Forums > Queen - General Discussion > My Fairy King instead of Bo Rhap?

forum rss feed
Author

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No doubt in my mind: NO!

By the way; are you sure about your quote? I can only remember Brian saying something like that about March of the Black Queen!?

Elizabeth Knightson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't if My Fairy King would've had the same impact as Bo Rhap, but I do prefer MFK to BR...maybe because, they talk too much about Bo Rhap (but can you really talk too much about a Queen song?)

Little Delilah
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'My Fairy King' was by far the most complex, sophisticated and original song in the first album (and that's very hard to achieve to begin with!). But of course 'Bo Rhap' is more complex, more sophisticated, more original and above all, much more listeneable and catchy.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Gone. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 7178 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would vote for My Fairy King instead of Bo Rhap...My Fairy King just...sounds better. :D...I can't really explain. It is a very underrated song. ;D

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Fairy King would never have been a hit. Not even a top 30 hit probably.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not about the year IMO, but the fact Queen were already in the map. Had they released 'Bo Rhap' as their debut single, it'd have probably been regarded as too eccentric.

But at the time they issued it, the public was already used to risky extreme singles ('Keep Yourself Alive', 'Seven Seas Of Rhye', 'Killer Queen', 'Flick Of The Wrist' and for a lesser extent 'Now I'm Here').

Of course most of 'Bo Rhap's popularity was because it's a masterpiece in its own way, but the fact they'd already set the ground, and promotion, surely helped, as did all those absurd urban myths (134, 180 or 200 voices, and so on).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
sara310 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh please,no song will ever be like Bohemian Rhapsody, well atleast for me, even though I'm kind of sick of it, thats the kind of song that just grabs you by the ears and makes you go 'WOW'

:)
Bohemian Rahpsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 105 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeh, I think that Bohemian Rapsody is much better, as it is my favorite song. But I also feel as though the fairy King was the third best song on the first albulm, first being Liar and second Keep Yourself Alive.

B.R

Freddies Lover
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 06, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think many people would know what to think about 'My Fairy King'.. especially a lot of the US.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I rock!

Killed by drones.
Crezchi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is all based on individual opinions. Who care's? What's done is done. I love both songs.

Hello you rock and rollers!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 06, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say.... nah. MFK is more like art for arts sake. Bohemian Rhapsody took some of that genius, refined it, and made it a shitload more accessible, and more commercial.
That is not a bad thing. That takes a bit of brains, taking something that is pretty complex, but making it easy for the general public to get into.

But all the same, I keep both songs in the same bucket, along with Millionaire Waltz, March of the Black Queen and Innuendo - they're me favourites.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller