Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > ALERT: Rosemont on Dime - BLEET

forum rss feed
Author

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

///// MESSAGE FROM THE LARGEST SUCKER ON EARTH \\\\\
YAHOO I WAS WRONG LET ME BURN IN HELL FOREVER!!!



Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well he says it's unprocessed. So he says "ours" is a 1st Gen CDR which is far worse to his unprocessed recording (TAPE > EAC > FLAC) in his opinion and therefore he calls it an upgrade...

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

lol, how can someone be so stupid and call something an upgrade to a mastertape?


What is your problem? The one on dime is one CDR gen lower than the version that Bob uploaded here. Plus the torrent on DaD has perfectly accurate source and lineage information that everyone who downloaded the show from here should add to his notes and pass it on when trading.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I think there are 2 options:

a. The copy of Bob is remastered (Bob...?)
b. A new transfer was posted on Dime and was transferred in a different (worse?) way

It can be either of those, the track times differ aswell so I'm not sure.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

Bob got the copy from the guy who recorded the show so it's most likely the mastertape.


Read plz, ours is a 1st Gen CDR copy. Simply the lineage would look like this: MASTER > DIGITAL > CDR(x) > DIGITAL > CDR(1)

But what happens in the digital areas (ripping or copying) is that there is a SMALL possibility that there is quality loss on a microscopic level (which can't be heard anyway) so that should make his copy an upgrade.

I wouldn't waste my time on that minor difference. Even though I'd want the lowest gen possible this is worse than the one Bob posted.

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

tilomagnet wrote:

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

lol, how can someone be so stupid and call something an upgrade to a mastertape?


Where is your problem? The one on dime is one CDR gen lower than the version that Bob uploaded here. Plus the torrent on DaD has perfectly accurate source and lineage information that everyone who downloaded the show here should add to his notes and pass it on when trading.


Wait a min, didn't Bob upload a copy of the mastertape? If he did how can something be better than a mastertape copy?


As I said the one on dime is one CDR gen lower than Bob's version. The extraction and burning process of audio cdrs is very prone to introduce digital artifacts, such as clicks and pops, into the audio. I'm not saying the dime torrent is a huge upgrade or anything and if Bob's cdrs were properly burned and extracted there won't be any noticeable difference bewteen the two versions, but the fact that some people here are making fun of the dime uploader and calling him stupid just shows that they have no clue of all these things themselves. In fact the dime version is closer to the master, even if it's just a CDR gen.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tilomagnet wrote:

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

tilomagnet wrote:

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

lol, how can someone be so stupid and call something an upgrade to a mastertape?


Where is your problem? The one on dime is one CDR gen lower than the version that Bob uploaded here. Plus the torrent on DaD has perfectly accurate source and lineage information that everyone who downloaded the show here should add to his notes and pass it on when trading.


Wait a min, didn't Bob upload a copy of the mastertape? If he did how can something be better than a mastertape copy?


As I said the one on dime is one CDR gen lower than Bob's version. The extraction and burning process of audio cdrs is very prone to introduce digital artifacts, such as clicks and pops, into the audio. I'm not saying the dime torrent is a huge upgrade or anything and if Bob's cdrs were properly burned and extracted there won't be a noticeable difference bewteen the two versions, but the fact that some people here are making fun of the dime uploader and calling him stupid just shows that they have no clue of all these things themselves. In fact the dime version is closer to the master, even if it's just a CDR gen.


I know that Tilo, but read what I've posted. I'll say it clearly again:

If you would download the version on Dime and compare it to the one on QZ you will find out that the quality of the one posted here on QZ has actually better sound quality.

Please read before you post something. You are right, but do your homework first. I have...

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font size="1">Ðon Gerolamo</font> wrote:

<font type="verdana">_Tatterdemalion_ wrote:

Bob got the copy from the guy who recorded the show so it's most likely the mastertape.


