Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian's dislike for Don't Stop Me Now?

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why doesn't Brian like 'Don't Stop Me now'? it has been said that he dislikes it, anyone no the reason?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Why doesn't Brian like 'Don't Stop Me now'? it has been said that he dislikes it, anyone no the reason?

I've been wondering this as well. Where does this "rumor" come from? Did Brian himself say this on his soapbox?

I recently read this in one of those articles about when "Don't Stop Me Now" won Top Gear's best driving song, but there was a lot of funny bullshitting in that article as well. Perhaps this is one of those quotes that is taken out of context, has started to lead his own life, and now everyone takes it for true?

Flick of the wrist
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe because the only thing he plays is the guitar solo? I don't hear any riffs throughout the song (no rhythm guitar etc.)

And then again, the song is almost done when the guitar solo begins.

And Brian mimes in the video that he plays the guitar during the whole song, but there is no guitar. That's quite frustrating for a professional guitarist

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Paul Mark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he makes a negative remark about it on the Greatest Hits DVD commentary. Cant remember offhand exactly what he said though.

It has also been rumoured that Brian's dislike for the song is the reason it is not included in full in WWRY.

Of course he cant dislike it THAT much as he recently performed it live with McFly!

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe there are deeper reasons than just the lack of guitar (although I have always loved the solo) maybe Brian has an issue with the lyrics... Maybe it was Freddie rejecting help or advice, who knows?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there is a great guitar bit in DSMN contrary to what was said in this thread.

john pistlli
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stateside fan wrote:

there is a great guitar bit in DSMN contrary to what was said in this thread.

Oh I don't think anyone was knocking it, I believe they were commenting on the relative lack of a guitar rhythm track.

You know, off the top of my head I would've sworn there was a bit of guitar in DSMN but I haven't heard it in a while so I might give it another listen.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it was much the song as it was the video. It was commented above that Brian on GVH 1 didn't like the video shoot in part because the director wanted the band to stay close together and look like they were in a performance whereas they had that huge stage to use in it's entirety. This is what I surmize from the comments on GVH 1. I've never heard any negative remarks on the song though.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice topic!

I was also wondering why Brian did not like the song. It's one of my favourite queen songs ever.

Maybe it's the video, maybe it's the lack of R-guitar... no-one knows i guess.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure Freddie didn't like the rhythm guitar on the studio version, and he probably compromised with Brian and let him do it live. If that's the case, then I think it was the right decision.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well I prefer the Live version infintely, the guitar riffs give it some much needed "bottom end".

hj
olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember reading something on the soapbox when someone had wrote a letter asking how he could let McFly ruin such a classic, and he replied saying something to the effect of it not being a classic, putting the word classic in speach marks. therefore making me believe he doesnt rate the song too highly.

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

"it has been sayd" --> where?

as far as i know, i think i can hear perfectly on GVH1 in the beginning of the song Roger sayin "Brian's favorite"....

kagezan1313 user not visiting Queenzone.com
kagezan1313
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cripes, none of you people have studied your Queen history! On April 21st, 1978, Queen played a concert in Brussels. After the show, Brian was feeling a little more liberal than usual and got right fucked on peach Schnapps. He passed out in the hotel room and awoke to a seering pain in his hind quarters. Looking back over his shoulder, he was horrified to find a drunken Freddie riding him with much vigor and chanting "Ooh, I'm gonna make a supersonic man outta you!"

Anyway, Freddie put the phrase in a song as a secret wink, and for good reason he would never discuss with anyone, Brian didn't like playing the song. He refused to put down rhythm, and only under threat of contract breach by EMI did he grudgingly play a solo. So there you go.

note: I gained this information by smoking drain cleaner until a wood elf appeared and played the surveillance video his secret organization had shot of the incident.

Thank you, God bless you, sweet dreams you lot of tarts, Good-bye!
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why dont u just email him and ask?

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 06, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

I don't think it was much the song as it was the video. It was commented above that Brian on GVH 1 didn't like the video shoot in part because the director wanted the band to stay close together and look like they were in a performance whereas they had that huge stage to use in it's entirety. This is what I surmize from the comments on GVH 1. I've never heard any negative remarks on the song though.

Yes. What you said.

And popy, IMO, Roger was probably joking.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
OZ Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 12 Oct 06, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think its one of the best songs, its one of my fav's thats for sure, just the beat & the fast pace of it , it gets the heart pumping for sure..

Queen_Oz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 12 Oct 06, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I don't know about Brian, but it's one of my fav songs.

eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wait a minute, didn't roger say in the GVH 1 commentary that this was one of brian's favorite songs? or was that just a sarcastic remark?

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 06, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="indigo"><b>friedchicken \m/ wrote:

wait a minute, didn't roger say in the GVH 1 commentary that this was one of brian's favorite songs? or was that just a sarcastic remark?

Did you actually read all the replies before posting? Hint: look 3 or 4 posts higher.

Flick of the wrist