Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Greg Brooks explains something... just for those who are interested

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the thread entitled 'Reply To Greg', Cwazy Little Thing (Matt) raised a good point which I responded to in detail. But, I keep seeing, in threads all over this site, people saying "Greg will never do this or that now, not any more" or "Greg gets such a slating here that he won't bother to answer serious questions, and I don't blame him" etc.
Anyway... I addressed this issue and I'd like to paste it up here as an isolated thread so that ALL Qz-ers who are interested (and there's a lot of them spread throughout copious threads) can understand my position.

Those of you who dislike me, and whom have no interest, just ignore this lengthy posting. It's as simple as that. You can move on to another more interesting posting and not waste your time, or mine, or that of the fans who have since expressed thanks and/or constructive comment about this (on Matt's thread)

But here it is for those who want to understand where I stand, and how we reached the current situation.

Thanks again to Matt for a sensible, calm and greatly refreshing attitude and suggestion/request. I genuinely appreciate it....

*************************** here is what I wrote yesterday....

SEE BELOW

GB

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Matt,

Your question/suggestion is a fair one. I'll do my best to offer an appropriate response. It will antagonise certain QZ-ers, but that's the normal and predictable reality I'm afraid.

No matter how nicely or considered I say the following things, it will not be sufficient or acceptable to some. That's the way it is.

In principal I don't mind answering questions about Queen and the archive - though my scope is necessarily limited. People always forget that it's okay for an accountant in a London firm, for example, or John Prescott's Personal Assistant, or a legal secretary working in Cambridge, etc etc, to respect company confidences and privileged information, and to be discret and to generally keep certain company data which they are privy to, to themselves, but when I do that, Queen fans, especially on QZ, get very arsy and angry. That's always been strange to me; that adults cannot come to terms with this rudimentry fact.

Just like everyone who works for a successful company - be it MacDonalds, EMI, HMV, Boots, Queen Productions or Toys R Us - I too have to keep things to myself. My position is one of great trust and I enjoy and respect that side of it. I have to try and strike a happy medium between respecting Queen's wishes, and playing 'middle man' to the fans (and I am a great fan too, keep in mind).

Jim Beach once said to me that I could, indeed should, talk about the Queen archive and out-take recordings, etc, but in a limited, reasonable and sensitive way, and only to inspire web chat and general interest. You can see the logic of this. At the time, 1997, there was serious talk of a Queen anthology collection and our little team was buzzing with ideas and notes and suggestions to that end.

Ultimately, that box did not happen due to decisions made by the band which are no business of mine. Like everyone else, I was disappointed, but that's life, and that is my job too, in this instance. We all have to contend with such things in our work; I'm no different. I just got into the next task asked of me, and then the next, and so on. And then the Freddie box project emerged and that was a fascinating journey. It was a kind of consolation for the shelved Queen box/s. I put my heart and sould into that - as did Justin, Richard, Kris, Jim, etc.

As part of semi-promtion for that box, in 1999, Jim suggested I answer questions with fans where I could, raise profile and interest, get people talking about it, and, as it were, help in creating a stir. So... I did all those things, including attending the Dutch convention of 1999 or 2000, and the UK one, etc, and I started playing rarities (ok'd by JB and Q) and then the questions started pouring in.

Yes it is true that my way of dealing with hundreds of questions at a time, to keep myself sane and interested, was often to be sarcastic or funny or whatever, AND serious too, but that is ME, that is MY personality. That was my way of dealing with it. We are all different.

I recall Pete Malandrone and I going on to certain sites one day, like QZ, and covertly creating "a stir". This we did by answering serious questions and by starting proper threads, but, yes, also by starting bogus threads and rumours... to get tongues wagging, cause a mysterious stir and a flurry of activity, increase profile. Just in good fun. And it worked. A MASSIVE volume of Freddie threads thrived and everyone was talking about various healthy topics. This is how I originally came to QZ. The rest is history. I view all of that as legitimite and reasonable raising of profile... using our initiative to promote the FM box and general discussion. Nothing more or less.

Matt... I feel that since then: 1998-2006, I have more or less said everything, said it all, told all that I can. Given alI the Queenonline web questionaire pages, and various other web sites, and the QFC appearances, etc, this past 9 years, I reckon I have answered 2,000 questions or more - though pro

GB
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, thanks for the nice post Greg. My only hope is that someday, there will be a new addition to the archives to hint at. ;-)

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Greg...

I heard you played some rare demos on the Dutch convention...

Will fans from any other country ever hear those demos?

Cheers.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

K, if that ^^^^ wasnt clear enough i think the only thing that would work would be to bash some dumbasses in the head...

would that get his point across? Ah, probably not.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent post Greg - thanks very much for the way in which you responded, and finally managed to get your point across to everyone on the site with dignity and honesty.

I sincerely hope that, if you keep responding to posts in such a tone, that most people will give you a hell of a lot more slack.

Cheers

cmsdrums

WilliamFraser user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First time poster, but long time reader.

I have no axe to grind with Greg, but one sensible letter and it seems that everyone in here is hypnotised. Am i thre only one to see through this?

For months people like John S. Stuart and Your Valentine and others have been asking Greg to behave like an adult and he has always returned nothing but rudeness and hostility. His behaviour has alwys been childish and and bullying.

He is nothing but a spoilt brat.

Then I wondered what brought about this change of heart, and I read some old posts.

He can not research, he can not read and he can not write. His work has pased throgh a committe, and been verified by us the reader, and even then he can not get it right. You could not answer any questions except pick nits, and you were even beat at that.

Now he sees hes not importanr he has to show his nice side.

