Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen II -> SHA Link

forum rss feed
Author

DeeEmm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Oct 06, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I fear that this may have been bought up or established already, but I haven't really seen it elsewhere so, here goes.

As we all know, Queen (the album) ends with a demo version of Seven Seas of Rhye and the intention was to begin Queen II with that song, creating a linking effect. Last night, whilst listening to Queen II's version of the song, I heard the weird bit at the end and the stuff involved seaside...

...and I began thinking, is this an intentional link to the first song of SHA, Brighton Rock? The distortion effects sounds quite similiar, and the lyrics seems to hold some sort of resemblance...

Can someone provide me with answers?

Queen rocks!
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 21 Oct 06, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Use the 'search button' - this is another FAQ. I'm not being rude, just helpful.

Everything I need to know,
Mr Google tells me so...

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
MickyVee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 06, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the beginning of Brighton Rock, you can hear somebody whistling the "Oh I do like to be beside the Sea-Side" bit of the song.

..So there you go.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 22 Oct 06, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The final bit of Seven Seas Of Rhye was sung by a bunch of people who were in the studio when the song was being recorded.

The beginning of Brighton Rock is an existing song.

So, if you can actually notice a connection between them, you're mental.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
mircal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 555 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">KillerKing840 wrote:

The final bit of Seven Seas Of Rhye was sung by a bunch of people who were in the studio when the song was being recorded.

The beginning of Brighton Rock is an existing song.

So, if you can actually notice a connection between them, you're mental.

And can i ask where you got this info? And actually you can hear a guy sing at the begginging of B.R.... so... i must be mental to.

innuendo1991 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just a second... how can you be mental seeing this link?? It's there! Seven seas of Rhye ends with 'Oh I do like to be beside the seaside' and Brighton Rock opens with someone singing that very same tune. I think you'll find unless you have no sense of music (But listening to Queen means you can't be a complete idiot unless you're just a sheep). The link is as plain as anything!!

Why can't Pacman get a say in things these days?
Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 27 Oct 06, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm telling you, the Brighton Rock intro is an existing song which was not written (and not performed either) by Queen. As soon as I find any site with this info I'll post it here.

Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 27 Oct 06, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, see what I found here on QZ:

Carousel (Fairground Intro) Unreleased: EMI "Inhouse funfair effects & March" (Feature in the film "House On The Hill")

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=410102

And John S Stuart probably can confirm it himself.

And maybe he (or any other "expert") could confirm that the last bit of Seven Seas Of Rhye was recorded by lots of people who were in the studio on that day.

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 06, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe I hear the link too. Maybe they used an existing piece of music and overdubbed on top it?

On second thought... Queen and overdubbing. Nonsense! :)

i-Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com
i-Fred
Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 07, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes i do think there is a link.... And that last part is from a song called i do like to be beside the seaside. Written and composed by John A. Glover-Kind (1907)..

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 07, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't heard that fair effects clip in its original version but I surely can hear someone whistle the "I do like to be beside the seaside" tune in the intro to Brighton Rock so there is obviously a connection. I'm pretty sure this is an overdub.

Actually, I believe that Queen II was supposed to begin with Seven Seas of Rhye (as Queen I ended with an instrumental version of it) in some stage but then the idea was dropped.

Wiley

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 07, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have this carousel track from that effect LP in question. The first 20 seconds or so are used on Brighton Rock.

HOWEVER, at the 14 seconds into the carousel effects there is NO whistling. The whisting was added by Queen and is indeed the "How I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside" tune.

If anyone wants this FX track, I'll send it to you privately, just email me.

Oh, and another connection we all know about between the first three album is Rhye: Seven Seas Of Rhye...(Queen), The Seven Seas Of Rhye (Queen II), and Lily Of The Valley's lyric "To tell the King of Rhye he's lost his throne."

Rhyeking

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 07, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Oh, see what I found here on QZ:

Carousel (Fairground Intro) Unreleased: EMI "Inhouse funfair effects & March" (Feature in the film "House On The Hill")

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=410102

And John S Stuart probably can confirm it himself.

And maybe he (or any other "expert") could confirm that the last bit of Seven Seas Of Rhye was recorded by lots of people who were in the studio on that day.

If you were any less stupid, you'd have figured this out for yourself.

This deals with the SOUND EFFECTS, not the whistled part. The SOUND EFFECTS (of a FAIRGROUND, hence the TITLE) were taken off a studio-record of sound effects that was lying around and made its way into their hands. They overdubbed it with THE WHISTLING and a small bit of guitar to make it into the intro of Brighton Rock.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 07, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

I have this carousel track from that effect LP in question. The first 20 seconds or so are used on Brighton Rock.

HOWEVER, at the 14 seconds into the carousel effects there is NO whistling. The whisting was added by Queen and is indeed the "How I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside" tune.

Oh, and another connection we all know about between the first three album is Rhye: Seven Seas Of Rhye...(Queen), The Seven Seas Of Rhye (Queen II), and Lily Of The Valley's lyric "To tell the King of Rhye he's lost his throne."

Rhyeking

That doesn't really count as any more than a Freddie-connection. "Rhye" was his imaginary world when he was little.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 07, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Rhyeking

You even HAVE the thing??

How obscure is that!!!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 07, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty obscure, I'd say.

I was hanging a light in the auditorium at my high school when the sound crew played a cassette of effects and that was on it. For a about 14 seconds I thought, "Sweet, Brighton Rock!" When the song didn't start and the carousel music kept going, I realized it was the raw FX track.

I should have got a copy of it then, but I forgot about it and wasn't a hardcore fan at the time. When I started collecting Queen song versions, I had that memory on the back of my mind as something to keep an ear out for. I'd begun working professionally in the theatre industry by then and if I thought of it, I'd glance through FX CDs to see if that track was there. I never did find it that way.

About a year ago a Queen-collector buddy of mine sent it to me after I mentioned the high school story.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 07, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is darn fortuitous!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 07, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Rhyeking

Since your mail is not avaiable, if the offer still stands i would love to hear the track.

Take care

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 07, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Thanks man, i receive the mail and it´s fantastic to hear that song. I just can´t help to feel that Brian is coming in with his riff at any time ; ))

Take care

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 07, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please be kind and e-mail this to me too :)

It would be great!

itsm@hotmail.com

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...