Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Magic Tour: Best Freddie Performance

forum rss feed
Author

Alfred77 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everybody! I have one question to ask: in your opinion, during the Magic Tour, in which concert (according to bootlegs) Freddie gives his
best vocal performance?
Thank you

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He had some great nights during that tour. Check out the Stockholm,Leiden and Paris shows. After these shows his voice got worse. Then he had a revival in Vienna and Budapest where he was outstanding again!!Some people think of it as one of freddie's worst tours but I disagree, he had some great moments!

on my way up
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...but overall, his voice had never been in such lousy shape on tour. Sure, every tour had highlights for his voice, but Magic was worst, closely followed by Works.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Dreamcast user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mannheim , Knebworth and Budapest

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson"> ThomasQuinn wrote:

...but overall, his voice had never been in such lousy shape on tour. Sure, every tour had highlights for his voice, but Magic was worst, closely followed by Works.

I'd say the Works tour was overall worse than the Magic tour. No Magic shows were as bad as Vienna 84. And by "bad", I don't mean his voice sounded awful. His range was just not there...

I'd say the best ones have to be Stockholm and Leiden... right at the beginning of the tour. If Freddie had taken care of his voice throughout this tour (or any other tour for that matter), he would have sounded this good straight through to Knebworth.

James LaBrie from Dream Theater sounds absolutely perfect on the Score DVD released this year, which was the final show of an 8-month world tour. He was flawlessly hitting notes on stage that Freddie hit in the studio three times in his life.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

I'd say the Works tour was overall worse than the Magic tour. No Magic shows were as bad as Vienna 84. And by "bad", I don't mean his voice sounded awful. His range was just not there...

I'd say the best ones have to be Stockholm and Leiden... right at the beginning of the tour. If Freddie had taken care of his voice throughout this tour (or any other tour for that matter), he would have sounded this good straight through to Knebworth.

James LaBrie from Dream Theater sounds absolutely perfect on the Score DVD released this year, which was the final show of an 8-month world tour. He was flawlessly hitting notes on stage that Freddie hit in the studio three times in his life.

How would you rate Freddie's vocals on the Berlin 86 gig?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitesthedust wrote:

How would you rate Freddie's vocals on the Berlin 86 gig?

I haven't listened to that show in a couple years, but I recall them sounding pretty good. Definitely better than Wembley. I'd say it was an average Magic show, which is good.

So yeah... with LaBrie being the example, I'd say the "it's a long tour" excuse doesn't stand. Anyone can take care of their voice, and LaBrie is a prime example. He hasn't sung a bad show in years, since he got his new vocal instructor. I wish Freddie had done the same, but he was probably too stubborn. If his friends cared about him, I'm sure they would have suggested it at one point or another, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had shot them down... "Fuck off, dear... my voice is just fine".

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I own a lossless copy of Berlin 86, and was listening to it recently...I'd rate his voice as being better there than at Wembley, and the performance of "Forever" is one of the best they did, in my opinion.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley 1986 is so overrated, damn overrated. It's really a below average show for him during that tour. As Bob said, shows like the Leiden ones or even better Stockholm, were damn great. Also, Wembley is full of overdubs.

His best show during the Works tour? Simple, the very first show of that tour. One of his best vocal performances ever.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer 9/5/1985, he wa so creative during that show with great improvisations.I think it's better than Brussels 1984.It's my favourite freddie-show , together with newcastle'79 and the South-american shows from 1981

on my way up
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

I prefer 9/5/1985, he wa so creative during that show with great improvisations.I think it's better than Brussels 1984.It's my favourite freddie-show , together with newcastle'79 and the South-american shows from 1981

True, Freddie was very creative and original during that show in Japan. But I was talking about his voice, which was best during the first Works-concert. Best sang-version of Break Free ever. (he sang all Works songs with 100% confidence)

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well I loved the Magic tour voice. A particualr highlight was Budapest I felt, what a version of Who Wants To Live Forever.

hj
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, I think Wembley is kind of overrated.
I go for Budapest, Knebworth. I've rarely heard Manheim, though.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
newcastle 86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just a little ditty. Its so good to have a decent topic with good banter for a change, ive enjoyed reading the posts.

mjks
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 06, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree with NC 86.good topic and great debate.my two cents says the first leiden show was the best.Perhaps SIR GH who im sure has heard all the shows can weigh in as i have only heard a handful.

john pistlli
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 06, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Budakon 79...that has to be his worst ever all time...he was like really sick that night

but the other 3 rocked hardcore

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 06, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And still the guy is not mentioned in the "greatest live singer" topic. I agree with you, he's one of the best out there at the moment.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 06, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe I am biased (being from cologne), but after a looooong search I finally got Cologne '86 from here (thanks to all of you for sharing so many great recordings) and I was blown away by the performance on that night. Reminds me of Budapest (maybe sped up a little ?), Queen rush through their set as if they can not wait to celebrate Bri's birthday ;-) and the energy-level is at maximum from the first bars of One Vision right until the end. Whaddaya think ?

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 06, 06:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard

Posted: 09 Oct 06, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

And still the guy is not mentioned in the "greatest live singer" topic. I agree with you, he's one of the best out there at the moment.

Dream Theater is a band that most ignorant people will never know about, or begin to understand. I'll leave it at that!