Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Lossy is Listenable

forum rss feed
Author

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Despite the the recent blustering on Queenzone claiming mp3 to be void of quality ... The Traders Den has a surpringly balanced opinion.

I did not quote this website as it does not want its content reproduced, but it allows posting of its links.

Use this link:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=audio#faq_whylossless

Then pick the "audio seeding" link.

Then pick the "What's the big deal?" link.

Please read the 4th paragraph.


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well ofcourse its listenable. Mp3 is the most used format, and i dont think anyone have denied that.
However, there is a difference between a studio recording and audience recording. I also have to admit i mostly hear on mp3`s, but not when it comes to bootlegs. I dont see the reason why, when i have it in superior quality on my cdr. I also think its not that hard to hear the difference between lossy and lossless. However, i dont think we are getting anywhere with this. Just leave it, and if you want lossless go to TTD.



Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is like talking to a wall. This discussion will never end, because some people just don't want to understand it.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Note, though that they won't allow lossy files on their servers!!!


Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed those Lossless freaks will never understand it.


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listenable? Yes.
A fart is listenable too.

Enjoyable?
...fill in for yourself.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheGame wrote:

Well ofcourse its listenable. Mp3 is the most used format, and i dont think anyone have denied that.
However, there is a difference between a studio recording and audience recording. I also have to admit i mostly hear on mp3`s, but not when it comes to bootlegs. I dont see the reason why, when i have it in superior quality on my cdr. I also think its not that hard to hear the difference between lossy and lossless. However, i dont think we are getting anywhere with this. Just leave it, and if you want lossless go to TTD.



my thoughts exactly...



Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 06, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Trader's Den runs their own house the way they see fit, but does not attempt to impose their will upon others ...

Obviously no one read the above link. so I will paraphrase:

Under double blind studies, only a very small minority can distinquish lossless from 192 kbs lossy.

A one time lossy compression from a lossless source to a lossy format is likely not to cause an audible difference

Lossy formats serve a legitimate purpose for many people for use with portable players, computers or home audio systems.

It is ok to compress lossless to lossy formats, but never pass on lossy files or lossy sourced lossless files to other traders.


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
lucame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mp3 is totally gay, stop justifing it, we all know it listenable, wtf is all this millions of ppl with ipod listening to?

the fact remains that we should try as much as possible to spread lossless. if you do not have a good connection, not our fault, go back to emule.


928 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Van wrote:



It is ok to compress lossless to lossy formats, but never pass on lossy files or lossy sourced lossless files to other traders.


Now thats the bottom line in your paraphrase.........

.....get it yet???

MDNA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see this as any different from what people here are saying.

Basicaly what we are saying is: Losless for trading and sharing, lossy for personal use only.

The TTD policy is exactly this.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Be patient, guys... I think some people are starting to get it. Give it time.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A fart is listenable too, but not enjoyable.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

928 wrote:

Mike Van wrote:



It is ok to compress lossless to lossy formats, but never pass on lossy files or lossy sourced lossless files to other traders.


Now thats the bottom line in your paraphrase.........

.....get it yet???


"Never pass ... lossy ... to ... traders"

The point has been made many times on Queenzone that those that share lossy files are NOT traders.


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

928 wrote:

Mike Van wrote:



It is ok to compress lossless to lossy formats, but never pass on lossy files or lossy sourced lossless files to other traders.


Now thats the bottom line in your paraphrase.........

.....get it yet???


"Never pass ... lossy ... to ... traders"

The point has been made many times on Queenzone that those that share lossy files are NOT traders.

Later, this TTD link states (paraphrase):

"Please respect our high standards, and distribute mp3's elsewhere."

The Trader's Den is a classy outfit:

It tolerates lossy sharing elsewhere and does not attempt to ban lossy sharing.

It does not denigrate mp3 listeners as stupid.

It acknowledges that although lossless is better than lossy, it is difficult to distinguish lossless from lossy for the predominant majority of people.

It does not threaten to never share again if one person accidently does a Flac-mp3-wav conversion.


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 06, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Van wrote:

928 wrote:

Mike Van wrote:



It is ok to compress lossless to lossy formats, but never pass on lossy files or lossy sourced lossless files to other traders.


Now thats the bottom line in your paraphrase.........

.....get it yet???


"Never pass ... lossy ... to ... traders"


The point has been made many times on Queenzone that those that share lossy files are NOT traders.

Later, this TTD link states (paraphrase):

"Please respect our high standards, and distribute mp3's elsewhere."

The Trader's Den is a classy outfit:

It tolerates lossy sharing elsewhere and does not attempt to ban lossy sharing.

It does not denigrate mp3 listeners as stupid.

It acknowledges that although lossless is better than lossy, it is difficult to distinguish lossless from lossy for the predominant majority of people.

It does not threaten to never share again if one person accidently does a Flac-mp3-wav conversion.


ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
It also does not denigrate FLAC sharers as Nazis.
Yeah I know it wasn't meant to offend but it did.
TTD doesn't attempt to ban MP3 sharing but try to post a concert in MP3 there see what happens.



"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 06, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never implicated all flac sharers - I only accused a few flac sharers (as indicated in my below quote from my topic).

"It astounds me how a few arrogant people can try to determine what people can download, and what format they can share it in."

If it makes you feel any better, I was not referring to you in my "old" topic.



Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
blubke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 06, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why discussing? If you like mp3... ok... If you like Flac... ok... what's the point discussing it... Just leave it...

Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 06, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Van wrote:

I never implicated all flac sharers - I only accused a few flac sharers (as indicated in my below quote from my topic).

"It astounds me how a few arrogant people can try to determine what people can download, and what format they can share it in."

If it makes you feel any better, I was not referring to you in my "old" topic.
I appreciate you clarifying that you weren't referring to me, but the fact remains that the use of the word Nazi is offensive and doesn't belong in QZ. I understand your argument about sharing MP3s here but it's getting out of hand with all this bickering from both sides. I think it should stop and maybe you should start posting your own shows like Hab is planning to do.


"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."