Read plz, ours is a 2nd Gen CDR copy. Simply the lineage would look like this: MASTER > DIGITAL > CDR(1) > DIGITAL > CDR(2)


This has been discussed here: http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=896188

In a nutshell: The correct lineage of Bob's version is Master>CDR(1)>EAC>WAV>FLAC , the one on dime is Master>CDR(0)>EAC>WAV>FLAC

<font size="1">Ðon Gerolamo</font> wrote:


But what happens in the digital areas (ripping or copying) is that there is a SMALL possibility that there is quality loss on a microscopic level (which can't be heard anyway) so that should make his copy an upgrade.


No, the quality of the audio itself cannot be degraded by improper extraction or burning. It may introduce digital errors into the audio though.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Download the one from Dime and LISTEN, in other words: DO - YOUR - HOMEWORK

You will hear, just like me, that the sound sounds less clear and distant. Not with errors or anything. ITS JUST WORSE!

(I already corrected my lineage post before you quoted me)

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font size="1">Ðon Gerolamo</font> wrote:

Download the one from Dime and LISTEN, in other words: DO - YOUR - HOMEWORK

(I already corrected my lineage post before you quoted me)


Thanks for the advice, Jerome. If you say that the version on dime is inferior - fine, I believe what you say and I have no problem with that. I didn't post here to argue with you which version sounds better, but to reply to posts like "..how can you upgrade a mastertape...". Judging from the notes, the dime version is closer to the master and that is a fact. I also pointed out that the dime torrent has very accurate lineage information for which I'm grateful. If it sounds better actually, well that's another story and I cannot answer that one yet, simply because I haven't listened to it.

And BTW: As far as correcting your lineage post, CDR(x) is not the same as CDR(0)...

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know you're true about the lineage, I didn't say you were wrong on the lineage. I know that x isn't the same as 0 but I used it because in this case it didn't matter whether I typed x or z or m, as it was clear enough that it was a gen below the 1st so it's 0 anyway.

But as I said, you're right about the lineage and if you're going to download or are already downloading the Dime version and compare it, you could hear that there is a difference in the sound.

Great that we finally worked this out, as I don't want any arguing either. When are we going to do a trade again? :P

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 06, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's the full info:

ANALOG MASTER RB

7th row right center
Recorder: Technics RS-686DS ANALOG
Tape: Maxell XL-II C-90's Dolby On
Mics: Teac ME-80's (same as CM-300)

Played back on identical machine (Dolby off)>
Chord Co. Cables
Pre-amp: Naim 52
CDR Recorder (Stand Alone): Tascam CDR-2000
CDR: Taiyo Yuden Gold 74-ZY
Master CDR>
PC Drive: UltraPlex40max SCSI
EAC>FLAC>To You Guys, enjoy, RB

-----------

I heard a sample of the Dime version, and it sounds exactly the same as mine. I compared bits of WAV from both copies in a wave editor, and they look identical. I have no reason to doubt this guy's lineage. The track times on my CDR copy are almost the same the Dime version. The only differences on mine are the intro and JR being one track, and KQ/Car are one track. Since most of my CDR track times are the same as the Dime version (but not all), I'm led to believe there is another CDR gen in there. I completely changed up the track times before converting mine to FLAC.

Google "Technics RS-686DS", and you'll find Rick, the guy who recorded this show and hundreds of others (his only Queen shows were Chicago 78/80). Unfortunately, his webpage just went offline this week. My best guess is that my copy is actually the third CDR down the line. So, it turns out mine isn't directly from the taper, but *almost* directly. Here is my take on the lineages of both copies:

Mine: AUD > Master > CDR(0) (standalone) > WAV > CDR(1) > EAC > FLAC
Dime: AUD > Master > CDR(0) (standalone) > EAC > FLAC


But really, the bottom line is, the sound of my copy and the Dime copy are identical. Only purists need to grab the Dime version if they feel the need.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have been reading this thread and the one on dime
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=116649

and the more I read the more confused I get. I did not download either Sir Bob's nor the dime version because I have an excellent version from Mr. Scully. I now asked him to check the source of his copy.

Can anyone tell me the running time of Bob's and the dime version, please?





I do not want any google ads here.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also the Dime version has no fades.