Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How was this guy allowed to sing more than anyone at the FM tribute?

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it just me, or did it seem like we saw alot of Axl Rose at the Freddie tribute concert??

In reality, Axl Rose shouldn't even have been in the same building where the name Freddie was mentioned!!

Anyway, for a good hard laugh, watch this video... this was Axl's comeback with the new "Gun's N Roses" here from 2002.

Everyone says the band sucks.... the band's probably tighter than the real G-n-R ...but someone does suck:

Anyway, after you listen to this **awesome version** of welcome to the jungle, I'd like your vote on better male vocalist, Freddie or Asshole Rose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ebcAg1SVJ8

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asshole Rose.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Drummer imense! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Drummer imense!
Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that gerorge michel and david bowie were on stage a hell of a lot more then axl rose! Axl did 2 songs with queen and also a was it 2 or 3 song set with GNR earlier on, so i dont think we can say he hogged the stage, even if he was totaly wasted by the time he played with queen.... robert plant was only on for 2 songs and lets say that axl did waaaaaaaaaay better.

Axl rocks....... sort of :P

I'm not a river or a giant bird, that soars to the sea, an if i'm never tied to anything i'll never be free!
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought there was too much Gary Cherone.

I♥The80's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1916 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drummer imense! wrote:

I think that gerorge michel and david bowie were on stage a hell of a lot more then axl rose! Axl did 2 songs with queen and also a was it 2 or 3 song set with GNR earlier on, so i dont think we can say he hogged the stage, even if he was totaly wasted by the time he played with queen.... robert plant was only on for 2 songs and lets say that axl did waaaaaaaaaay better.

LMAO at the Robert Plant part......he was pretty bad :S Innuendo was so sloppy and out of tune. Geez! In addition, wtf was he wearing?!?!

I is Tamara. ;)

>_> I'll stop changing my name now....

MSN address: lil_ruski_violinist@hotmail.com
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

½Microwave wrote:

I thought there was too much Gary Cherone.

Personally I'd rather see more of him than Axl.

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drummer imense! wrote:

George Michael and David Bowie are both a hell of alot more talented then Asshole. I doubt if anyone in the audience was thinking....get Bowie off the stage so we can see Asshole in his skirt some more.

Robert Plant did blow at the FM tribute, but Axl always sucked live (and still does) so let's just call them two a draw on the level of suck.

I still...for the life of me...cannot believe that asshole was the lead singer of one of the most famous bands of the last 20 years...

I mean, I am convinced that if you pulled 10 men out of the audience... at least half of them could sing better than Asshole.

Whatever...some people love him. I guess?

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oral sex was only on for a milli second compared to bowie and his cringy lords prayer bit.thank god liz taylor doesnt sing tho,she would of been there all bloody night.i was there and we couldnt get rid of her quick enuf!

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Axl certainly didn't hog the stage - Guns n Roses agreed to cut their own mini-set by one song (they ropped Sweet Child O Mine) and only did two songs as opposed to three like most of the other big artists. Out of every one, GnR are the ones, based on previous reputation, you would think would have the biggest problem with thi, but Axl was fine. The reason for the cut was that Spinal Tap had guitar problems and nearly couldn't get going, and also Extreme performed More Than Words and Love of My Life unscheduled.

Axl then reappeared for We Will Rock You (probably the shortest song in the set??), and a small duet part with Elton John at the end of Bo Rhap.

Not really hogging the stage is it?!!!!

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I mean, I am convinced that if you pulled 10 men out of the audience... at least half of them could sing better than [A]"

Probably, they could also have a better stage presence? (I don't like the little dance movement that he always does.)

pow wow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joxerthemighty wrote:

oral sex was only on for a milli second compared to bowie and his cringy lords prayer bit.thank god liz taylor doesnt sing tho,she would of been there all bloody night.i was there and we couldnt get rid of her quick enuf!

Hahaha. Me too. Remember everyone shouting for her to get off!! I remember thinking is she pissed or been at the drugs cabinet again because of her slurring.

I think God himself cringed with Bowie's total lack of judgement that night.

Annie Lennox tickled me. I really thought she was going to throw the lips on Bowie - he looked terrified!

What where your high points? Out of the bands I thought Extreme did a brilliant medley, Metallica were good too. I'd still go for '39 and Somebody to Love with George Michael as a high point of the day.

I do remember a lot of people in tears that day (OK me included!) with the whole emotion of the thing. It really did feel like we were all saying goodbye. I think as the day went on though it felt more and more like a celebration of his life and it was nice to be able to actually enjoy the music for music's sake.

It was a day that made me realise how bloody good Fred was. I thought a few guests had the moves, some had the personality and one or two even had the voice, but Freddie had the lot in spades.

"....you don't get that on X-Factor do you"
Leaky Luke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because Axl volunteered to sing and since Brian and GNR have a certain band together. They just needed someone to sing songs.. and they thought Axl could do a good job on certain songs?

Actually I'm listening to GNR now

Micrówave wrote: I would prefer they release a concert of all four sitting at a table just talking about Queen without exerting any kind of energy. Well, maybe Fred can smoke
olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am personally upset that they didnt have Steve Perry from Journey sing a few. He would have been amazing with Freddie's range, better than Axl with his scratchy, piercing voice.

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it's because any Axl is too much...

The "not out of the closet yet" Gary Cherone and his bad 1992 weave hair-do are always good for a laugh too.

I find it funny that Axl made fun of homosexers in what?? 4 Gun-N-Roses songs?

Then he takes lead vocals on 2 of the bands hits, at a tribute concert, for a gay singer who died of Aids??

That makes sense to me.

Meanwhile, Axl, in his skirt...and Gay-ary Cherone both passed up real good chances to be gay....that is, if they aren't anyway.

7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Asshole Rose.

Hee hee..I like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i've always hated Axl Rose, I thing he's a total dickwad with a terrible voice.

That said, I do an AWESOME Axl Rose impression, you should here me sing November Rain :P

they shoulda got James Labrie (lead singer of dream theatre) to sing, he's absolutly fantastic. And he cites queen as an inspiration, good match, yah!

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

i've always hated Axl Rose, I thing he's a total dickwad with a terrible voice.

SweetestSightEverSeen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoa guys. Axl Rose has never had anything but extremely positive things to say about Freddie Mercury, he had a true appreciation for him. The Freddie Mercury tribute concert was more about celebrating Freddie than the actual songs. Axl deserved to be there.

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 06, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GnR was, in early 1992, one of the biggest rock bands in the world. Ignorant loudmouth homophobe or not, it was a huge coupe to have Axl and the band on the bill (as it was with Metallica and that phoner that U2 did). And Freddie was a huge influence on Axl. Axl's from a very blue collar working class background, where casual homophobia is still the norm, and even moreso 20 or 30 years ago when a guy like Axl was coming up in the world. I'd daresay many of us would prefer not to have ignorant things we said 15 years ago continually held against us today.

Having said that, I still think he's a wanker with a shitty voice.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 06, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blah blah. There should have been more Roger Daltrey.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller