Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Freddie Mercury Boxed set - according to John S. Stuart

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 06, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my thread in which I talk about the Freddie Mercury boxed set of 2000 being a great piece of work - from all of those involved in putting it together, including me, John S. Stuart, in very typical and predictable fashion, has today presented a HUGE list of what he calls the "missing tracks". This is another example of him trying to be oh so clever and know-all, but in fact coming accross as a twat who doesn't think about practicality or the boredom factor before making silly invalid points. He just spouts off before thinking first. That's why we cannot work with you John.

Let's overlook the fact that certain tracks were deliberately left off the SOLO collection in order that the set was not THE most boring and anoraky product ever issued in the history of music, because by ANY standards 16 versions of Living On My Own would be tedious and gratuitously excessive... let's examine JSS's point.

I will not go into the HUGE detail John did, because that would be bone-shakingly boring for all (except him), but let's instead hone in on just some of what this peculiar person evidently wanted the box to include. Before John denies he wanted ALL the things he listed, I remind him that he said (in HIS words) "missing tracks". He therefore wanted these things to feature, otherwise he would not have described them as missing.

When you have read the proposterous and excessively boring list below, ask yourself... "Did I really want another 6 versions of that song, 6 more of this one, 8 more versions of such and such - just because each edit is a few seconds longer or shorter than the single edit or album version or the film version?"

Jesus! How outrageously dull would THAT be???? Imagine if the Beatles followed JSS's prefered road... 8 versions of Let It Be, 12 versions of Help, etc, etc.

We featured 3 and 4 versions of certain songs on that box, but John wanted 6, 7, or 8 more, in some cases. It would have had to be 16 or 18 CDs and would have cost TWICE AS MUCH. That's £200, John. You need to think before opening your trap,

This is the man who fancies himself as the compiler of Queen and/or Freddie CD boxes. Can you imagine how dull such a project would be?

God almighty! Who in their right mind wants... 3 versions of Billy Squier: Love Is The Hero / TEN (yes 10) more versions of Love Kills / ANOTHER EIGHT (yes 8) versions of Living On My Own / and ANOTHER FIVE VERSIONS OF Great Pretender????

HIGHLIGHTS OF JOHN'S BOXED SET INCLUDE... AND I QUOTE HIM VERBATUM....

Please note John's serious suggestion herein that we "Missed out" home recordings of obscure things, recorded on minidisk - YES I'm serious. You'll see for yourself.

JSS WOULD HAVE FEATURED... 3 versions of Billy Squier: Love Is The Hero
LP Version - Capitol CDP 7 46317 2
UK 7" 4:03 Version - Capitol 5619
US CD Anthology 12" Remix - Chronicles 314 529 296-2

JSS WOULD HAVE FEATURED... TEN (yes 10) more versions of Love Kills
1984 Metropolis 2:25 OST - Metropolis Video
1992 Canada 12"/ CD 5:17 Re-Edit - In Memories Of Freddie Mercury
1992 US Wolf Original 3:27 Remix - Parlophone CDR 6331
1992 US Wolf Euro 3:24 Remix - Parlophone PM 517
2000 Synthesised Version 3:41 - Unreleased: Home Mini Disc
2000 Jazz Version 4:40 - Unreleased: Home Mini Disc
2000 Overture Version 3:33 - Unreleased: Home Mini Disc
2000 Synthesised Version (Radio Edit) - Unreleased:
2000 Jazz Version (Edit) - Unreleased:
1986 Metropolis Video Excerpt - Metropolis Video

JSS WOULD HAVE FEATURED... ANOTHER THREE VERSIONS of I Was Born To Love You
1985 Casio 1:51 Bootleg Demo - Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc
1985 US DJ Steven Von Blau 7:30 Mix - Disconet MWDN 711 Volume 11 Programme 7
2002 Freddie Mercury DJ White Label Club Mix - Wanted:
Instrumental - Unreleased

JSS WOULD HAVE FEATURED... THREE MORE VERSIONS of Mr. Bad Guy
1985 Argentina 7” 3:17 Edit - I Was Born To Love You
1993 Br

GB
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 06, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know I totally see your point. Why have all of those tedious versions of random and repetitive songs on any sort of box set. That's just stupid. You know there's another project going on that I think I need to hear your opinion about. Below is a Queen project going on that has some unnecessary inclusions. I have made a short list:
------------------------------------------
Queenzone: The Unnecessary Additions

Greg Brooks- Queen Archivist, Released mid 2006, seemingly neverending, pops up regularly, spam follows
------------------------------------------

Let me know if you think this unnecessary inclusion should be CUT from this hopefully everlasting project known as the Queen Internet Zone.

-P.S.-

You know man, WHY do you constantly have to post this shit on the boards? Couldn't you have just left this to the initial topic? Do you crave THAT MUCH attention? Jeez man, get a life. Just go do what you do best:

1. Release crappy, error ridden books about Queen's Concerts

2. Record the phrase "Property of Queen Productions" over everything

Azzleeno user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First off - Greg's totally right that releasing all of those other ump-teen versions of songs would have been awful and boring....HOWEVER, the way he said that fact with "twat", etc. and all of the other name calling anti-vibe in his message made his solid message totally irrellevent. I am distanced from this crap enough to separate Greg's correctness on the topic from his child-like approach to JSS but most will be pissed.

Bummer Greg - you take a perfectly good factual post and turn it into a boring/annoying children's game. I wouldn't be surprised if QUEEN Productions fires you for this kind of crap someday soon. As much as I have appreciated you contributions, writings, etc. to our beloved band you are just behaving like a fool.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully, this old pasted link works

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.queen/browse_thread/thread/1a90bf20c0c19c9b/9ae25e8ea887c6f3?q=freddie+solo+missing&rnum=7#9ae25e8ea887c6f3

This is from 2001. JSS wasn't the only one calling out some obvious omissions and errors.

btw....all the versions of 'Love Is The Hero' SHOULD have been on the box set. Why not the more polished 'Lady With A Tenor Sax' release added as well?

Where was the live performance of 'It's In Everyone Of Us'? The ultimate goof up to not include this treasure.

But we got how many versions of the non Freddie performed LOMO? And the great pretending 'The Great Pretender' instead of 'The Freddie Mercury insult....er, Album.

Thank goodness QP didn't have their hand in any Zeppelin, Beatle, or Sinatra archives.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found it interesting to see how many items were effectively out there, however, I would agree with Greg that there is no way a collection such as this could ever get marketed.

I seriously doubt that John meant all of the versions of every song should be there, but there are one or two notable exceptions that I would also hope Greg feels could/should have been included.

Like I said before I think the set currently out there is a great tribute to Freddie and a worthy piece of work, it would have been nice if it had every track he ever recorded but not every version unless substantially different.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Madman007 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completly agree with you Greg... who really wants 3497652948762984 versions of the same song? BUT... are the Phantom songs ever going to be available? I'd love to hear Freddie sing those.

"The bigger the better... in everything" - Freddie
Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Double-checking what above google link says, I am very surprised, I never noticed, that Exercises in Free Love is actually on the box set twice with Freddie's vocal on there. Montserrat's version is missing and I wonder why? A mistake or misprint?

As GB is probably re-visiting this thread in the future, I also would like to ask why Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, Killer Queen and Now I'm Here on Greatest Video Hits I are being treated as brand new and rarely ever seen, while they were widely available on the Box of Flix in 1991.

GB said, the Freddie Box would have been much bigger and as that more expensive if all possible tracks would have been included. I presume, that problem could have been avoided, if the Instrumentals or A Capella mixes would have been left out. There would have been an entire CD worth of space without the instrumentals, a capella or vocals&piano mixes, as they are pretty much the original versions with simply the respective parts removed.

Jan

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Jan, people love those instrumentals and the piano and vocal pieces. It seems to be popular amongst fans. So, to remove that particular part of the set would be a mistake.

Greg's got a point on this track thing. You can't just chuck stuff into the box and hope it'll stick. I think the Freddie box set is a really nice piece of work. Nice to open up and browse through with some interesting bits and bobs.

Adam.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Adam,

yes, and I am definitely not complaining about the Freddie box. I love it. And how far does perfection go anyway? I personally care for tracks that Freddie was definitely involved in and had control over. So every remix after 1991 is something I so don't need to hear or have. But other people and completists have a different opinion. That's ok. And I also accept the occasional mistake as something I notice and smile about. Anyone remembers Rick Sky's Freddie biography? I think everybody gets something for themselves out of such a box or any release. To me it is an abundance of tracks and lots of great photos in a nice package. So really, I'm not complaining. We are just used to a lot of perfection from the Queen camp up until 1995, I guess. Like they would withdraw copies of Queen II just because of a printing error on the cover. These times seem to have gone. But that's ok.

Speaking about the box set, another question. Is the front cover picture an actual photograph of Freddie or just a very good print like a glossy postcard?

Jan

freddie lives 28817 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there are certainly TWO tracks that I think should have been in the set, one of which is a MAJOR oversight, and that is the 1985 Brazil 12" 6:34 Remix which is a valid DIFFERENT remix released at the time - NOT a remix done years later. It's different, not an edit - so yes, that should have been included.
That track would have been a better track to add to the recent Singer Of Songs CD release than all those shitty dance remixes of Love Kills - at least it's "proper" Freddie.

