Forums > Personal > Gallapogos Islands - Togg, you've worried me now

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Togg,

You got me thinking seriously now about this Gallapogos Islands thing.

I've been pondering the issue of visiting, but in so doing further buggering up the delicate ecology there, as you described - which has been so efficiently undermined by other insensitive sods like me.

But... I want to meet those giant tortoises. I want to give one or two of them a seriously fat lettuce sandwich. I've been looking forward to that for years, but never had the money. We want to go for it in 2007.

What does one do? It is a serious dilemma. The authorities are letting people in. Why? Why are they doing this if it is at the expense of the very land the creatures live on? It's a mystery to me. I did my homework, but I'm still none the wiser... not really.

Are you seriously questioning whether to go or not, or just saying that? I need to make a decision soon.

Ta

GB
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it worth asking what you're talking about?

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In one of the other threads, Greg mentioned that he was going to use the royalties from one of his books to go on vacation to the Galapagos Islands. Togg mentioned he was planning to do the same at some point, too.

Meh.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That bit makes sense.. but Greg still doesn't.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Poppy... Is it worth asking what you're talking about?

GB: I'm looking at going to meet giant tortoises. They fascinate me. How could they not?

Togg is having to ponder the same dilemma as me and I was wondering what decision he'd made.

This original comment came out of me explaining why I would not be sending the royalties of my book to Richard, for QZ consumption. I had explained that due to all the 'publicity' on QZ, good and bad and bad and badder, about my Q live book, it had suddenly sold over 800 unexpected copies. This baffled and pleased my publisher and he asked me why I thought it had happened.

It is due to my lovely adoring fans at QZ, I told him. All publicity, it seems, is indeed good publicity... even the mad zombies on QZ who love to hate my stuff. You know how popular I am Poppy. Right?

Anyway... an unexpected tangent grew. Tortoises.

Now, do you think it was worth asking what I was talking about?

GB
Meh.

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, no, but thanks for explaining.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can almost hear violins when you two talk.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, yes I do have some issues with this, on the one hand it would be amazing to see them, but at what cost? if we all decide to go there then in time it will become another Disneyland and they will be just another more expensive version of a ride in the park.

I want to take my daughter, but she can't go until she's twelve (five at the moment) so do we wait and show her at that point or do we go and see something that may not last much longer.

I believe in showing children as much of the world as possible and both my wife and I have always wanted to visit the islands. A few years ago we went to Alaska and I can honestly say it was the most interesting holiday I have ever been on, hoping over to Spain just doesn't do it for me anymore (not that it ever did!)

However, the last thing I want is to be part of the downfall of such an amazing and unique place and simply visiting and increasing the demand will like it or not have a knock on effect.

My guess is that my curiosity will get the better of my conscience and I will visit shortly, however, it will definitely not be next year as we finally decided and booked Australia this weekend, so the Galapagos will have to wait until 2008 when we will go through the same issues and questions.

If you do decide to go, I would be interested in your views on returning.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

LMAO.

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Zebonka...

NO OFFENCE, BUT I CAN ONLY IMAGINE YOU DRIBBLING SPIT DOWN YOUR CHIN AND ON TO YOUR STAINED VEST, WHEN YOU TALK.

NO VIOLINS MATE.

NO VIOLINS WOULD BE A GREAT NAME FOR A SONG.

GB

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you do decide to go, I would be interested in your views on returning.

OK Togg. I'll let you know.

We have established that such a trip is hugely expensive. MUCH more than we thought, and we were thinking big.

I need to sell another 1,000 books.

Can anyone suggest a good way to REALLY get tongues wagging here on QZ? That last bunch of apparent bad press did wonders for sales... rather curiously.

It's looking like we too might put it off til 2008. Like you said, Togg... you'll go all that way, finally make it to the GI's, and there one evening you will find me chatting at length with a 150 year old tortoise!!!!!!!

What a prospect.

GB
Togg

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If that's the case for god's sake don't tell him about the missing 17mins of Bo Rap, it might be just enough to shock him into a coma at 150 years old ;-)

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what a family of giant tortoises would do if we left a tape machine playing, not too loud, the Bo Rhap backing track, somewhere close to where they all gather?

They's be curious I guess. I imagine they would respond to a certain pitch or frequency. They'd probably love John's bass!!!

They might hate Queen.

James Blunt might be more their thing?

GB
Togg

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well they say give 12 monkeys a type writer and they will eventually write the works of shakspear (or something like that)

Working on that assumption, maybe they would be able to sing the harmonies to the middle section if left long enough!

Togg

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now I have to say if I do eventually visit the Islands and I do come round a corner to see you and twelve tortoises singing the middle section to Bo Rap I will certainly stand you a beer!

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, enjoy the vacation on us.., take LOTS of pics and maybe have tortise stew once or twice.. (ok.. so I can't spell.. don't blame me, blame... well.. ok.. blame me.. )

When I was in the Navy I had the wonderful experience of swimming in the Mariana's Trench, the deepest part of the ocean in the world.. and I tell ya, it was scary.. not knowing WHAT was below ya.. only a handful of us dared to go in, and just 3 of us stayed in the whole hour.. my most fond memory of that was swimming as far down as I could before I had to come back up for air.. I think I would have enjoyed GI.. I used to LOVE adventure..

By the way, my biggest claim is being able to proudly state I have been on EVERY Hawaiian Island with the exception of Nihau.. and that is completely off limits to non natives.. (of course I did contemplate renting a boat and having troubles nearby so I would HAVE to swim to shore just to have them call for help.. but never did it)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

NO OFFENCE, BUT I CAN ONLY IMAGINE YOU DRIBBLING SPIT DOWN YOUR CHIN AND ON TO YOUR STAINED VEST, WHEN YOU TALK.

NO VIOLINS MATE.

NO VIOLINS WOULD BE A GREAT NAME FOR A SONG.

None taken my good man! I won't hold it against you for being wrong; If being wrong were a crime, I'd have to have 85% of the people I know shot!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg Brooks is planning on going to Galapagos Islands to re-write Darwin's theory of evolution.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Greg Brooks is planning on going to Galapagos Islands to re-write Darwin's theory of evolution.

Then we will have no worries.. he will get 85% wrong anyways.. ;-)

Sorry, I HAD to say that.. I know someone else would have.. LOL

I have nothing against GB..

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man, does this sound like an emigration or what!?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."