Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen: Complete Works (Book)

forum rss feed
Author

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, so I'll ask the author - why is it coming out in the States almost 5 months after the UK release?

(And is it ok to drum up some business for you by providing a few links?)

DJ's the man we love the most
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 06, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Heeeeeeey, who's this thread for?

Yes, considering I've been talking about my book recently, I suppose I'll spill the beans a bit. "Queen: The Complete Works" is being released on November 26th, 2006, in the UK, and - as of right now - on April 1st, 2007, in the US. I contacted my publisher about this, and he said that it was because the company (Reynolds & Hearn) is based in the UK, their US sister company (Trafalgar Square) publishes a season behind. I don't understand why, but this is how it is. He then went on to say that in the age of online shopping (Amazon and all that), the whole "season behind" thing is redundant, and that it will most likely be brought up in the US publishing date.

What I would suggest is that if you live in the US and don't want to wait until April, order it from the UK Amazon.

And posting some links would be great, I don't think I've got any on me right now...

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't remember what your book is about. Can you remind us since there's a nice new thread about it?

Adam.

lizardmaker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bizarre coincidence: This book is being released on my birthday in the UK, and on my husband's birthday in the US! How did they know???

Anyway, I found this blurb on Amazon:

Mixing and clashing an outrageously eclectic set of influences—the close harmonies of the Beatles, the guitar pyrotechnics of Jimi Hendrix, the heavy sound of Led Zeppelin, and the glamour of David Bowie—Queen found a winning formula by channeling this strange cocktail through its charismatic frontman, Freddie Mercury. More than a decade after Mercury's death, Queen's fan base continues to grow. This meticulous, session-by-session, album-by-album, tour-by-tour chronicle of the band is the book that Queen fans have been waiting for.

You lot of tarts.

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That description is a bit of hyperbole... the "session-to-session" thing should read as "song-by-song", but I don't write the blurbs.

Basically, my book is a reference guide. There are ten or eleven sections, with the first three (songs, albums, and live shows) taking up a considerable portion of the text. I also go into pre-Queen and post-Queen bands, but the live stuff is a broad, general overview - not too specific, because someone else on this board is working on an indepth live Queen book.

The songs and albums are the main points of interest. I "review" every song - released, unreleased, and live - and augment it with quotes, reviews, and any information about the recording process. This doesn't include just Queen songs, it also includes solo songs. Same with the albums, except they are in chronological order instead (in the songs section) of in alphabetical order.

My inspiration for the book was Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie. Even if you're just a casual Bowie fan, I recommend the book highly. When I first got it, I had only one or two albums and maybe a greatest hits, but once I started to read that book, I picked up most of his albums that I could find so that I could explore the nuances of his music all the more. That's what I'm hoping people will do with my book.

Oh, and lizard, I knew beforehand that those dates were important to you, so I mentioned it to the publishers and they did me a favor! ;)

kc kopite 107 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Lester

i didnt realise this was your book i saw it on Amazon UK a few days ago and have already ordered it

good luck with the book if its half as good as the Bowie book (which is absolutely wonderful) you mentioned it will be brilliant am looking forward to the end of November already

KC
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wishing you tremendous success and positive reviews on your book Lester!!! Looking forward to getting a copy once it hits the States.

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very Nice.. however I must ask... Was there any kind of reaction to the naming of the book when there is a book already called Queen: the Complete Works... published by EMI music back in 1985 although I know it's no longer available and is pretty much nothing but music notations with some black and white photos..

Mine is so worn out that it's missing pages.. ok.. it's missing ONE page and that went to my girlfriend a couple years ago.. :)

Gratz on the book though.. good luck.

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Preston wrote:

Very Nice.. however I must ask... Was there any kind of reaction to the naming of the book when there is a book already called Queen: the Complete Works... published by EMI music back in 1985 although I know it's no longer available and is pretty much nothing but music notations with some black and white photos..

Mine is so worn out that it's missing pages.. ok.. it's missing ONE page and that went to my girlfriend a couple years ago.. :)

Gratz on the book though.. good luck.

Hah! I found my brother's copy of the same book! And predictably, in tatters! It's split in half, missing out a few songs.

Adam.

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I didn't come up with the name of the book... I was expecting it to go along with the other "The Complete [musician/band]" pattern that R&H had established, but maybe they thought "The Complete Queen" didn't sound good, I dunno. Or maybe the publishers were trying to tie it in somehow to The Complete Works... anyway, I'm not sure, but long story short, the title wasn't mine, but I doubt I could've come up with anything better.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I pre-ordered it. I am very very much looking forward to this.

"Queen: I Want It All" has decreased from £21.94 to £19.95 since I pre-ordered it - amazing:)

I do not want any google ads here.

you_rock_my_socks06 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ha now America knows what it feels like to get stuff last XD
Seriously though you guys are lucky u get pretty much everthing first well before it hits the UK.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You'll sign mine, will you not? ;)

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent job Lester!!!! I can't wait to get my copy. I've also pre-ordered.

:)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I pre-ordered too :-)

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Congrats Lester! I've pre-ordered the book too. Coincidentally, it's due out the day before my birthday, so you must have received the cheque I sent you... :-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I get a free autographed copy, yes? ;)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 30 Oct 06, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

I think I get a free autographed copy, yes? ;)

What the hell for??? :P

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 06, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wondering if this book is going to put an end to the question who wrote what on the miracle and Innuendo albums?