Also, there's the demo version of "Lady With A Tenor Sax" that EMI had up on their (private) ftp site before the set came out that is instrumental at the end where the last verse is, rather than the appalling obvious "stick on" from the released Billy Squier album that ended up on the set.

Apart from that, I can understand you not putting on the other things John mentioned (apart from the other unreleased demos if they exist)

By The Way - what's the story with the other unreleased demos that surfaced on the net a few years ago like "you are the only one"????

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved the Freddie box, and agree that pointless numerous versions of the same song would be useless. I think what people do get annoyed at is when they find out that there are actual whole (or part) songs missing that we don't know much about (eg the Michael Jackson + Freddie tracks) - unfortunately, as Greg points out, although we want to hear all these rarities, we can't all know the legisitics of whether a song can be included i.e. do Mercury Songs own the copyright etc...

What does annoy me however is that the big quote on the back cover of the new Freddie 'In His Own Words' book says something like, "do anything with my work but never make me boring" - they then release a whole CD of samey dance remixes, which bores most listeners to tears!

unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I have a question: Isn't it possible to release the Freddie Mercury Boxed set and/or the Queen Boxed set in 'sections', so you don't have to buy one big box at once, but instead to 'pick' what you want?

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie lives wrote:

Also, there's the demo version of "Lady With A Tenor Sax" that EMI had up on their (private) ftp site before the set came out that is instrumental at the end where the last verse is, rather than the appalling obvious "stick on" from the released Billy Squier album that ended up on the set.

Well, I don't see how it's appalling. And it's stuck on to demonstrate how Freddie influenced Billy on the final version of the track. Seems pretty logical to me. What use would a bit of instrumental at the end do? Nothing, which is why Billy's version shows up on the same track to demonstrate Freddie's input. If you don't appreciate that, there's nothing there to criticise.

Adam.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't anybody ban this tart?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg: Thanks for the feedback, it is always a pleasure to discuss all things Queen (and related) in a gentlemanly and logical fashion.
I think you misunderstand the meaning of my response, so please let one of my fellow Queenzoner's spell it out for you...

Togg wrote:

I seriously doubt that John meant all of the versions of every song should be there, but there are one or two notable exceptions that I would also hope Greg feels could/should have been included.

So while I agree it would have been impractical (but not impossible) to include ALL the above tracks, I STILL think all of the Ibex material COULD have been included at no extra expense, just as I believe that the live Dave Clark material COULD have been included also, but, as you know that is only my opinion.

A complete lists allows others to make their OWN choices based on informed opinion - and not be seduced by the product alone.

I realise that you will now have to reply with some catty or sarcastic comment, or like the coward you are, wind up others to do your dirty work for you. However, my belief in freedom of speech means that I must continue to suffer your insult and tantrums, but unfortunately for you, it also means that I am allowed to point out, that in my opinion the box set could have been bettered.

Now, any chance of a half decent response?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
.Jony. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Azzleeno wrote:

First off - Greg's totally right that releasing all of those other ump-teen versions of songs would have been awful and boring....HOWEVER, the way he said that fact with "twat", etc. and all of the other name calling anti-vibe in his message made his solid message totally irrellevent. I am distanced from this crap enough to separate Greg's correctness on the topic from his child-like approach to JSS but most will be pissed.

Bummer Greg - you take a perfectly good factual post and turn it into a boring/annoying children's game. I wouldn't be surprised if QUEEN Productions fires you for this kind of crap someday soon. As much as I have appreciated you contributions, writings, etc. to our beloved band you are just behaving like a fool.

hypocrite in the extreme.

JSS uses all that language and then some. everybody does. they are irrelevant too then.

John S Stuart

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.Jony. wrote:

Azzleeno wrote:

hypocrite in the extreme.

JSS uses all that language and then some. everybody does. they are irrelevant too then.

Excuse me, but I think I am due an apology here. At the top right hand side you will find a search button. Punch in my name, and bring up ALL my previous posts.

You will find that I have NOT used such language, nor do I deliberately bate or belittle people.

Please do not mistake my quantity of posts with a lack of quality.

John S Stuart

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

I didn't think so...

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

I didn't think so...

Started talking to yourself? Not a good sign!

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

John S Stuart

Posted: 26 Oct 06, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

I didn't think so...

Started talking to yourself? Not a good sign!

Why not?

It's only vocalised thought after all.

Besides, some of our most famous leaders like Winston Churchill spoke to himself, and he was one of the greatest orators the world has ever known. He claimed it let him articulate his thoughts more clearly.