I am not am fan of John S Stuart either, but if I could vote to keep one only it would be John because he has done more good in here than he has bad. He gives information. Gerg is the otherway around. He can not even confirm old stuff like a list he has already used for conventioins.

It will take more than one letter of appollogy to convince me Greg, and as yet, you still have not done nothing ecept offer a half decent excuse and we all can do that.

So untill you come up with the goods and keep a civil tongue in your head you will always be behind.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its not a half decent excuse you idiot, its technically what he has to do to retain his job. If you were the archiviest you wouldnt go around shouting about everything and risk losing your job. Take it up with the members of queen, not Greg.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I might be an idiot - but not as daft as you my blind friend.

He could of said that months ago, instead of being a dick, and just keep crying and causing fights.

Instead he started all the queenzone fights. Then he admits he lies and likes to do it coz its fun. He evn says he was a spy in here to coz trouble. Starts trouble runs away and laughs coz ecveryone is left fighting. Everyone can see what he does. and one letter can not defend him. But because he has raritys everyone sucks his ass so they can get some to.

If that is not being a knobhead, what is?

Yes, its his job, and yes he needs to keep quiet, but he has no class or no style. He is a bruiser. and he likes to coz trouble.

But you can not admoit that.

And that is my opinion and you can not chage it.

Then he says people are bitter and jealous. Why.
In a few years time we will all have his rare stuff legal, and he will have no job.

So he who laughs last laughs the longest. and who will be bitter then!

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so your way of thinking is that we have to have this...hold on past things people have done? He apologized, let it go.

And im not blind, I just choose to laugh at idiots like you who wont let go.

and sorry, but I dnt ever thing all the queen archive will be made available to us. Facts of life.

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg.. Is that you?

It's strange. You actually just made perfect sense.
But... Why didn't you make all this clear before, rather than acting like a spoilt 4 year old?

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So if someone rapes your mother and says sorry - you just say let it go?

Greg has been a stirrer in here for years.
He is a trouble-maker.
He is a bruiser. and would not know the truth if it bit him on the bum.

Just wait. nesxt week he will be back to his old self.

I could let it go, but a lepard never changes his spots. and I do not trust him. He is a laughing cobra in your face. And when you are not looking he will bite you too.

Why do you not admit that telling lies and spying and cosing trouble is sneaky. Cos it is not the way to behave for ayone. so I will not let it go. and that is my opinion cos its the truth and the truth hurts.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WilliamFraser wrote:

He is a trouble-maker.

I could let it go, but a lepard never changes his spots. and I do not trust him. He is a laughing cobra in your face. And when you are not looking he will bite you too.

Why do you not admit that telling lies and spying and cosing trouble is sneaky. Cos it is not the way to behave for ayone. so I will not let it go. and that is my opinion cos its the truth and the truth hurts.

No you idiot, rape is on a completely differant scale than childishness.

I find it incredibly stupid that you find the need to compare the two, you dumbass. And if next week he's back to his "old ways" then I'll tell him to buzz off. But as of now he's being fine and civil, so leave it alone you tard.

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WilliamFraser wrote:

He is a trouble-maker.

Hey mate, do you have nothing better to do then to continue to argue? Why dont you just leave WhatMustHeThink alone. You obviously have a problem if you contribute so much thought into why Greg is such a bad archivist. To even bring up rape to raise a point, how pethetic of you. Just do yourself a favour and keep your opinions to yourself. And you are quite correct, the truth hurts, and truth be told, you are acting like a real pompous jerk at the moment.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do not start.

OK he's fine now, but all he has ever done is cos trouble. and that is my opinion. and you can not get me to change my mind.

My opinion is as good as yours. what makes yours better.nothig. and I am free to say what i like.

He is a bully and a trouble maker and you can not deny it.

And if you do not like my rape example, you can lump it. but its true. if you dont likeit try another.

once a trouble maker always a trouble maker. it is no wonder this country is going to the dogs with this sort of ideas.

I do not forget and I do not forgive. but thts me. OK. and remember I can say waht I like. cos its true.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WilliamFraser wrote:

I do not forget and I do not forgive. but thts me. OK. and remember I can say waht I like. cos its true.

You must have no friends, no wife, no girlfriend, no family, no nothing if you cant forgive. Grow up.

SK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 812 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

WilliamFraser wrote:

You must have no friends, no wife, no girlfriend, no family, no nothing if you cant forgive. Grow up.

Haha, aw..Forget about him, he's a sad little boy if he puts so much thought into this sort of shit haha.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apostrophe(') wrote:

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

WilliamFraser wrote:

Haha, aw..Forget about him, he's a sad little boy if he puts so much thought into this sort of shit haha.

Youre probably right now arnt you. I bet its a stupid 12 year old boy with no life, because thats certainly how he types. Because, has no O in it. And your missing about 5 letters.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as per normal,what started as a half decent discussion has deteriated into another slanging match.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WilliamFraser, you are a mean spirited sod, looking for attention on the back of an otherwise healthy and constructive thread. You have a tainted warped idea of things and you're not willing to listen to your fellow QZ-ers, because you think you know best. You don't know best. You know nothing. You understand nothing. You have a fixed idea in your mind and you're not open to change it. I have no time for individuals like you... and niether does anyone else here, quite clearly.

I don't know why it is that certain people, usually under the age of 20, and in this case YOU, feel the irresistable need to try and twist healthy comment into something nasty or dark. You are the perfect example of the kind of person I cited in my main comments to begin this thread.

I will bet you are 20 or under. I'm right, aren't I????

It's exactly like Togg said the other day... soon half term break will be over and horrible-minded sods like you will be back to school - leaving the grown ups to converse without unhealthy distraction.

How about raising your game, you nasty sod?

GB