MP3's... Especially on headphones, which makes it even worse!
Are my ears realy SO much better then other people's??

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This player suppors FLAC and WAV
http://onlinestore.cowonamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172

Kenneth E. Sandvær user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 06, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think FLAC and other lossless formats are great. Then I can have good quality and convert it to anything i like for my portable player.

If ppl wanna share lossless format its good, but more important I think is to get copies with better quality. Cos many concert shared is in bad quality even if they where in lossless format. But I just downlaod what I like and share if i get anything to share.

When I look for other bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, I find a lot of stuff in really nice quality compared to what I find of Queen, but lately I have found more and more interesting Queen things on the net :D