Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The resemblance between Queen and Muse

forum rss feed
Author

All_that_Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey People,

I have been a Queen fan since some 16 years now, but always open minded towards other bands, specifically those with some artistic quality, such as Radiohead. I had always liked Muse since their first albums, but I regarded them mostly as a quitar band making decent songs. This changed with their last album, although some more synths and dance influences are noticable, Black Holes and Revelations has some tracks on it, that after a few rounds of playing made me start thinking; "wow, this is good"! Further more, I started to notice that some of the work on this album bears resemblance with the work of Queen. Especially the track Knights of Cydonia, which has a strong Queen II feel over it. I never read though, that Michael Bellamy from Muse has ever stated to be influenced by Queen. Reviews of concerts do make the comparison between the bands. What are your opinions of this? Is Muse artiscally worth being compared to Queen? Or was their last album with brilliant tracks such as the eralier mentioned Knighths of Cydonia, City of Delusion and HooDoo, just a lucky shot?

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's Matthew Bellamy and yes they deserve the comparisation cuz they're brilliant. The only similarities i can think of is that they take risks, the harmonies and the groundbreaking shows.

Killed by drones.

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Matthew, off course, I knew that :) Typo

The Fairy King

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All_that_Jazz wrote:

Ga je ook naar Muse op 28 november a.s?

Killed by drones.
Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always laugh heartily when people on this panel talk about how there's no good bands around 'these days'.
Muse are quite simply, brilliant. Between them and Tool, they exemplify all that there is to love about music yesterday, today and for years to come.
Queen will always be my first choice as the band most dear to me -but I can tell you this- I've seen both Queen and Muse live before (the real Queen that is) and there is no contest- Muse were staggeringly good.
Queen were 'only' very good. But as a front-man, Freddie wins hands down.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recall once Matt mentioning how on 'Absolution' they wanted to adopt a Queen type of layered vocals.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

All_that_Jazz wrote:

Ga je ook naar Muse op 28 november a.s?

Nope. I saw them on Lowlands and I was too late to buy tickets for the show on the 28th :( the Lowlands Performance was suberb..

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenfred wrote:

I always laugh heartily when people on this panel talk about how there's no good bands around 'these days'.
Muse are quite simply, brilliant. Between them and Tool, they exemplify all that there is to love about music yesterday, today and for years to come.
Queen will always be my first choice as the band most dear to me -but I can tell you this- I've seen both Queen and Muse live before (the real Queen that is) and there is no contest- Muse were staggeringly good.
Queen were 'only' very good. But as a front-man, Freddie wins hands down.

I fully agree with this. There is so much nostalgia about music being better in the 70's, whereas we now have some very good bands. Tool are good, muse --> fantastic, Radiohead --> fantastic, but also (less well known) bands with good songs are e.g. Interpol, Belle and Sebastian, Mintzkov Luna and the Magic Numbers.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All_that_Jazz wrote:

I fully agree with this. There is so much nostalgia about music being better in the 70's, whereas we now have some very good bands. Tool are good, muse --> fantastic, Radiohead --> fantastic, but also (less well known) bands with good songs are e.g. Interpol, Belle and Sebastian, Mintzkov Luna and the Magic Numbers.

Good topic. This is how I see things:

Yesterday's Queen is today's Muse.
Yesterday's Roxy Music is today's Radiohead.
Yesterday's Led Zeppelin is today's Tool.
Yesterday's Yes is today's Dream Theater.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only time in history where I recall that there were almost no good bands was the late 90s. Personally I think that was the worst period in music becuase it was dominated by rappers, boy bands, lame alternative bands, and slutty pop tarts.
To make matters worse, many of the bands who were once good started to fade away.

Nowdays there's much better bands to listen to.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mike Label user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 162 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been a Muse fan since their 1st album and always thought there was some Queen in them (listen to the beginning of Cave for instance, I hear Brian play every time...) though the lads themselves used to deny this - until recently that is. On Black Holes... the Queen references are so obvious - especially on Knights... and even more on Soldier's Poem. What both bands have in common is a tendency to border on kitsch (which I like if it's not done too often...) plus of course both have/had a brilliant singer and guitarist and write just great pop tunes.

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Label wrote:

I've been a Muse fan since their 1st album and always thought there was some Queen in them (listen to the beginning of Cave for instance, I hear Brian play every time...) though the lads themselves used to deny this - until recently that is. On Black Holes... the Queen references are so obvious - especially on Knights... and even more on Soldier's Poem. What both bands have in common is a tendency to border on kitsch (which I like if it's not done too often...) plus of course both have/had a brilliant singer and guitarist and write just great pop tunes.

The kitch certainly is some point of similarity, altough I find Black Holes and Revelations far more Kitchy than e.g. Showbizz. I wouldn't call the songs of Muse and Queen just pop songs though, it goes a bit beyond that.

I agree with the point made earlier on that in the (late) 1990's we had very little good rock music. At least not my stile of rock music.

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am a Muse freak!!!! I became a fan last year and I'm looking foward to see them live this november :D. I adore the fact that Matt is a Queen fan, and teh fact that the band re-invents with every album. I can't choose a favorite song liek with Absolution and with BH&R. I really hope they can last as long as Queen lasted :D!!!!

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***

Posted: 18 Oct 06, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

The only time in history where I recall that there were almost no good bands was the late 90s. Personally I think that was the worst period in music becuase it was dominated by rappers, boy bands, lame alternative bands, and slutty pop tarts.
To make matters worse, many of the bands who were once good started to fade away.

Well... we had BSB *rolls eyes*

Thank God I'm far from those days, although I still love Nick Carter *plops*

The Fairy King

Posted: 19 Oct 06, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#CC66CC>Marial-B wrote:

I am a Muse freak!!!! I became a fan last year and I'm looking foward to see them live this november :D. I adore the fact that Matt is a Queen fan, and teh fact that the band re-invents with every album. I can't choose a favorite song liek with Absolution and with BH&R. I really hope they can last as long as Queen lasted :D!!!!

Matt isn't a Queenfan, Dom is.
Matt likes em through Dom and his mom who is a huge Queenfan. xD

Killed by drones.

Posted: 19 Oct 06, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look, now that's some news I didn't know :)

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 19 Oct 06, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Well... we had BSB *rolls eyes*

Thank God I'm far from those days, although I still love Nick Carter *plops*

I can still listen to a few BSB song, but Nick Carter is someone I despise with a passion.

The best thing that kid has achieved in his career was bitch slapping Paris Hilton.

Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***

Posted: 19 Oct 06, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read it was Matt -.-'.

Sorry Master :P

The Fonz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 07, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenfred wrote:

Ha

You may be interested to know that I saw both these bands at the Big Day Out (Auckland leg) last Friday.

And they are awesome.

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 07, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Muse is 100x better than that shitass, no-talent band Coldplay. I mean for fuck's sake, Chris Martin can't sing for shit...
Anyway, it's like this - Radiohead is the new Pink Floyd while Muse is the new Queen...nah, they're not THAT good but still, 100x better than Coldplay.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment